Why isn

jpnyc

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

1) Plek is no guarantee of perfection, it takes time to set up each one correctly. Gibson is an example of inconsistent work on their Plekked guitars.

2) They have to pay a license/patent fee everytime the machine is run. That's one of the reasons Plek jobs run so much.

So, it's best used in a shop by a trained luthier who can get the most out of it.

BTW, many mass production companies, including Gibson, skip final dress, crown and polishing anyway.

• Members

Inattentiveness with a Plek machine will yield poor results. As was mentioned already, Gibson manages to mess up a Plek job here and there. Plus, have you ever gone into a store and picked up a(ny) guitar? Manufacturers don't set anything up right now anyway. Ergo, a Plek is a pointless expense as the guys at the factory would probably just keep their lunches in it or something.

• Moderators

Only processes that are a unique necessity ever get taken up as being de rigeur.

PLEK goes in the same bin as Buzz Feiten, Circle Fretting etc.

Old timers call it reinventin the wheel.

If you prep the fretboard before fretting, and fret well, all is good in the world, even better if ya fretted with stainless steelthumb.gif

Quick fret level and time for some bedroom action, not PLEK

PLEK SHREKshrek1.jpg

• Members

I own 6 guitars. 5 of them are PLEK'ed.
The work was done at Crossroads Guitar Shop.
"Vince" is the owner & he was trained on PLEK by Joe Glaser.
Joe Glaser is the #1 guitar tech in Nashville. Joe Glaser is the man.

It's important that the tech knows how to use & run the PLEK machine.
A properly PLEK'ed guitar plays like a dream....SERIOUSLY.
I will not own a guitar that has not been PLEK'ed.
Having a properly PLEK'ed guitar is the ultimate in guitar satisfaction.

• Members

^^^ derailed my entire train of thought...smile.gif

I have a Wechter that was Plek'd Plays great. Sounds like crap, but plays great. Unplugged, the thing is like an old Ferrington, just lifeless.

All my Reverends were touched by he mighty Zak Green. All are setup wonderfully.

There are still many companies that give a shit. I really don't think Gibson, on the highest level, does. All they are doing is pimping the brand. Until you break about 2.5 K, there are many better options, likely due to the smaller companies spending time on setup before it reaches a customer. Also, as someone pointed out, a great tool in the hand of a divorcee....err untrained employee is almost worse than a bad setup.

• Members

The Plek process is now being used in manufacturing by Gibson, Fender, Martin, Takamine, Warwick, and G&L. As well, any guitar can be plekked. (In my area, New York City, there are 14 area shops that have a Plek machine and offer the service.)

For those who may be unfamiliar with the Plek process, here's a video that explains it really well.

• Members

I had one of my ESP's PLEK'd, and afterwards had the highest action of any of my guitars. I wanted the action to be low, and when I spoke to the shop owner and asked him why, he shrugged and said that it is guaranteed to be the lowest action that can be on THAT guitar. Biggest waste of money. I have also bought new G&L Legacies that were inconsistant as well and fresh off the machine.

• Members

WOW what a great video that an education.

now of course the BIG questions are

1) whats it cost (average)

2) in the video it says the machine does these things by a set of "recommended measurements" where did those come from? I mean I'm sure they are based no a dozen different variables, but if they are in a book somewhere, than obviously an approximation is available by hand

my interesting note is that almosy EVERY book, magazine, video that I have seen in the last 2 years has started with, "although your guitar probably doesnt NEED a fret redress..."

Who are THEY buying from?

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by bernardo gui View Post
I own 5 guitars. 6 of them are PLEK'ed.
The work was done at Crossroads Guitar Shop.
"Vince" is the owner & he was trained on PLEK by Joe Glaser.
Joe Glaser is the #1 guitar tech in Nashville. Joe Glaser is the man.

It's important that the tech knows how to use & run the PLEK machine.
A properly PLEK'ed guitar plays like a dream....SERIOUSLY.
I will not own a guitar that has not been PLEK'ed.
Having a properly PLEK'ed guitar is the ultimate in guitar satisfaction.

Just curious.....WTF happens if your neck needs adjustment with seasonal changes? What happens if you change string gauge or tension?

I think the above would throw plekk out the door?

Archived