So I ordered a Gibson.

honeyiscool

• Members
89312h-53837acf6b30f268a634c001cf7bd160.

http://www.zzounds.com/item--GIBLPST60

If it's like my usual purchase, it will go through three phases:

1. I love it.
2. I tinker with it.
3. I sell it.

But I have a feeling this one might somehow stick around... because it's in my favorite color (matches my white Fender), doesn't have too many red flags, I know I want a Les Paul, and the soapbars are rad. If I hate them, I can mini-humbucker it. It's just safe in a lot of ways. Wish me luck!

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members
Quote Originally Posted by PunkKitty View Post
Nice. I have a old set of Bill Lawrence mini hums in P90 sized surrounds that I can sell you. I doubt I'll use them.
I think I should float with the stock Gibsons for a while, though. smile.gif

Quote Originally Posted by HanSolo View Post
I have two words for you ... black plastics
I like tuxedo cats, but tuxedo guitars are not as cool as all-pale ones, IMO, of course.

• Members

A friend of mine has one of those. I played it last weekend. It sounds and plays really nice and it was cheap. I would leave it as is and really spend a little while tweaking pickup height and swap it over to 50s wiring.

• Members

The two screws that are not pole pieces. One is between the 4th and 5th string pole pieces, the other between the 2nd and 3rd.

EDIT: oh yeah, and there is foam type stuff underneath the pickup. Obviously the more there is the higher it is likely to sit.

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by honeyiscool View Post
89312h-53837acf6b30f268a634c001cf7bd160.

http://www.zzounds.com/item--GIBLPST60

If it's like my usual purchase, it will go through three phases:

1. I love it.
2. I tinker with it.
3. I sell it.

But I have a feeling this one might somehow stick around... because it's in my favorite color (matches my white Fender), doesn't have too many red flags, I know I want a Les Paul, and the soapbars are rad. If I hate them, I can mini-humbucker it. It's just safe in a lot of ways. Wish me luck!
Nice. You will love the pickups; Gibson p-90s are legendary.

Not so sure I dig the cream, but it's your guitar. Rock it like you bought it smile.gif

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by Bro Blue View Post
Nice. The slim taper 60s neck is my favorite Gibson neck. Enjoy.
Yeah I've really enjoyed those Gibson necks described as 60s. I've hated the thicker ones, but the thin ones are great.

Quote Originally Posted by Buttcrust View Post
I don't know why, guess I'm just lucky but I've had fun playing all the Epi's I've owned.
Well, I was going to Epiphone it up at some point. But then, the Epi I wanted was expensive and I kinda figured, why not up the price just a bit more and get a Gibson?

• Members

Congrats, I've bought quite a few Gibsons over the years and I've been very pleased with most of them. I have a '50s and '60s Trib LP (long boring story) but I do tend to prefer the '60s Trib. (In fact, I recently offered the '50s into my son's custody to "share the wealth" temporarily - but hung onto the '60swink.gif)

That said, I'm still a bit more of a fan of the '60s Trib SGs; I like their vibe. The LPs are pretty light (for a LP) and I believe are naturals for bluesy tones. With their light chambered design, they're still pretty "night and day" compared to a Les Paul Standard, but I definitely do think the 50s & 60s Tribute LPs are righteous guitars in their own right. thumb.gifthumb.gif

Looking forward to reading your review wave.gif

• Members

I don't know why, guess I'm just lucky but I've had fun playing all the Epi's I've owned. I'm waiting for this one

I only have one Epi (I only have two guitars though, so...). My Epi was a gift from my wife two years ago when I started playing. It is a PR4G acoustic/electric. She bought it for me with absolutely no knowledge of guitars and having never, ever played a guitar. Two major no-no's for buying guitar IMO. Anyway, she bought a guitar pack at Best Buy, (most likely with the help of the staff) and gave it to me for my birthday.

I could not have received a better starter guitar. I will never get rid of it as it, despite the low price, is a gem. Never goes out of tune. I know this because I tune my guitar before I play it and I have never had to tune it other than when I change strings and when I first got it. It is a cutaway so I can reach the higher frets and it is slim so it is not so hard to use when standing up.

I play with my brother on a regular basis. His acoustic is a Fender dreadnought that he bought for about 1200 bucks 20 years ago. He prefers to play mine.

I would get another Epi in a heartbeat.

BTW: Very nice guitar you have there!

• Members

Great choice! Not much needs to be tinkered with there... maybe you could rewire it - some new Gibsons have a PCB instead of P2P under the control plate but I wouldn't do this just for the sake of it. Maybe change the plastic fittings - I'm not a fan of cream on white...

And everyone likes Gibson P90s. Unless they're a moron. Or perhaps a death metallist...

Archived