G.A.S for a Charvel So-Cal...

Larry the Dog

• Members

Pretty straight forward guitars, I didn't get along with the necks (too chunky), really did not like the pickups, and missed the tone knob. I could have lived with the neck but considering I needed to mod out the whole pickguard assembly to include pickups, it wasn't a very good value for me. Sold.

socalcopy.jpg

• Members

I had GAS for a newer Charvel SoCal or San Dimas...then I bought this from a good friend who happens to be a forumite. It's a 1982 (roughly) that's undergone some changes but this is it's current incarnation.

480723_3514897711940_991513226_n.jpg

I am absolutely in love with it. If you can get a San Dimas or So Cal of any kind, run, do not walk to get one. The necks are to die for. And it sounds phenomenal. Screamin Demon in the neck gets almost single coil-ish tone and that Custom Custom is a monstrous pickup.

Btw I'm not trying to derail your thread. I just wanted to share in the Charvel love.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by RaVenCAD

View Post

I wish they'd do a MIA line with a real Floyd. I was stoked when the Charvel name came back from the dead, but the specs were a let down.

Don't know what specs are such a let down? That it's MIJ? Dimarzio's? They sound great,the Floyd says Floyd and seems to be just as good as the OFR in my old Model 4? Other than that the specs are the same I think?

• Members

I'd definitely pay $5-600 for one still. It's not like it really matters too much on a So-Cal or a San Dimas since the bridges are body mounted anyway. So long as the springs are tight enough to slam that bridge back down every time you use it there's no reason for it to not return to tune.

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by RaVenCAD View Post
I wish they'd do a MIA line with a real Floyd. I was stoked when the Charvel name came back from the dead, but the specs were a let down.
Yeah man, mine get gigged/practiced with a lot, not issues to speak of. Trems are rock solid, and they feel great.

No spec issues. Trust me.

• Members

The spec problem starts and ends with the bridge. I feel it was deceptive of Charvel/Fender to call it a Floyd Rose, knowing full well everyone would assume it was an OFR. Once it came out and people were bitching about, they started being honest. I don't like companies that do stuff like that. Is that bridge a major issue? No, it isn't, but I would pull it in favor of an OFR if I bought one.

• Members

I had the same experience with my Schecter.

Checked the website. Website said OFR. I thought 'sweet' and ordered. Guitar gets here with a FR1000 and I'm like 0.O

Edit: Though, frankly, it's just a good excuse to install a (superior in every way) Gotoh bridge instead.

• Members

I too have had on-again/off-again GAS for a So-Cal.

Me too. Never being able to make up my mind between the So-Cal and the San Dimas held off my GAS. Plus I already had 2 MIJ Jacksons that were/are being neglected so I figured I should hold off on one more Superstrat. But this Charvel line has seemed like a very good value for a MIA SuperStrat

This was a GAS provoking AND definitive vid for me.

[video=youtube;FGIF8DCbMmg]

• 3 months later...

Archived