Has anyone tried GHS White Bronze on their electrics?

DarkHorseJ27

• Members

For anyone that doesn't know, GHS White Bronze are acoustic strings where they wound strings are wound with an alloy that is magnetic but is supposed to sound like bronze. They are meant to be acoustic strings that play nice with soundhole pickups.

Has anyone tried these on their electric? If so, what is your opinion of their feel and sound on an electric?

• 1 year later...
  • Members

I did a little research and found that DR strings makes strings call "Zebra" which have alternate windings of bronze and steel. They generally get good reviews and most people feel like they really do get the best of both worlds.

For me, my favorite archtop acoustic strings are Elixir Phosphor Bronze. So that is my starting point and ideal goal for an archtop acoustic. The are a little darker and slightly more dead than new strings, which i like. They sound broken in and stay that way for months.

I ordered some Zebras and put them on my Hofner New President and they sound ok. I had D'Addario Chrome (flatwound) 13's on before and i don't notice a massive difference in tone. It is a little warmer but not worth trading for heavier flatwounds. Plus the Zebras are 12's so i think the lighter gauge doesn't help the sound. This is with a wood-clad tailpiece and wood bridge so that might negate some of the bronze tonality too.

The Zebras are nice, but to me, not worth trading for some flawound 13's since the tone is pretty close. Of course, YMMV. If you want to try them i got them from www.StringsAndBeyond.com (which shipped really fast!).

• 3 years later...
  • Members

i recently had a national slimline humbucker installed on my national tricone... i have a set of the white bronze 13-56s on there (not exactly electric i know)

bucker.jpg

i like them plugged in so far... to be honest i haven't played it much acoustically since i had the bucker installed... but my initial impression is they're not bad but you do lose a little bit compared to the acoustic strings i'm used to

i'm also keen to give the DR zebras a whirl

• Members

I used both the white bronze and the zebras on an archtop electric.
They both sounded fine plugged in but the promise of good acoustic tone is 50% empty. They sound better than an electric string but nowhere near as good as an acoustic string.
If you have to compromise, they're ok but I wouldn't use them again.

• 8 years later...
  • Members

I've been using the GHS White Bronze (.011) on both my Telecaster and Jazzmaster, going on for about 4 years. I like that the 3rd string is wound on the White Bronze and the.strings are durable. I've never broken a single string. And over time, I don't detect any loss in tone and the strings still look new. 

Archived