Wow! Fender Prototype went for $1500 on Ebay?

fuzztone

• Members

Anyone remember this guitar on Ebay in June? (Link)

"Up for sale is a Hobby shop Instrument that an Employee at Fender had made in the 70's. We are selling for orig owner family member. I dont particularly know much about it. (Electric Boozuki?) ( plectrem?) I've never seen anything quite like it. Has a Mahogany Body, Bolt-On Mahogany Neck,Rosewood Fingerboard, two pairs of octive strings and a pair of single strings. Comes With Hard Case."

KGrHqVHJCME-iF4MvtgBP19km82IQ60_12.jpg

160_58.jpg

360_58.jpg

KGrHqYOKkQE9g9wry1BP19jscPw60_12.jpg

260_58.jpg

KGrHqRHJE0E-uglfkTfBP19kFnLuQ60_12.jpg

So a guy on the Rickenbacker forum bought the guitar and made this vid

This is what he found out about this guitar:

"Just spoke to Phil Kubicki, Roger Rossmeisl's assistant at Fender, on the phone and he said he recognized the thing!

Phil said that Roger tried to introduce so much into Fender's world from his experience at Rickenbacker. He talked a lot about how the checkered binding on the early Fender Coronados and some of the earlier acoustics were Rossmeisl's direct influence. So were the gold pick guards. At at first I was confused with what he was telling me because he said, "Yeah, this thing was from Rickenbacker," but after I got him to clarify a bit, he meant that it was a design Roger brought over from Ric.

Found a bit of photo evidence. The instrument on the table was referred to me by Kubicki. He told me to look for this photo in a book called Guitar Legends by George Fullerton. The guitar on the table with the same shape as mine is called a "Modern Rocker." check the photos on this page (Link)

IMG_7657.jpg

This is the Ebay guitar below

IMG_7664.jpg

Post script. He said he just listed the guitar on Ebay (Link)

T2eC16RzcE9s4g3IoPBQktvtb9Nw60_3.jpg

• Members

It's an oddball with an interesting pedigree.

As far as the $1500 price tag, as I'm sure you all ready know when it comes to the prices of old stuff, it all depends on what is collectible. People probably aren't hanging out the window looking for those things (whatever it is).

Thanks for all the info and photo's though, pretty facinating, I love those oddball guitar things. I hang out at little guitar shop where weird fretted instuments come in sometimes, I'm pretty good with alternate tunings, so it's always fun to try to make some cool sounds with the oddballs. I'd love to get my hands on that instrument.

• Members

If I had a pile of dough, I'd put down a few grand on it.

It's amazing how documenting what it is raises the value. The Eddie Peabody Banjoline is cited in at least a couple of books as an example of how Leo spent time on stuff that would never sell.

Archived