So about my new Gibson Les Paul, here's a quick demo.

honeyiscool

• Members

Thanks for sharing. Good video thumb.gif I have one of those in the gold top (+ the earlier '50s version in ebony) and I don't hear as much hum out of mine confused.gif, but maybe it has something to do with the way it's mic'd.

But yeah, those are a very good value guitar. It's cool that you're groovin on that color scheme. You're making someone at Gibson happy since you're not immediately talking about swapping the creme colored bits for black. I always did think that color scheme had something going for it, maybe not for everyone. But it's a cool retro vibe in that color scheme.

Also, I came within inches of playing "Where Is My Mind" earlier tonight, so I'm going to give myself a refresher on it chord pattern and get into it now.

But glad you're enjoying your guitar. It's gotten to be that there's such a wide variation of guitars that fall under "Les Paul" that it seems like a bit of an anachronism that they are still being called by that name. I mean, I like the Tribute P-90 models, but they're not the same guitar as a '59 RI Standard. I think the chambered and weight relieved models have added quite a few worthy tonal variations. It's like evolution wink.gif

P.S. Maybe they're like the Mustangs of the Les Pauls. thumb.gif

• Members

To be said, my Vox Pathfinder is one of my hummier amps. I definitely notice it a lot less with my Rolands and through the Marshall MG (oh, but I hate that amp) at the rehearsal space. I just have a single room mic on my desk, it's a small condenser, nothing special about it.

I just love the creme on white. It's very Fender of me to like it, but I just love it. I don't really like too many of the traditional LP colors. I like black, I like cherryburst but for the large part, but I love white and I think the creme fits it well. Maybe on a guitar with black bindings, black plastics would work well, but here, I like it as it is.

Yeah, this is not like any Les Paul I've ever played, but in some ways, that's a good thing for me. I've always liked the looks and sounds of a Les Paul, but the actual feel left something to be desired for me. They still have the high priced models for those who want it to feel like a boat anchor, and I think it's nice that Gibson has a $800 entry-level model that will fit a lot of players' needs. I actually have a Les Paul that weighs and costs less than a Fender Mustang. Whoever saw that day coming?

Is your 50s model as light as mine? I'd assume that 50s means thicker neck, but how much? I've played some Studios with the right amount of chunk, and then I've played some that just felt terrible to me, so when it comes to thicker necks, a little goes a long way for me and then there's a point at which I no longer like it.

• Members

I haven't weighed my Tribute LPs (I have both the '50s with the thicker neck & the 60s Trib, and they are indeed both light), but I have weighed my LP Studio Vintage Mahogany (similar build but with a mahogany top) and it's only 6 pounds, 9 oz.

I indeed do enjoy the build of them. I have a '59 RI which I can use as a base to measure all my deviations there from, and I'd say this chambered design adds a more nasally internal resonance, kinda bluesy sounding, which I enjoy as much as the thicker creamier sounds of more traditional LP builds.

I have this one LP DC where I went with a similar color scheme. It was a SDOTD for $999.95. Probably not a color choice I'd have grabbed otherwise, but it really does work for me. I've bought some other knobs for it because I think I'd rather just see all the plastic bits go cream.

IMG_0171-1.jpg

Not a good picture, but maybe you'll still get the idea. It's much more of the classic white rather than the alpine shade.

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by slushpup96 View Post
Time to update the sig
Good call!

Quote Originally Posted by GAS Man View Post
I haven't weighed my Tribute LPs (I have both the '50s with the thicker neck & the 60s Trib, and they are indeed both light), but I have weighed my LP Studio Vintage Mahogany (similar build but with a mahogany top) and it's only 6 pounds, 9 oz.

I indeed do enjoy the build of them. I have a '59 RI which I can use as a base to measure all my deviations there from, and I'd say this chambered design adds a more nasally internal resonance, kinda bluesy sounding, which I enjoy as much as the thicker creamier sounds of more traditional LP builds.

I have this one LP DC where I went with a similar color scheme. It was a SDOTD for $999.95. Probably not a color choice I'd have grabbed otherwise, but it really does work for me. I've bought some other knobs for it because I think I'd rather just see all the plastic bits go cream.

Not a good picture, but maybe you'll still get the idea. It's much more of the classic white rather than the alpine shade.
That's exactly my weight. Well, 6 lb 8.8 oz to be exact, but you get the point. They're so easy to play. In fact, I prefer them to a lot of the Standards or Customs I've played as a result, which makes me think one day, I'll get myself a cheap Tribute, pay someone a lot of money to carve some bindings and get some loud finish like a Gold Sparkle, and have a really unique guitar for the price of a Standard, and have it under 7 pounds, too.

The LP DCs are interesting, but they don't look enough like a Les Paul for me, but my Daisy Rock is almost that exact shape, and I find it doesn't quite balance as well as I'd like to. Thankfully, that's a bolt-on, so I'm able to move the strap buttons to the neck joint area, and then it feels fine.

• Members

My 60s tribute is the lightest guitar I own, but the 50s I had that went back to the factory was nearly as light. I haven't weighed either, but they rival my wife's squier VM tele thinline, which is not only a semi-hollow but short scale to boot.

It's a bit weird, but when I play the tribute through my pathfinder it doesn't sound much like yours. Maybe I just don't run my amp as dirty.

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by honeyiscool View Post
The LP DCs are interesting, but they don't look enough like a Les Paul for me, but my Daisy Rock is almost that exact shape, and I find it doesn't quite balance as well as I'd like to. Thankfully, that's a bolt-on, so I'm able to move the strap buttons to the neck joint area, and then it feels fine.
Well, last year I bought both of those on SDOTDs in one weekend, one on Saturday, and one on Sunday. icon_lol.gif

But it wasn't just about OCD GAS, I'd been watching LP DCs for years. They are essentially within the LP Standard grade of Gibson, but yet they've always been priced less since they just don't carry the panache of the full blown SC LP design. So they start out a few hundred less, go on sale for a few hundred off of that, and then if you're ready at the right time, they might even wander through a SDOTD.

But what I've found since I have had them, is that the cream white HB DC LP is hard to put up. For some reason(s) I'm finding the DCs to be a more comfortable design, and I'm getting the tones I want from an LP out of that guitar. So I guess I'm just saying that the feel and tone can win you over, combined with the value pricing, when you get into a DC. I'd let some DC close-outs get past me in years past, but this time I'm happy on hopped on board. I think I find the balance to also be more secure. The weight is more towards the back and it just seems to anchor the guitar in place whether seated or standing. You'll have to give one a serious try sometime when another good DC deal comes around. And they always do wink.gif

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by PurpleTrails View Post
It's a bit weird, but when I play the tribute through my pathfinder it doesn't sound much like yours. Maybe I just don't run my amp as dirty.
Do you have the standard Pathfinder combo? The 2x10" cabinet has a lot more sparkle and depth than the stock 8" speaker and doesn't distort quite as much and makes it sound like a different amp altogether. I feel like with the 8", when the gain knob goes beyond 5, the amp is flubby and unusable, but with bigger speakers, the gain knob becomes usable throughout its entire range. For more depth and slightly more headroom, a 12" speaker helps. I changed the stock 8" to a Jensen but largely I preferred larger speakers.

The Pathfinder combo does sound good, though, I think P90s are the best kind of pickups for that particular amp thanks to its ability to bring out a certain kind of grainy goodness. One of my favorite sounds involves turning maxing out most of knobs on the Pathfinder and turning down the knobs on the guitar.

Quote Originally Posted by GAS Man View Post
But what I've found since I have had them, is that the cream white HB DC LP is hard to put up. For some reason(s) I'm finding the DCs to be a more comfortable design, and I'm getting the tones I want from an LP out of that guitar. So I guess I'm just saying that the feel and tone can win you over, combined with the value pricing, when you get into a DC. I'd let some DC close-outs get past me in years past, but this time I'm happy on hopped on board. I think I find the balance to also be more secure. The weight is more towards the back and it just seems to anchor the guitar in place whether seated or standing. You'll have to give one a serious try sometime when another good DC deal comes around. And they always do wink.gif
I will keep them in mind. It seems that I've always seen them go for $1000-1200 and the used ones don't go for as much either. Of course, I'm shallow and LP DCs don't have "the look," but I love Gibson necks, so if I meet the right one, I shall consider it.

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by honeyiscool View Post
Do you have the standard Pathfinder combo? The 2x10" cabinet has a lot more sparkle and depth than the stock 8" speaker and doesn't distort quite as much and makes it sound like a different amp altogether. I feel like with the 8", when the gain knob goes beyond 5, the amp is flubby and unusable, but with bigger speakers, the gain knob becomes usable throughout its entire range. For more depth and slightly more headroom, a 12" speaker helps. I changed the stock 8" to a Jensen but largely I preferred larger speakers.

The Pathfinder combo does sound good, though, I think P90s are the best kind of pickups for that particular amp thanks to its ability to bring out a certain kind of grainy goodness. One of my favorite sounds involves turning maxing out most of knobs on the Pathfinder and turning down the knobs on the guitar.

I will keep them in mind. It seems that I've always seen them go for $1000-1200 and the used ones don't go for as much either. Of course, I'm shallow and LP DCs don't have "the look," but I love Gibson necks, so if I meet the right one, I shall consider it.
Yeah, straight stock pathfinder combo here, and I usually float the gain around 3-4, maybe as high as 5-6 on rare occasion. I've thought about doing the LED mod to get more headroom, but I'm somewhat afraid of how loud I'd have to play it to get a little breakup.

The P90s do sound especially good on that amp; I like playing through it straight in, or maybe with just an OD.

Archived