Rock's "Most Valuable Guitars" Hmmmm... what say you?

mmcquain

• Members

Most of them are based on what they sold for at auction.

With some small exceptions like Keefs LP (which has an estimated value in line with other bursts).

Page's and the Rev's would fall in that same window.

The ones that make me curious would be the unique ones..

Rick's Custom Hamers

FZ's SG

Stuff like that.

• Members

I would add Rory Gallagher's beat up Strat and Frampton's triple pickup Les Paul Custom, which he recently recovered after thought to have been lost in a plane crash (there is a NY Times article on that). Sorry, but Page's double-neck would have to be up there too. How about Bruce Springsteen's original Tele? Also, Prince's guitar from Purple Rain.

Any of Jimi's guitars. His black LPC and the Strat from Woodstock and a few more are at the Experience Music Project in Seattle. That place is definitely worth a visit. Much more than just Jimi stuff there too.

One more per Wikipedia, (wonderful source that it is) "Described as the first guitar Hendrix set fire to, another of his Stratocasters was sold at an auction for a record price in London two years later in 2008. Daniel Boucher, an American collector from Boston, paid 280,000 pounds sterling or $497,500 US Dollars for the guitar."

• Members

The values are crazy. Anyway, it's clearly not a list of iconic guitars, otherwise Ace Frehley's would be the triple pickup one, and I argue that Hendrix's burned-up Monterey Pop Strat should be on the list instead of the white one, but that one didn't sell for as much. As everyone knows, auction prices depend heavily on circumstance - two rich guys fighting to outbid each other will of course overpay for one of those things, but they'd certainly sell for less if there wasn't the opportunity for a bidding war that large. A million+ for some of those? Good luck finding another buyer willing to pay that much, I'd say.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by mmcquain

View Post

Interesting list (maybe most interesting for what's NOT on the list... no Page #1 or 2, no Pearly Gates, no Green/Moore LP, etc.)

http://www.cnbc.com/id/47723379

Yeah, there's some interesting stuff there, but I agree. I think the Peter Green/Gary Moore LP should top the list. Not only was it owned and played by 2 of the most famous rock guitarists, but they actually both kept and played the guitar for long periods. Plus, where the hell is SRV's No. 1 ?

• Members

EVH's Frankenstrat is probably the most extreme example of a guitar's value that's based almost entirely on provenance.

The more I learn about that guitar, the more I learn what a piece of {censored} it really is. God, what a hack Ed was on the workbench. But he played the everlovin' crap out of it, and there's a ton of history made on it.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by GAS Man

View Post

Yeah, there's some interesting stuff there, but I agree. I think the Peter Green/Gary Moore LP should top the list. Not only was it owned and played by 2 of the most famous rock guitarists, but they actually both kept and played the guitar for long periods. Plus, where the hell is SRV's No. 1 ?

I believe it is in the possession of Jimmie Vaughan. It's never been sold at auction.

• Members

View Post

Not to mention its case originally housed claptons "beano" burst.

• Members

Although the list leans heavily toward guitars previously sold at auction, there is still lots of speculation on potential current value, so it's surprising to see so many guitars not mentioned, like Gilmour's alleged #0001 Strat, Beck's Esquire, Clapton's Fool SG, Buddy Holly's 1958 Strat, etc.

• Members

Pretty mind blowing what people will pay for inanimate objects. One million plus for a guitar is ludicrous IMO but I guess anything is worth what someone will pay.

Reminds me of the sucker who paid 160 million for the Pollock painting.

No._5%2C_1948.jpg

Its a rich mans pissing contest.

• Members

Interesting. If I had to pick my personal top ten, I'm not sure that any of these would be on it.... I'm simply a fan of different people. Well.... Jimi's guitar would be - I'm a fan, but also I'm a lefty, so of all my guitar heroes, his instruments are among the very few I could actually play. Back before the London HRC changed hands and got a lot more "look, don't touch" about their exhibits, I twice got the chance to have my hands on Jimi's custom black Flying V. The V was never a model after which I lusted, but getting the chance to actually play that one (albeit not plugged in), my take on Purple Haze (playing the same notes in the same order as he did - not as well, mind, but still..... felt like that song 'belonged' in the guitar somehow. the hair on he bakc of my neck stood up. Probably would have done all over my head if I hadn't shaved it). My favourite of Jimi's guitars is the black 68 Strat, the sister guitar to the Woodstock Strat. Reputedly his favourite, it was the guitar he played just a few hours before he died (the black V was the last one he played in public). Monica Daneman had it after he died - she kept it in a bank vault, and she was literally the only person to touch it between his death and hers - still had his strings on it, and his fingermarks!! The guitar was destined for a mueum, but I'm not sure what happened after she killed herself. I don't think it was sold.

Jimi's Monterey (it was Monterey, wasn't it? He also burned and smashed one in Miami) Strat sort of still exists. At least, the body does - Zappa built a new Strat around it. Dweezil tried to sell it a few years ago but it didn't meet the reserve - either he had an inflated idea of its worth, or set a reserve crazy high to get an idea of market value without having to actually part with it. Part of me thinks it would somehow have been worth more as an unadulterated Hendrix piece - which is no intended slight on either musician.

Quote Originally Posted by fortress55

View Post

how about the Polka dot Randy rhoads??

Some guitars - like that one - might have a more limited appeal - I mean, isn't he primarily remembered by guitar players rather than non-playing music fans? Might limit the market - but then again, all you need are a couple of super-rich uber-fans....

View Post

Re the LP, depends what it sold for.... Moore sold it privately not all that long before he died. Surprised me that anyone would part with something as iconic and integral to their career as that, but maybe he had money issues about which we did not know, or maybe he knew he was ill? (Cancer, wasn't it?). As to SRV's guitar, that was never sold, so there's no auction-type guide for value (as this list seems to be mostly based on).

Other iconic guitars the value of which if sold I'd love to know:

Jack White's red Airplane guitar

Johnny Ramone's white Mosrite - a customised Ventures II model. Johny gave it to Daniel Ray when the Ramones retired (Johnny famously only played guitar with the band, on stage or in the studio, and didn't even keep one in the house).

Elvis' Martin acoustic (the one from the front cover of the first album). The Gibson he played at the 68 Special was sold - the HRC own it. Don't know what they paid. The Hagstrom he also played for those shows was borrowed from someone involved in the production - no idea if ever it was sold.

Steve Jones' Never Mind the Bollocks LP Custom - a maple-necked 73 (iirc) model, pilfered either from Denmark Street by Jones himself, or by Malcom Maclaren, from the NY Dolls. I've read both. Jonesy has sold that guitar to plenty of people over the years.... At least, he's sold plenty of lookey-likey white LP Customs, though he has also claimed he's conned every one of them, and he still has the real thing.....

Joe Strummer's 66(?) Tele - and his stage back-up, the white Esquier. I don't believe either have ever been sold.

Dylan's Tele that he was playing during the infamous "JUDAS!" incident.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by Edward

View Post

Interesting. If I had to pick my personal top ten, I'm not sure that any of these would be on it.... I'm simply a fan of different people. Well.... Jimi's guitar would be - I'm a fan, but also I'm a lefty, so of all my guitar heroes, his instruments are among the very few I could actually play. Back before the London HRC changed hands and got a lot more "look, don't touch" about their exhibits, I twice got the chance to have my hands on Jimi's custom black Flying V. The V was never a model after which I lusted, but getting the chance to actually play that one (albeit not plugged in), my take on Purple Haze (playing the same notes in the same order as he did - not as well, mind, but still..... felt like that song 'belonged' in the guitar somehow. the hair on he bakc of my neck stood up. Probably would have done all over my head if I hadn't shaved it). My favourite of Jimi's guitars is the black 68 Strat, the sister guitar to the Woodstock Strat. Reputedly his favourite, it was the guitar he played just a few hours before he died (the black V was the last one he played in public). Monica Daneman had it after he died - she kept it in a bank vault, and she was literally the only person to touch it between his death and hers - still had his strings on it, and his fingermarks!! The guitar was destined for a mueum, but I'm not sure what happened after she killed herself. I don't think it was sold.

Jimi's Monterey (it was Monterey, wasn't it? He also burned and smashed one in Miami) Strat sort of still exists. At least, the body does - Zappa built a new Strat around it. Dweezil tried to sell it a few years ago but it didn't meet the reserve - either he had an inflated idea of its worth, or set a reserve crazy high to get an idea of market value without having to actually part with it. Part of me thinks it would somehow have been worth more as an unadulterated Hendrix piece - which is no intended slight on either musician.

My favorite Hendrix guitar is the sunburst Strat which I think was his main guitar in early 1967. I suspect he wrote a bunch of great songs on it. He most likely destroyed it, so I think it's lost to the ages.

Archived