Harmony Central Forums
Announcement Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

craigslist...sellers remorse...what would you do...

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse

X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• craigslist...sellers remorse...what would you do...

Answered a craigslist add for "guitars for sale"

talked to the guy on the phone, told me what he had, so I went to look at them

Saw an epiphone elitist dot AND an elitist LEs Paul Standard...perfect condition, but his prices were a bit high for me, i didnt mean to low ball, but he kept asking what I could afford and I told him...

apparently, having financial problems and he is selling EVERYTHING except his gibson LP and marshall head/cabs...

He called me back a few days later and said he could do it for the amount I wasnted...went there...he was a little hesitant, and I knew it was hard for him to do...told him "just keep them, and if no one else offers more, call me back" but he finally said "nope, lets do the deal"

Ive had these 3 weeks, gigged out with both and they are both great guitars, neither will ever be my #1, but I love em...he calls me today wanting to get them back and refund me the money...he left a message and I havent returned the call yet...

****************...3 weeks...and I am supposed to sell them back because he made a mistake...he was cool when I bought them, but a bit douchy when he left the message, like he KNEW he was asking the ridiculous...

Im leaning towards calling him back and saying "sorry, I love these guitars, you made the deal, its done"...

what would you do?
    My divorce is almost final!

If you don't love the guitars and don't need them, it would be nice of you to sell them back to him. Not necessary in any way whatsoever, but nice.

Alternatively, maybe offer to sell him one of them back and keep the one you like better?
    - Gibson ES-335
    - Gibson Hummingbird
    - Fender Strat MIM
    - Ovation Tangent & Tangent Bass
    - Vox AC15C1 - British Racing Green

F-Holes

Originally Posted by GreatDane

the player plays, but the instrument should inspire.

Comment

Everything is negotiable. Have him make it worth your while to sell them back.
      SPAM: Buy my eBook, "Beginning Electric Guitar Design". $4.99 and available at:
      Lulu Edition
      Kindle Edition
      iTunes iBookstore
      Nook Edition

Comment

If it was something I was not completely in love with and didn't really need, I'd probably offer to give him back one of them and let him decide which one. Personally I wouldn't ask him for more money, just the same amount you paid for it.
        Current gear:
        A whole bunch of stuff!

Hear me play at my Soundclick music page. Here.

Comment

Quote Originally Posted by guitarman3001
          View Post

If it was something I was not completely in love with and didn't really need, I'd probably offer to give him back one of them and let him decide which one. Personally I wouldn't ask him for more money, just the same amount you paid for it.

1+

Comment

Quote Originally Posted by guitarman3001
            View Post

Personally I wouldn't ask him for more money, just the same amount you paid for it.

Agreed. If you are willing to let it go then sell it back for what you paid. No need to be an ass about it.
            - Gibson ES-335
            - Gibson Hummingbird
            - Fender Strat MIM
            - Ovation Tangent & Tangent Bass
            - Vox AC15C1 - British Racing Green

F-Holes

Originally Posted by GreatDane

the player plays, but the instrument should inspire.

Comment

Depends I guess - do you like them enough that you see yourself playing them regularly ? If so, you bought them fairly and they are yours - he can ask, but you are under no obligation to sell them back. He is a grown up and can live with the consequences of the choice he made.
              Good deals with:
              FineYoungFool,adark_one,Gibson2687(x3)tubedrt,tomh 777,Koflan,hvymtl939,shy,dcindc,vangkm, Mr.Pocket,baja85,jjpistols,pinchegordo,Norton666,
              ny300percent.com,paulderlunas,Carbohydrates,GarysB lues,XMahkaihX,JeepDriver,Rokket2005,walleyealx,
              AlleyTrash,BigPimpin'T,frankthomson,Bengal,tobildt eleez,lkdog,slappymcfinkles,Mbomn8r,teleblaster, taylorman22,vidiot72,abrasive,heartben,fretnwail,
              downer01,bobonblonde, KingEdB,andrewemmel,solarpimp,tdepaul1313,kjrocks, suntired, RG 76

Comment

If you do not really like the guitars, and he will come to you, then maybe sell them back.

However I gather you got them for a great price, plus you like them, plus he wants you to go over to his place, in that case do not return his calls as it could lead to problems.
                I've been posting here for years, but lost everything with HC 2.0!

Comment

i u dont love them, sell them

he comes to you

he throws in a $20

...or not.

watev.
                  check out my stuff http://youtu.be/Buya2j06WwURead your Bible, son. Genesis 6:6, Isiah 55:8, John 14:6

Comment

The guitars are yours now so you can do what you want with them. A deal is a deal, especially if it was made 3 weeks prior. If you like them, keep them. If they aren't your thing sell them back to him or someone else. I wouldn't sell them back to him if he plans to flip them again though. Screw that.
                    ♪ Cats 'n' Strats, 'cause that's how I roll

I Surf therefore I am.
                    Strat Blender Pot Modification HERE

Originally Posted by Mike Eldred, Fender Custom Shop

The discussion about nitro (and many things on forums like these) is largely based on folklore, innuendo, and assumption that it "sounds better". Poppycock.

Comment

Quote Originally Posted by Chumer
                      View Post

If you do not really like the guitars, and he will come to you, then maybe do it.

However I gather you got them for a great price, plus you like them, plus he wants you to go over to his place, in that case do not return his calls as it will only lead to hassles.

whaaaaaaa?????

add $100
                      check out my stuff http://youtu.be/Buya2j06WwURead your Bible, son. Genesis 6:6, Isiah 55:8, John 14:6

Comment

Pretend there is a fire in your house, and you can only grab one of them. You choose the one that goes.

Tell him you'll sell back the other one at the same price, but throw in a bottle of Jack, or a Key Lime Pie - whatever. He gets one of his fav's back and you spend less on Nyquil.
                        http://www.harmonycentral.com/t5/Electric-Guitars/I-smeared-bacon-fat-on-my-strat-now-it-stinks/td-p/16697195

Comment

Sell them back but explain to him that tge price is now doubled because you have played tgem,, and, well, you are world famous afterall.

Of course he doesnt have to know tgat your world wide fame only reaches a few people in an internet forim but thats just a technicality.

So, yeah. Double the price and then ask him how much he really wants them back.

"You people keep on raining. I'll still be the parade." - Diamond Dave.

TO HEAR MY COUNTRY BAND: ADRIAN RAY, click THIS or this

Official endorsee of:Breedlove Guitars

http://www.ghsstrings.com

http://www.rocktron.com

http://www.monsterenergy.com/

Myspace.com-Dave Aronow

Comment

Do whatever you feel is right. You're perfectly justified either way. If you do give them back, he's gotta come out to your place to get them. If I'd had any work done on them I'd make him pay for that too.

Comment

Treat people as you would like to be treated yourself and you will not go far wrong.

Unless you are some kind of masochistic pervert of course. Then temper your behaviour a little.

Comment

Working...
                              X