Thinking of upgrading PU's in my CP Jazzmaster. Best bet for the buck?

Hand Amputation

• Members

I think the best way to make that guitar sound better is to get the white pickguard back in. :p Or at least creme covers and knobs.

But really, AVRI Jazzmaster pickups aren't that expensive on eBay, and neither are Duncan Antiquity pickups, so I'd get one of those. I don't really see a need to spend too much more if you want your guitar to sound more like a Jazzmaster. However, there's also the Duncan SJM series, which come in the Hot flavor as well as Quarter Pound and Vintage, and those would give you a slightly more modern tone than the Duncan Antiquity, and they're pretty inexpensive, too. The Hot flavor is pretty interesting. I think it would get some interesting sounds, definitely in the range of sounds you would want. Or maybe a Hot bridge and a Vintage neck.

But if you want an embarrassing range of options, try Curtis Novak:

http://www.curtisnovak.com/pickups/Offsets.shtml

He'll pretty much make any pickup for a Jazzmaster cover.

• Members

BECAUSE IT'S CLASSIC! Haha, no, it's entirely up to you, man. It's your guitar, not mine.

Also, is that Kelley Deal? Nice. Even if I prefer Tanya-era Breeders to Kelley-era Breeders, I still love Kelley. She and Kim are really cute. I saw a documentary, they still live together and Kelley knits and they play music and all that.

• Members

It is classic, and very beautiful. But neither of those terms apply to me, or my style of playing!

It's one of the Deal sisters. I am a Deal sisters fan. Was there a pre-Kelley Breeders? If so I was unaware of that!

I saw the doc you are talking about. They were so cute IMO, even if they are a little rough around the edges.

• Members

Yep, Pod by The Breeders is one of my top 5 albums ever, no doubt about it. Kurt Cobain also named it as the #1 album that changed his life. There is a kickin' cover of "Happiness Is a Warm Gun" that I controversially think is better than the original. I also think of that album as having THE greatest rock drum sound I've ever heard, and overall my favorite recording ever (as a pure feat of recording engineering). It's just so huge and in your face and slow and empty and dreary, too. And Kim's voice is suitably small and girly right in the center of the mix. It's just great.

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by honeyiscool View Post
BECAUSE IT'S CLASSIC! Haha, no, it's entirely up to you, man. It's your guitar, not mine.

Also, is that Kelley Deal? Nice. Even if I prefer Tanya-era Breeders to Kelley-era Breeders, I still love Kelley. She and Kim are really cute. I saw a documentary, they still live together and Kelley knits and they play music and all that.
I also have a CP and love the Antiquitys in it. Less hot than the stock pickups.

What Deal documetary are you guys talking about?

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by Hand Amputation View Post
Cool, I will look in to those.

I wanted to upgrade the pickups in my Strat, but I am thinking of flipping it. It just doesn't speak to me like the JM.
You probably should, then. Upgrading something you only mildly like is a good way to lose money on something that will eventually be sold some day. Believe me, I make this mistake all the time.

If you want something a little hotter than stock, I do suggest the Seymour Duncan SJM-2. Or maybe even a SJM-3 Quarter Pounder in bridge. Check out the tone clips here at the bottom:

http://www.seymourduncan.com/support...le_jaguar_and/

SJM-1 should be similar to stock. So that gives you an idea of what to compare it with.

Quote Originally Posted by Beyer160 View Post
Anyone have experience with the Rose Picassos? Can you split the coils?
They're single coils.

• Members

Thanks! The SJM-2 Hot sounds exactly like what I was hoping for.

I've never done a pickup swap in a Jazzmaster before.
Here goes nothin'! (once I buy em, that is)

It's especially nice to not have to take off the JM pickguard for that kind of job. I went the cheap route and put Fender AVRI pickups in my CP Jazz'r; it's now an unstoppable surf machine. :cool:

Archived