A simple and easy way to determine neck girth. I prefer it.

billybilly

• Members

I know that the standard way to measure neck girth is to get out the calipers and measure at the 1st and 12th fret. However, this really does not take into consideration the shape of the neck, which can greatly contribute to girth. So, in considering how the neck actually fills my hand and shaping my own recently, I simply took a flexible tape measure and started at the edge of the fretboard, wrapping it around the neck to the other fretboard edge. While I am sure I'm not the first to have done this, it makes more sense to me. For what it is worth, I like 7.4cm on the 1st fret and 8cm on the 12th.

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by Canadian Jeff View Post
You're still never going to know until you pick it up and try it out. Not trying to be a negative Nelly or anything though.
Yes, it is not perfect and I never said it was, however, it does determine volume as previously said. It is a better measurement than calipers for internet buyers. Yes, it would be good to be able to hold every neck but that is not possible. I believe it would be useful if companies could give internet buyers a heads up with such information.

I'm sure you are trying to be negative but it certainly is a habit of yours.

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by billybilly View Post
Yes, it is not perfect and I never said it was, however, it does determine volume as previously said. It is a better measurement than calipers for internet buyers. Yes, it would be good to be able to hold every neck but that is not possible. I believe it would be useful if companies could give internet buyers a heads up with such information.

I'm sure you are trying to be negative but it certainly is a habit of yours.
Ok, so I'm supposed to take your partial circumference, plus the thickness of the neck (remember your measurement tells me nothing about thickness, so I need to factor it in when trying to visualize a neck profile), plus the neck's width. With those three measurements I'm supposed to build up an idea of what the neck will feel like? Seriously, I'm not trying to hate, but if you didn't want people to comment on your idea you shouldn't have posted.

What was wrong with hitting Google and searching "wangcaster neck profile"? Then you find a bunch of peeps saying it has a neck like a MIM Strat and bam, you know whether it's gonna be in the ballpark or not.

Maybe you're just a lot better at math than the rest of us?

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by xrleroyx View Post
I really can't take all of you saying how much you love girth.
lol'd irl.

Quote Originally Posted by Angry Tele View Post
wrap a length of solder around it and trace the shape out on paper-this will give you the actual shape. My 52RI is in between a U and a C, not U like Fender calls it.
Solder!

Quote Originally Posted by xrleroyx View Post
I really can't take all of you saying how much you love girth.
lol'd irl x2.

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by Canadian Jeff View Post
Ok, so I'm supposed to take your partial circumference, plus the thickness of the neck (remember your measurement tells me nothing about thickness, so I need to factor it in when trying to visualize a neck profile), plus the neck's width. With those three measurements I'm supposed to build up an idea of what the neck will feel like? Seriously, I'm not trying to hate, but if you didn't want people to comment on your idea you shouldn't have posted.

What was wrong with hitting Google and searching "wangcaster neck profile"? Then you find a bunch of peeps saying it has a neck like a MIM Strat and bam, you know whether it's gonna be in the ballpark or not.

Maybe you're just a lot better at math than the rest of us?
Oh Jeff, its a tool for volume. I like criticism and use it as a tool to learn from so nice try. It's just that it comes from you in almost every post.

Archived