OT: Fill me in with selling on ebay and using paypal.....haven't done it for ages.

67mike

• Members

Looks like I may have to throw my Jackson on evilbay.......to fund my SG.

I haven't used ebay in years to sell stuff.........

What are they raping you for selling, also what about Paypal and it's fees?

PS: I hear they changed some rules so that selling stuff like a guitar is way more risky now.....any truth to that?

Thanks

• Members

Risky how? The only real changes are in the fees and feedback process. You can't leave bad feedback for a buyer now, but the buyer can sure leave bad feedback for you in a heartbeat. It's really cheap to list stuff now, but they get you in the end on the final value fee.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by Lonnie99

View Post

Risky how? The only real changes are in the fees and feedback process. You can't leave bad feedback for a buyer now, but the buyer can sure leave bad feedback for you in a heartbeat. It's really cheap to list stuff now, but they get you in the end on the final value fee.

I have heard something about Paypal and how buyers can essentially screw sellers. I am honest and have a great ebay record.....but I would rather not ship a guitar half way across the country only to have someone screw me around. Like I say, I haven't sold on the bay for a few years now.....used to be pretty decent in terms of saftey.

• Members

I stopped using eBay for a while because I had good luck with Craigslist, but I can say you're not wrong. I usually now only sell higher ticket items on eBay and I've had 2-3 buyers complain that "the item wasn't as described" which is total BS. Sellers have no power anymore. I ended up giving partial refunds but I seriously felt I was being robbed.

• Members

I sold a bunch of stuff at in August and September.

eBay fees are ~9% now. And they also take ~9% for your shipping costs. So, if you estimate it'll cost you $60 to ship something, charge $65 in shipping because eBay is going to take some of that money...even though they don't actually handle anything on the shipping end. But this was eBay's way of combating seller's who lower they item price and make it up with higher shipping prices. Paypal fees are still 2.9%. So, all total, expect to lose ~12% of whatever you are paid to the eBay/Paypal corporation and price accordingly.

Paypal's Buyer Protection is definitely skewed in favor of the buyer. Even though you can say "no returns" and even officially select it in your listing, most complaints get settled in favor of the buyer...so all they have to say is you didn't adequately list the item and chances are you are taking the item back and maybe out some shipping costs. And all shipping damages are on the seller, so pack well and insure well...these days I only let UPS or FedEx offices do the packing, it costs a lot more but you get a better guarantee on an insurance payout. BUT,...if dealing with an unscrupulous buyer, one who damages the item themselves and blames shipping or even swaps in their damaged item for your undamaged one...then you might be left holding the bag (I think this is a worst case scenario, but it seems a possibility), so document you item well...especially serial numbers and distinguishing marks/dents.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by Lonnie99

View Post

I stopped using eBay for a while because I had good luck with Craigslist, but I can say you're not wrong. I usually now only sell higher ticket items on eBay and I've had 2-3 buyers complain that "the item wasn't as described" which is total BS. Sellers have no power anymore. I ended up giving partial refunds but I seriously felt I was being robbed.

THIS IS MY FEAR EXACTLY. Guess I will stick to local sales.....wait it out.

Archived