New Gibson SG Project... which direction should I go with it?

eBayfreak

• Members

I picked up a rough Gibson SG this week. According to the serial number, it's a 1991 model. Pickups and controls mean it was probably a Special. It appears to have been horribly repainted and later stripped and stained. Electronics are wired weirdly but the stock pickups are present and sound great. It plays well and has a maple neck with ebony fretboard; weird combo on an SG but I like it!

Anyway, here are pics of it currently...

8119622136_648a623ce7.jpg

8119622926_7b06b1a1e0.jpg

8119610941_f50bccb00d.jpg

So, should I restore to the original configuration and color as seen in the electronics cavity?

85GibsonSGSpecial.jpg

Or go with a vintage look (either Pelham Blue,Inca silver, or white)?

Gibson_Custom_Shop_SG_Standard_Pelham_Bl

Or just make it play and forget about cosmetics? Incidentally, I grabbed it for $125... I think I did ok.

• Members

From the maple neck, ebony board and routing configuration, it looks like it's probably a 3-knob Special? If so, they came with some of my favorite pickups...I'm pretty sure they weren't used anywhere else. I assume PAF clones since they were called "1959 Les Paul Reissues." I just didn't think they made them into the '90s.

Here's a link to some info:

Everything SG - 3 Knob Special

Here's a pic:

4f268755906bca17e6c3c715d33aaa479d660e4b

• Members

Thanks for the replies all! I do think it is a "3-knob Special", though it falls slightly outside of the listed years of production. It's a good player and great tone; much better than the SG Faded that I had for a while. I'm going to pop out the pickups soon and see what they are. Very high output compared to the Duncan Custom Custom in my PRS.

I like the idea of getting cream pickup rings/pickguard, cleaning it up and leaving it cosmetically as-is otherwise for the time being. Later I may revisit the idea of a refinish when I have the spare time. After a quick Google image search, I think it may end up looking like the Jeff Tweedy sig SG without a tremolo.

Archived