Hard to see side dots and fretboard markers?

Cliff Fiscal

• Members

I've got a really nice PRS CE24, but in dark situations, it's very hard to see the side fret markers and fretboard dots.

It's a maple on maple neck with pearliod style dots.

I can live without seeing the fretboard dots, but those side dots are pretty useful in low light conditions.

Any ideas or thoughts?

I don't want to alter the original condition of the guitar.....as it's semi-collectible vintage.

I thought about stickers, but figured my thumb might rub them off.
Thought of paint, but I'd like it to be removable without damaging the guitar. idn_smilie.gif

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by frankthomson View Post
i think danny gatton has cubic zarconians installed as fret markers icon_lol.gif
on maple necks, i just get a sharpie and make the dots MUCH BIGGER.,
Bling! Bedazzle it! biggrin.gif

Marker, eh?
Does that come off easily without damaging the finish?

Quote Originally Posted by frankthomson View Post
color forms???
not sure what this is?

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by Science! View Post
I don't rely on the dots, but I definitely prefer to have them for reference. lol

Plus this guitar throws me off........always 2 frets off......idn_smilie.gif the neck is farther out to the headstock side or something.
I hear that! Every guitar I own has a bit different heel...,usually not a problem until I switch to one that has a rosewood board and green mop dots. In certain lighting the dots blend in and every once in a while I will slide to the wrong fret! Im gonna replace those dots one of these daysrolleyes.gif

• Members

On my classical I've put little strips of white tape to give me side markers, coz it doesn't have any. They've never come off, but I guess my thumb isn't exactly hanging over the neck on that guitar. I do feel them under the flesh of my thumb sometimes though, so I'm definitely rubbing over them and there's no problem.

I'm thinking about doing the same to my main guitar, which has no fret markers other than a small offset pair of dots at the 12th. It's never really been a problem before, but last week the stage lights hit the guitar at just the wrong time when I needed to get from a riff way low to a chord progression starting up around the 14th, and I just couldn't spot a thing. Couldn't see the 12th, couldn't see the side markers. So I'm thinking small strips of white tape might be in order for that one too. It was a bit odd, coz normally I just grab that first chord without even looking, but I guess I happened to look down, couldn't see a thing and just panicked a bit. I'd rather just make sure it didn't happen again, rather than just hope I don't look down at the wrong time again. redface.gif

I've seen guitarists who also cover vocals putting longer strips (mine are only maybe 5mm long) on, sometimes just at say the 7th and 12th, presumably so they have an obvious reference to feel where they are without having to look down. I'd guess as long as you used something with a decent enough adhesive backing, it shouldn't really be much of a problem. idn_smilie.gif

Archived