craigslist...sellers remorse...what would you do...

toneforhire

• Members

Answered a craigslist add for "guitars for sale"
talked to the guy on the phone, told me what he had, so I went to look at them

Saw an epiphone elitist dot AND an elitist LEs Paul Standard...perfect condition, but his prices were a bit high for me, i didnt mean to low ball, but he kept asking what I could afford and I told him...

apparently, having financial problems and he is selling EVERYTHING except his gibson LP and marshall head/cabs...

He called me back a few days later and said he could do it for the amount I wasnted...went there...he was a little hesitant, and I knew it was hard for him to do...told him "just keep them, and if no one else offers more, call me back" but he finally said "nope, lets do the deal"

Ive had these 3 weeks, gigged out with both and they are both great guitars, neither will ever be my #1, but I love em...he calls me today wanting to get them back and refund me the money...he left a message and I havent returned the call yet...

{censored}...3 weeks...and I am supposed to sell them back because he made a mistake...he was cool when I bought them, but a bit douchy when he left the message, like he KNEW he was asking the ridiculous...

Im leaning towards calling him back and saying "sorry, I love these guitars, you made the deal, its done"...

what would you do?

• Replies 146
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

If you don't love the guitars and don't need them, it would be nice of you to sell them back to him. Not necessary in any way whatsoever, but nice.

Alternatively, maybe offer to sell him one of them back and keep the one you like better?

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by guitarman3001

View Post

If it was something I was not completely in love with and didn't really need, I'd probably offer to give him back one of them and let him decide which one. Personally I wouldn't ask him for more money, just the same amount you paid for it.

1+

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by guitarman3001

View Post

Personally I wouldn't ask him for more money, just the same amount you paid for it.

Agreed. If you are willing to let it go then sell it back for what you paid. No need to be an ass about it.

• Members

Depends I guess - do you like them enough that you see yourself playing them regularly ? If so, you bought them fairly and they are yours - he can ask, but you are under no obligation to sell them back. He is a grown up and can live with the consequences of the choice he made.

• Members

If you do not really like the guitars, and he will come to you, then maybe sell them back.

However I gather you got them for a great price, plus you like them, plus he wants you to go over to his place, in that case do not return his calls as it could lead to problems.

• Members

The guitars are yours now so you can do what you want with them. A deal is a deal, especially if it was made 3 weeks prior. If you like them, keep them. If they aren't your thing sell them back to him or someone else. I wouldn't sell them back to him if he plans to flip them again though. Screw that.

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by Chumer View Post
If you do not really like the guitars, and he will come to you, then maybe do it.

However I gather you got them for a great price, plus you like them, plus he wants you to go over to his place, in that case do not return his calls as it will only lead to hassles.
whaaaaaaa?????

add $100

• Members

Pretend there is a fire in your house, and you can only grab one of them. You choose the one that goes.

Tell him you'll sell back the other one at the same price, but throw in a bottle of Jack, or a Key Lime Pie - whatever. He gets one of his fav's back and you spend less on Nyquil.

• Members

Sell them back but explain to him that tge price is now doubled because you have played tgem,, and, well, you are world famous afterall.

Of course he doesnt have to know tgat your world wide fame only reaches a few people in an internet forim but thats just a technicality.

So, yeah. Double the price and then ask him how much he really wants them back.

• Members

In the late 80's I traded a Mustang bass for a Yamaha's headless full scale bass a year later the guy wanted the Yamaha bass back so I just traded it back to him. I only used it for one recording session and really wouldn't miss it . If you really want keep them then do, but if you don't just sell them back to the guy there are a lot of people out there that have fallen on hard times and maybe someday it'll be you.

• Members

Four options:

1. Next time he calls tell him you already sold them. You bought them just to flip them. Sorry, dude.

2. The humane thing would be to just give a guy who is having hard times his guitars back and get your money back. Let him do all the travelling and picking up.

3. Don't even bother with the guy.

4. Next time he contacts you act really disturbed and puzzled, "Hey you sold me the guitars. Now you want them back!?!" See how far he will go to get them back -- how much extra will he throw in for YOUR troubles.

I would do #2.

• Members

Unless you are some kind of masochistic pervert of course. Then temper your behaviour a little.

Thanks for making me sound like an idiot busting into laughter in my office. nice.

As for the deal, I would sell them back. He was cool enough to come to your price and was obviously not real excited to sell in the first place. I would hope if I fell on hard times and sold one of my prizes, someone would be gracious enough to help me out if I wanted to buy them back. At the least, give him an option on one of them.

• Members

Karma says sell them back, but don't meet him at your house. Meet him someplace close to your house, at your convenience. If he doesn't show, or makes some bull{censored} excuse, his loss.

This -- if he shows up, he was sincere and you're doing the right thing. If he doesn't, it's on him...

• Members

I am in the Karma train...A deal is a deal, but if you dont have a need/attachment. Its not worth it. Karma is a .....

I just bought back a guitar I sold years ago...and I was beyond happy that the buyer agreed to let it go. I payed a little more but whatever...

I would absolutely up the price a few bucks for gas and the trouble...

• Members

Or the guy could have gotten a better offer after the fact and feels he can re acquire for more $$$.

3 weeks later Id keep them.

The guy allready has A gibby and Marshal wtf would he be missing from the 2 elitist's.

I smell he wants more $$$ and see's the OP as likely too waffle in his favor.

Look the way I see it you paid a fair price when he was desperate something GC and pawns wouldnt have done.

You saved him and should reap at least a minimal reward ala good deal.

Tell him sorry but thats just not right on his part especially a few weeks later.

Or if you decide too sell them back a loan fee should be order.

This isnt sellers remorse folks its a guy fishing for more $$$ imo.

Archived