Who here use REAPER as their recording software?

Jkater

• Members

I know Axeslinger and Wagdog do.

I got it last month and can't believe I didn't buy it before. I love that software and it's making me record for no reason... smile.gif

the Reaper forum is wonderful (and civile...). Lots of helpful and knowledgeable folks there.

• Members

I use logic because I'm familiar with it... I'd used it a long time ago and needed a DAW for my job that I didn't have to re-learn

While I like logic, if I ever switch from Mac to pc, I'll use reaper. I've been thinking about putting it on our home pc and seeing how long it would take me to get my head around it (properly)

The trouble is I know my way around logic so well now, the thought of using anything else does my head in a bit

I do know a lot of people have switched to reaper from pro tools/logic/cubase etc and been very happy

• Members

I use Cubase, but I've been using Reaper a little at a friend's house, helping him record his band. It seems to be a pretty good, I recall spotting a few features in there just browsing through the menus and whatnot that I was surprised to see.

A few things that as a Cubase user I find a bit weird, but I've hardly had any time with Reaper yet. The main one that kept bugging me coz I just wouldn't remember, was double clicking on a track expecting it to open up in the wav editor. mad.gif

The main reason I've not really tried using Reaper for myself is that I do a lot of drum programming, and I keep hearing Reaper's just not as good on the MIDI sequencing side of things.

• Members

Does Reaper have a Demo/Trial? I've got PT8 and it's fine for what I do but probably is overkill. However I go it because I needed a way to get signal into my computer and rather than buy a preamp or sound card with a pre I got a deal on an Mbox2 mini with PT 8 LE. I wouldn't mind trying Reaper but if I lost all of the goodies that I get with PT (all the plugin that came with it) it probably wouldn't be worth it. And if I would need to get another pre in order to use it again it probably wouldn't be worth doing the "downgrade"..at least not right now

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by nuke_diver

View Post

Does Reaper have a Demo/Trial? I've got PT8 and it's fine for what I do but probably is overkill. However I go it because I needed a way to get signal into my computer and rather than buy a preamp or sound card with a pre I got a deal on an Mbox2 mini with PT 8 LE. I wouldn't mind trying Reaper but if I lost all of the goodies that I get with PT (all the plugin that came with it) it probably wouldn't be worth it. And if I would need to get another pre in order to use it again it probably wouldn't be worth doing the "downgrade"..at least not right now

With the latest update, it looks like they are limiting their full version to a 60 day trial. Before the update, you could download the fully-functional version for free indefinitely until you decided to pay for the license. I guess the honor system isn't working out so well for Cockos anymore frown.gif

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by backtoblue

View Post

With the latest update, it looks like they are limiting their full version to a 60 day trial. Before the update, you could download the fully-functional version for free indefinitely until you decided to pay for the license. I guess the honor system isn't working out so well for Cockos anymore frown.gif

I'm kind of glad they are going this route. Fantastic product, and $60 is CHEAP.

• Members

I purchased a license for Reaper and use it as my recording software. It enables a direct in kind of thing from my Line 6 Guitar Port and Fender Mustang amp. I used to use Cakewalk Guitar Tracks a while ago, and found the unlimited tracks in Reaper to be a nice touch.

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by backtoblue View Post
Does the trial end after 60 days? I didn't get that impression.

The old trial was 30 days, I believe, but never ran out. I assume the new one is the same thing. Because in actuality, the honor system has done very well for Reaper thus far.

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by Arr0wHead View Post
Does the trial end after 60 days? I didn't get that impression.

The old trial was 30 days, I believe, but never ran out. I assume the new one is the same thing. Because in actuality, the honor system has done very well for Reaper thus far.
To be honest, I didn't read the fine print. I just noticed some verbiage about a 60 day trial period when I did an update last night. Seems kind of a silly change to go from a 30 to 60 day trial - when either way - you're getting the full version for free. Regardless, they made a paying customer out of me, so whatever they're doing is working!

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by backtoblue

View Post

60 days for a full version trial. That's more than fair. Beyond that and one becomes a user and yes, you're supposed to pay for the product. At $60, doing what it does, it's a great deal.

• Members

Absolutely! There is only one thing I miss from Sonar that I'd like to have and that's the Sonifex effects package.. I DL'ed the Kjaerhus Audio bundle of free effects modules and between them an adding iZotope Ozone5 I feel I'm way better off..

I bought Cubase 6 Studio prior to trying Reaper and that was a total waste of $249facepalm.gif I soooo wish I'd tried Reaper first..frown.gif

• Members

I've used it for years.. it's a great product. I also own Ableton Live, Sonar x1 & x2, and studio one v1 and v2. I demo'd cubase at one point and hated it.

I always keep going back to Reaper tho. I still use Live (for experimenting and scratching out ideas) and S1v2 for the mastering tools.

Archived