Wanna watch me build a mosrite?

Weiner_Bomb

• Members

I decided I wanted to build a lightweight 24 3/4" scale version of my dillion mosrite copy.

I traced out the body shape on a basswood plank, used a routing template to a gibson explorer to route the pickups. I did not take any progress pics during that time. What I have are all the rough routing's finished for now.

The neck is a mahogany 'les paul' style neck I bought from a ebay vendor. I have since reshaped part of the peghead. I just love the bound fingerboard with dot inlay look..

I'm going to finish the guitar in Krylon's 'shoreside green'. I ordered the nitro refinish kit from stewmac, along with some 3m goldsheet adhesive-backed sandpaper (makes life easier).

Here's some pics
81fb5923.jpg
a251d1c3.jpg

• Members

Did some more work on the project yesterday. I used some 80 grit/120 grit emory paper we have available at the shop to true everything up. I used some Devcon putty to fill in template holes and other imperfections. I should expect to pick up my finishing supplies somtime Saturday..
I reshaped the neck-heel to make it look more fitting for the guitar. Comfort being a factor as well..
4FA2DEDB-F81B-4D55-983B-25A4D502B858-274
0244FFFA-F4B6-45C7-A171-CFC26350BC41-289
97846385-BE97-4849-AA40-A10A6320F865-289

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

Got the sealer coats on yesterday evening. At some point tomorrow, i'll begin level sanding. The mahogany neck looks great for a two-piece. I'm kinda torn between finishing the pehead with the body color, or leaveing it mahogany... Mebbe we'll let the jury decide.
97B0812F-9219-4D33-95C2-030E7855F5FF-319
17C2B5EF-2165-4664-B901-D3B0535DD5D5-319
3616DC6B-4A07-45C4-B59F-4AE8B8A0CFFE-319

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by Weiner_Bomb

View Post

I doubt that. I have a pair of GFS pickups I plan on using. I plan on mounting them to the body with the screws mounted over the backside of the body (a danelectro plagiarism) .It's going to have a danelectro combo bridge as well..

Which pickups? That thang needa have some twang! Very cool so far, I like the green idea as well. Keep us posted!

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by richey888

View Post

Which pickups? That thang needa have some twang! Very cool so far, I like the green idea as well. Keep us posted!

I would like to try some mean 90's in it at some point. Right now I have a set of crunchy pat's that's been collecting dust.. They might sound okay in a basswood/mahogany guitar..

• Members

Sealed, leveled, primed, color shot.. I made a couple runs by mistake.. I missed a couple times when I was shooting inside the pickup route mad.gif

mosriteprojectbody.jpg

I decided against finishing the peghead the body color... a gloss mahogany neck's gonna look cool..

I hope to have all the nitro on and curing by the weekend.. There probably wouldn't be a further update for a while..

Archived