HOw to avoid G string to detune ????????????????

fortress55

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by fortress55 View Post
pencil ??? good trick i'll try that

i always hear a little "tic" sound when i'm trying to fine tune the Gstring.. Its like the string was stuck and suddenly, while turning the peg, the string unlock

(sorry for my englisH)
Yeah this is absolutely 100% the nut. In fact, if you have a Gibson with a tuning stability issue, 99% of the time it's the nut. You can lubricate it, but you should also widen the slot just a little tiny bit with some folded sandpaper or a finishing file. Or just have the nut replaced entirely, which is what I usually end up doing to my Gibsons. I like a graphtech nut, personally.

• Members
but why is it always the G string the problem?? on all my guitars, i have a problem with the G string,, Maybe the Nut is the problem but why its not problematic for the others strings?

On Gibsons the G string takes a sharper bend at the nut than the other strings, which is why it is the one that most often causes problems. Don't know why the D string doesn't cause the same problems.

• Members
pencil ??? good trick i'll try that

i always hear a little "tic" sound when i'm trying to fine tune the Gstring.. Its like the string was stuck and suddenly, while turning the peg, the string unlock

(sorry for my englisH)
Yeah, that sounds like it's catching something at the nut. Have a good look at it, see if it needs cleaning up or widening a little. It doesn't take much wrong with a nut to give horrible results, but it'll probably also be an easy fix. Even if the nut's cut perfectly, doesn't hurt to put some lubrication in there.

• Members

Good luck! G strings always go out of tune for me. I think you have to get string lubricant, that's for sure. I prefer the gel types to graphite. Just get some under the strings on the saddles and nut. You don't need much, just a little will do. You want it so that as you're bringing the string up to tune, there is no pinging at all. Now pull on the string and tune up to pitch every time until pulling on the string doesn't change the pitch at all. Then you should be stable.

• Members
but why is it always the G string the problem?? on all my guitars, i have a problem with the G string,, Maybe the Nut is the problem but why its not problematic for the others strings?
has been a problem for many a poor boy

Edit*
---------
I actually thought about this.

For 3x3 G is the highest up and it is bare wire (usually) causing stability issues. Also the nut it most likely filed to give the strings a straight shot over the nut.

The G-string is probably the most bent string while playing. I typically only bend the G, B, & E. G by far the most.

• Members

I was going to type something up, but this says it better....

Wound G String

As we all know, the third, or "G", string in most "normal" sets of strings for electric guitar is a "plain", or unwound string. This unwound third string normally performs quite badly

• Members

Nevermind nut lubricants, they are only helping with the problem.

The solution to the problem is filing the offeding nut slot. That's the only thing that will make your problem disappear.

Si, si, j'insiste. D

I agree. Take it to a competent tech and get it slotted properly.

• Members

Yeah the nut is the culprit...the old G string...a little nut sauce or graphite...i use Dr. Ducks Ax Wax...a little dab from a Q-tip in the slot when changing strings and no more binding...your using 10's so a a slot adjustment may not be necassary but that is always another option if lubing it up dosent remedy it.

Archived