Paul Gilbert uses 0.60mm picks?

honeyiscool

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members
Quote Originally Posted by Canadian Jeff View Post
I wouldn't model my pick-selection after Paul Gilbert. He can play, but his pick attack sounds terrible. It's like a cellist but really grating. Happily those nuances don't show up in his music so much, just in his YouTube lessons and whatnot.
I'm impressed that you have trumped Paul Gilbert on his pick attack. That is an incredible accomplishment. Kudos to you!

I wish that I had enough focus to achieve 1/10 of Paul's abilities of either his picking or his fretting hand.

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by honeyiscool View Post
I think it's his sound, though. He alternate picks a lot and it's one of those things that really lets you know you're listening to Paul Gilbert. It's fine to not like it, but I think it adds character. Many shredders sound bad solo anyway. smile.gif
Well, I think it's more his choice in picks. My very first guitar lesson was like "here's the major scale, and here's alternate picking. Do both and come back next week." so I'm not exactly ignorant of his technique. If I switch to a .6mm pick I get the same flit flit flit attack that he does.

Oh, plus, there's a video on YouTube of him explaining, in great detail, his picking technique. He likes the celloish sound, that's cool. My ears go "nooooo, get a thicker pick! Even a .73 would be an improvement!"

Quote Originally Posted by Spudro View Post
I'm impressed that you have trumped Paul Gilbert on his pick attack. That is an incredible accomplishment. Kudos to you!

I wish that I had enough focus to achieve 1/10 of Paul's abilities of either his picking or his fretting hand.
Weird. I don't recall saying I played better than him. Hell, you don't even need to know how to hold a guitar to listen to someone play one. What exactly are you trying to infer?

• Members
I wouldn't model my pick-selection after Paul Gilbert. He can play, but his pick attack sounds terrible. It's like a cellist but really grating. Happily those nuances don't show up in his music so much, just in his YouTube lessons and whatnot.
ummm....wtf.

i'm no fanboi by a long shot, but gilbert has one of the best picking techniques in the business. i would love to see a video of you playing anything by him with whatever size pick you choose. please.

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by wrongnote85 View Post
ummm....wtf.

i'm no fanboi by a long shot, but gilbert has one of the best picking techniques in the business. i would love to see a video of you playing anything by him with whatever size pick you choose. please.
I don't like the sound his pick makes, so what? Like I said anyway, it's really only in his instructional stuff where he uses that kinda dirty clean tone - his music (solo & Mr. Big) sounds fine.

Also, some of you guys need to wipe the rage outta your eyes and re-read my posts. I said I don't like the sound his pick makes - not that I don't like his picking. The dude is the closest living example of someone with 'perfect' technique there is.

• Members
I don't like the sound his pick makes, so what? Like I said anyway, it's really only in his instructional stuff where he uses that kinda dirty clean tone - his music (solo & Mr. Big) sounds fine.

Also, some of you guys need to wipe the rage outta your eyes and re-read my posts. I said I don't like the sound his pick makes - not that I don't like his picking. The dude is the closest living example of someone with 'perfect' technique there is.
you're the one that said it.

his pick sound has balls and chunk, which is awesome. idk why anyone playing this type of music would want to leave out the balls and chunk, but if that's your thing....

• Members
you're the one that said it.

his pick sound has balls and chunk, which is awesome. idk why anyone playing this type of music would want to leave out the balls and chunk, but if that's your thing....

• Members

EVH uses 0.60mm picks, too

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/acces...n?src=3WWRWXGP

DV016_Jpg_Large_500407_R.jpg

Durability and grip make these EVH picks great for any player.
These EVH Premium Signature Guitar Picks feature a molded nylon-speckled raised surface for ultimate grip. The custom molded material is tough and stands up well to playing day after day. Each customized collector's tin comes with 12 .60mm medium gauge custom molded EVH nylon picks.
Features
Molded nylon raised surface
Custom-molded for strength
Each tin contains 12 .60mm medium gauge picks

• Members
your ellipses proves, nor states, nothing.

it may well boil down to a difference in opinion, but the angled pick attack has been proven by rhythm players time and time again to have the sound necessary for this type of playing. gilbert is simply applying it to his lead playing, and to me at least, it works.

• Members
your ellipses proves, nor states, nothing.

it may well boil down to a difference in opinion, but the angled pick attack has been proven by rhythm players time and time again to have the sound necessary for this type of playing. gilbert is simply applying it to his lead playing, and to me at least, it works.
I seriously feel like I'm taking crazy pills trying to get my point across to you.

I pick using the method outlined in the video, have since day one - it's how my first guitar teacher taught me to pick (he's a Vai/Gilbert/Satch/etc fan). I'm not trying to say I play as well as Gilbert, but angling your pick as it moves over the string isn't rocket science. What I dislike is the way Gilbert makes it sound in his instructional vids. Between the light pick with the rounded tip and the angle of his attack I think it sounds too odd. However, he never sounds that way on records so who cares? Enough gain covers everything. My point was simply academic. Don't blow a gasket.

How about we talk about Uli Roth for a bit. He demonstrates yet another shortcoming of the thin pick (which he also prefers). Durability. They wear out a little too quickly sometimes. Not that picks are expensive or that grabbing a fresh one is too hard or anything, just an observation.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by Canadian Jeff

View Post

Oh Jeff, glass half-empty again?

• Members
I seriously feel like I'm taking crazy pills trying to get my point across to you.

I pick using the method outlined in the video, have since day one - it's how my first guitar teacher taught me to pick (he's a Vai/Gilbert/Satch/etc fan). I'm not trying to say I play as well as Gilbert, but angling your pick as it moves over the string isn't rocket science. What I dislike is the way Gilbert makes it sound in his instructional vids. Between the light pick with the rounded tip and the angle of his attack I think it sounds too odd. However, he never sounds that way on records so who cares? Enough gain covers everything. My point was simply academic. Don't blow a gasket.

How about we talk about Uli Roth for a bit. He demonstrates yet another shortcoming of the thin pick (which he also prefers). Durability. They wear out a little too quickly sometimes. Not that picks are expensive or that grabbing a fresh one is too hard or anything, just an observation.
Explain this part.

and believe me, i am blowing no gasket.

• Members

Explain this part.

and believe me, i am blowing no gasket.

Well, he usually uses a healthy amount of distortion, but when demoing his fast playing in instructional videos, he uses only light overdrive that shows the click clicky sound that the pick makes on the string. He rarely uses that sound when he's actually playing a song, though, and I've seen him play acoustic guitar and he doesn't really do that, either. But Mr. Gilbert is nice enough to actually let us hear what his shred stuff sounds like with the gain down.

• Members

A thought just popped into my head. If his guitars are setup with mega low action then he might use the flimsy pick so that he can play a little more aggressively without incurring the buzz he would if he was hitting hard with a solid pick.

His strings lay on the frets. Mega ultra low action. I wish I had a tech that could set up my guitars with that kind of action. The guy is a monster though.

Archived