Is it just me or does GC have great used deals?

xrleroyx

• Members

Don't forget the cheap shipping.

I haunt eBay so often, I forget there's a real world out there.

But I did see some interesting things when I went to GC a few weeks ago to look at straps. I might have to go back. Plus you can negotiate at the store, which is like a reverse auction.

• Members

I have 4 GC's - no, 5 - from which to choose in the Denver area. I got a great deal on an all solid Peavey acoustic from the 90's (made in Finland). Love it. $99. Also, a fave Squier Tele for $99. Pricing seems to be up to the individual store. That can be good,

Greg

• Members

I got two used guitars from them, A G&L Legacy and a ES-137. I got a pretty decent deal for the ES-137 but it did have a couple cosmetic issues, the G&L's price was pretty much on point considering it's age and condition... don't regret buying either even though neither were AMAZING deals...

• Members

I have bought used from GC several times, and there were some really good deals. Perhaps the best one was an Epi Slash AFD Les Paul with the hsc and all the candy, in mint condition for under $400, and these went new for 1k. Was a GREAT guitar, but the neck was too chunky in the long run for me :(.

Just picked up a MIM FSR Strat in near-mint condition for $299 (new $499).

Seems, though, that in my area they are pricing the used stuff much higher recently, but there are still some bargains to be had. There's a store in Yonkers that just marked down a used PRS McCarty to $899 :eek: - I almost pulled the trigger...

• Members

I've bought an amp and a bass used at GC. The bass is a six string Ibanez BTB with full Bartolini active electronics, original case, all the case candy that it would have come with new, and even had a nice strap in the case. Around $350, which considering how desperately I wanted a six string at the time was a huge bargain to me. The other was ridiculous. $89 for a Peavey Studio Pro 112 amp, red stripe. That's still my favorite recording amp at home. Doesn't need much volume at all to sound huge. I keep hoping they'll have another one pop up at that price or less. If this one ever goes south I'll be so desperate I might go buy the one that's been sitting at the pawn shop for the last couple years at $180.

I've seen a lot of deals go through the local place on guitars that, if I had the money and the room, I would have snapped up in a heartbeat. There's a $75 Washburn electric that's been tempting me the last couple times I've been in there. I don't need it, but man is it tempting at that price.

• Members

Prices seem good, but i've found that a lot of the used electric guitars at the local GC aren't in very good shape. Both used guitars I've bought got returned due to issues with the electronics. The online pics are pretty worthless.

That said, my local GC doesn't seem that great. When they get new guitars, they often don't even tune them before sticking them on the floor. They're good at reorganizing the store, though ... Seems like whenever I go in, half the inventory has been moved.

• Members

I actually have the opposite reaction. I see the used amps way over priced for used. There are two, yes TWO Line 6 Spider Valve I amp heads there and both are over $400 and they look like they've been rode hard and ridden wet. Hell I remember there were cheaper prices for the old overstock of these new when the Spider Valve IIs came out that summer.

• Members

I actually have the opposite reaction. I see the used amps way over priced for used. There are two, yes TWO Line 6 Spider Valve I amp heads there and both are over $400 and they look like they've been rode hard and ridden wet. Hell I remember there were cheaper prices for the old overstock of these new when the Spider Valve IIs came out that summer.

I think the expression is "Ridden hard, and put away wet" :lol:

• Members

I haven't had the best luck. Purchased a few things because they're the only ones that have it used, or the price.

Each item has had something wrong with it. Nothing major, but things that probably would have steered me away from buying it in person.

I agree.

Considering there are no decent photos at all and the descriptions are just generic, it is just not worth it.

The prices arent even that great.

• Members

I agree.

Considering there are no decent photos at all and the descriptions are just generic, it is just not worth it.

The prices arent even that great.

Most places will send you more pictures and describe the condition for you a little better if you contact them.

These people don't seem to play or test the stuff before telling you it's in good condition and shipping it to you.

I purchased an amp recently. They sent pictures, assured me is was in good condition. Their packaging was top notch.

but.......the amp chassis was coated in dust, and ALL of the knobs were crackling and didn't function.

I cleaned them all and it was fine.....but you'd think they'd mention that.....:o

Archived