Good guitars with horrible resale value

Lonnie99

• Members

I've been offers a Schecter C1 Classic for my Ibanez SZ520QM. The Schecter has the vine of life inlays and actual SD pickups. Very nice guitar that was Schecters first to retail over $1000. A fast eBay check shows that most are selling for less than $300, many with a hard case. WTF? Do people hate the vine thing that much? It doesn't help that almost NONE of the sellers gave even the slightest info on the guitars, let alone tout the SD pickups. I like gaudy guitars and SD pickups so I may do the trade anyway, just found that utterly ridiculous.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Sorry, far from the first Schecter to retail for > &1k. Their import line wasn't even introduced until the late 1990s. Before this, all of their guitars were domestically made and retailed for > $1k.

Regardless, the C1 is a nice guitar. They play and sound great, they just look like crap. But, you said you have a thing for gaudy guitars, so that takes care of that aspect. I think the Schecter imports just have a stigma of being cheap guitars, and resale isn't spectacular as there are so many on the market.

• Members

High end yamaha are underpriced when new to start with (you get a LOT of guitar for the asking price). Then amazingly, they sell for ridiculous price when used. Arguably, used higher end Yammies are some the best deals to be had. Poor resale value is due to the public's perception of Yamahas as beginner's guitars and that is due to the fact that high end Yamahas were either rare and hard to get or downright unavailable in the US.

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by Lonnie99 View Post
I don't understand why people would perceive Schecters to be cheap either, even their bolt on stuff is pretty good.

The crowd that perceives guitars mainly by their looks, instead of the attributes that count (playability, tone, functionality, and good construction), have sometimes disparaged Schecter because of their borderline-gaudy styling.

I know that I've fallen onto this category a few times because of the unappealing demonic styling themes frequently used by Schecter on otherwise excellent guitars.

• Members

G&L and Hamer come to mind, although I don't think G&L is actually as bad as people think. My guess would be I could pull over $700 for a Legacy I bought for $1100, which isn't horrible. I've seen some nice used USA Hamers hanging around for around $1000, which is criminal.

• Members

Definitely Hamer USA. Worked for me, as I buy used mostly anyway. Even new, though you could find good deals on NOS stuff. Since they stopped production and people have caught on to the good deals, prices have gone up considerably. I think gone are the days of the $500 USA Hamer (of which I've owned a few).

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by Lonnie99

View Post

I've owned a couple of C1s and really enjoyed them.

I agree. I have a C1FR I bought like 4 years ago. It collected dust for about the last 2 years until I broke it out last week. I sanded, polished, and oiled up the trem studs and now the floyd works like a champ. Now if I just replace the crappy Duncan Designed p'ups it won't be half bad.

• Members

I have to +1 those who called out Carvin and Hamer for having lousy resale value. I snagged my Hamer Cruise bass for $400 out the door; it had been sitting in the shop since it had opened 6 years ago and originally had a $1,200 price tag. Its only crime was it looked like it should be onstage with Def Leppard. I've seen others that only sold for $500 on Ebay. But the word appears to have gotten out about their double cutaway faux-LP's; I've seen them going for approximately $1,200.

I snagged my Carvin H2 for $500 and I suspect I will take a bath if I should ever decide to sell it; the neck's a real baseball bat.

• Members

As someone has already mentioned: it's great to be on the other side of these deals. I got my like-new Schecter TS-H1 for $350. It's better than most of the $900 semi-hollows I played prior to purchasing it. I don't like the look of the Hamer headstock, but if I found one of their double-cutaway flametop models I'd probably buy it if I could get a deal on it ...

Archived