I did something permanent to my LP & I ran out of strings......

twisty571

• Members

So I use to have a satin black SG melody maker and saw a guy who polished it up with Virtuoso polish so I bought some....I sold the SG to a bud before I even attempted it and had the polish still so I decided to try it out on my satin LPidea.gif
before pic
018-1.jpg
after will come tomorrow when I have daylight out to take a good pic but I can say it doesn't look dull anymorewink.gif Not super glossy like my SG but it does look nice IMHO!
Unfortunately I thought I had more strings around but nopefacepalm.gif

Has anyone used Virtuoso before? If I apply more coats will it get even glossier? I hand buffed it for a couple hours as the instructions state but I am wondering how a good buffing wheel would do with it?

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by WhatDoIKnow

View Post

I liked the "before" better. idn_smilie.gif

Me too.

Given that I just got one of these guitars, I don't think you can just polish this finish and expect anything good to come of it. The finish is really thin and the wood looks like it hasn't been filled at all. To get the proper glossy look, I think you'd have to use some grain filler for a whole refinish, or maybe at least spray a couple more coats of clear. Otherwise, it's just going to look like a badly applied attempt at a finish.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by honeyiscool

View Post

I don't think you can just polish this finish and expect anything good to come of it.

Says the guy who put kiddy kitty stickers and crap on everything? IMHO my pics make the old finish look smoother & nicer, but in reality it looked like it was thicker in 1 place or another. I like it better now,and looks better in person. It was no attempt at a refinish, it's just polish. No intentions of ever getting it to a gloss look like my SG,no fantasies of that at all. But what would I expect from someone a know it all mentality,sorry it ain't pink and have kitty crap all over it, I have no taste.

Then again neither do the bunches of folks that have used this stuff and or replied to the guys thread with the original satin SG? I know and understand it's not for everyone but to say what HIC says is hilarious considering his taste & know it all mentallity.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by twisty571

View Post

Says the guy who put kiddy kitty stickers and crap on everything? IMHO my pics make the old finish look smoother & nicer, but in reality it looked like it was thicker in 1 place or another. I like it better now,and looks better in person. It was no attempt at a refinish, it's just polish. No intentions of ever getting it to a gloss look like my SG,no fantasies of that at all. But what would I expect from someone a know it all mentality,sorry it ain't pink and have kitty crap all over it, I have no taste.

Then again neither do the bunches of folks that have used this stuff and or replied to the guys thread with the original satin SG? I know and understand it's not for everyone but to say what HIC says is hilarious considering his taste & know it all mentallity.

thumb.gif

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by homestar_kevin

View Post

the other issue is, this will happen to satin finishes regardless, but by doing the whole thing, at least it was a conscious and purposeful decision.

The satin finishes always buff out a bit naturally with play wear.

Yep. Unevenly.

Looks good to me.

• Members

I am sitting here on a job site waiting for equipment to arrive but thx fellas. I don't really worry about it,I do understand that some may or may not like it. But to say nothing good can come of it is hilarious coming from Mr. Kitty. And yes Kevin I agree, the back of the neck has no polish on it and is slick and shiny,before I did anything to it.

• Members

It's all good,so while I was waiting for equipment I ran out to Denny's and got some dinner. After I typed in guitar into my GPS and low and behold a Guitar Center was 15 miles away! Never have been to one. But I got a call that my equipment showed so I went back to work. On my way home I hit up the Guitar Center 20 minutes before it closed,lol

Got my LP some new accesories and my Orange AD-5 was waiting for me when I got home smile.gif

Orange-ad-5.jpg

I am glad I live a couple hours away from that Guitar Center...I could see myself going broke FAST! If I lived next to it I might have a guitar collection as big as GAS MANS great collection and I may not have a women eithericon_lol.gif

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by twisty571

View Post

IMHO my pics make the old finish look smoother & nicer, but in reality it looked like it was thicker in 1 place or another. I like it better now,and looks better in person. It was no attempt at a refinish, it's just polish. No intentions of ever getting it to a gloss look like my SG,no fantasies of that at all.

What I bolded up there is what I thought when I first looked at your pictures, i.e. that the Satin just photo'd better. I have an ebony '50s Tribute and from your pictures I'd be interested in giving it a try myself. I think with your polish job it will wear and look a bit more like a guitar that maybe did once have a full finish, rather than a guitar where they never bothered to give it the full treatment. But I've got nothing against that either, I've bought Tributes, Fadeds and Satin finished gits. It's all good wink.gif

• Members
What I bolded up there is what I thought when I first looked at your pictures, i.e. that the Satin just photo'd better. I have an ebony '50s Tribute and from your pictures I'd be interested in giving it a try myself. I think with your polish job it will wear and look a bit more like a guitar that maybe did once have a full finish, rather than a guitar where they never bothered to give it the full treatment. But I've got nothing against that either, I've bought Tributes, Fadeds and Satin finished gits.
It's
all
good
;)

Just know if you do try it,you can't go back and thanks I do like it better than the old finish. I am waiting for these steaks to cook and then do my paperwork for work then string her up and try out my new amp :)

Archived