String Stretching New Strings

F-bomb

• Members

Do you Stretch new strings when you install them, or do you let them slowly work themselves out over time? If you do stretch them, what method do you find works the best?

I like to install my strings, tune to pitch, then work them in starting with small bends slowly working up to massive bends. I stop when I can comfortably do bends 1 1/2 steps and the string stays in tune.

What do you do?

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by Canadian Jeff

View Post

Do I stretch new strings? Yeah, everybody should.

How do I do it? Tune to pitch; pull the string away from the fretboard as far as I can; tune again; repeat. There's no good reason to be delicate about it. Just give them hell until they don't go out of tune anymore.

I

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by Bumhucker

View Post

Exactly.... all you are doing is taking any slack out of the windings at the tuner post.

Then why do my Floyd guitars go out of tune if I don't pre-stretch the strings? It's locked at the nut and the bridge so it can't be the strings tightening around the tuning posts.

• Members

View Post

Do I stretch new strings? Yeah, everybody should.

How do I do it? Tune to pitch; pull the string away from the fretboard as far as I can; tune again; repeat. There's no good reason to be delicate about it. Just give them hell until they don't go out of tune anymore.

This is what I do as well.

• Members

View Post

Then why do my Floyd guitars go out of tune if I don't pre-stretch the strings? It's locked at the nut and the bridge so it can't be the strings tightening around the tuning posts.

Some strings are more likely to stretch than others, I think. I've noticed D'Addarios definitely need a healthy amount. GHS strings, meanwhile, I think they're pre-stretched at the factory or something.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by billythegoat

View Post

I like to tune it up then on each string start at the bridge and pull up a bit and slide it as far up the neck as you can keeping a steady pull on it.

This is the same method I use. I don't like the tune up high and let the guitar sit overnight method. Strings put a lot of tension on the neck and this could cause warpage, weaken the glue joints on set neck guitars, or pull the bridge away from the body on accoustics. The best method is the one described by billythegoat.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by honeyiscool

View Post

Some strings are more likely to stretch than others, I think. I've noticed D'Addarios definitely need a healthy amount. GHS strings, meanwhile, I think they're pre-stretched at the factory or something.

Fair enough. I haven't used anything other than Elixirs in the past 3 years and they require a good amount of stretching. Well, they might not require as much as I give them, but I hate having to unlock the nut, reset the fine tuners, bla bla bla. It's just easier to give them hell for a few extra minutes and not have to worry about it.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by PeaveyPlayer

View Post

This is the same method I use. I don't like the tune up high and let the guitar sit overnight method. Strings put a lot of tension on the neck and this could cause warpage, weaken the glue joints on set neck guitars, or pull the bridge away from the body on accoustics. The best method is the one described by billythegoat.

If that were the case, then using a heavier gauge (than what?) of strings would also kill your guitar. Clearly it doesn't.

• Members

I really try not to pull on the strings to stretch them. If I have to play soon after the restring I'll stretch them, otherwise I just play them in and retune as needed. It only takes about 20 minutes.

I don't know if there's a difference, but it kind of makes sense to me to never stretch them past normal bending tension.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by koiwoi

View Post

I really try not to pull on the strings to stretch them. If I have to play soon after the restring I'll stretch them, otherwise I just play them in and retune as needed. It only takes about 20 minutes.

I don't know if there's a difference, but it kind of makes sense to me to never stretch them past normal bending tension.

I stretch like a mofo and have only broken 2 strings in the past 5 years :p

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by Reality Check

View Post

I believe some of the more exorbitant cases of needing to stretch strings arises from the excess amount of string unnecessarily wrapped around tuning pegs.

I'm a 1 wrap wound 1 1/2-2 wraps unwound kinda guy and it still takes a good ten minutes to get all the strings stretched out.

Quote Originally Posted by koiwoi

View Post

Well, if you hadn't stretched those two... wink.gif

I have to admit it's not something I worry about. My average is about the same as yours if we don't count the D string on my classical.

I'm pretty sure that the first one was with an ancient set of strings. Long before I grew to hate the feeling of 'worn' strings and switched to Elixirs.

• Members

Gotta strech them badboys...or else youll be tuning them constantly untill its time for a new set lol...like Jeff said...give a good couple of tugs from the fretboard up and down the neck...retune, repeat...i do a lil side to side streching too...you are removing slack AND stretching the string...

• Members

View Post

Well, they might not require as much as I give them, but I hate having to unlock the nut, reset the fine tuners, bla bla bla. It's just easier to give them hell for a few extra minutes and not have to worry about it.

This is the constant battle I have with full floating trem's. I hate restringing/retuning them. It is such a chore. However when they are working properly, they're great.

• Members

I give them a bit of a pull up with my finger just above the p'ups and retune. It still needs some retuning after that, but I don't mind.

Now if I was going on stage right after a string change, I'd be more aggressive with the stretching.

Funny, I've seen this little gizmo for sale in the guitar mags for string stretching. As much as I like "guitar gadgets", I think my finger tips make for a better "tool" wink.gif

stringstretcha.gif

OTOH, I guess if you want to do that "stretch up and down the length of the string" routine as mentioned above, that little tool would be a better sacrifice than your finger tip. That's obviously the intent with this gizmo. http://www.barryrudolph.com/newtoys/...gstretcha.html

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by Reality Check

View Post

I believe some of the more exorbitant cases of needing to stretch strings arises from the excess amount of string unnecessarily wrapped around tuning pegs.

View Post

I'm a 1 wrap wound 1 1/2-2 wraps unwound kinda guy and it still takes a good ten minutes to get all the strings stretched out.

I'm pretty sure that the first one was with an ancient set of strings. Long before I grew to hate the feeling of 'worn' strings and switched to Elixirs.

I have seen pictures of Buddy Guys' guitar and he wraps the entire sting onto his tuning peg. I will try to find it and post it.

Archived