what was the nicest playing guitar you ever played? do you own it? if not, why?

GreatDane

• Members

i'm not talking pricetag, so leave the class war BS at home.

i'm talking about the one that you picked up, started playing and said to yourself, 'damn! this one has it.' (however you define "it").

was it an inseparable bond from that point on? did you put it back on the shelf, only to have it gone the next day when you realized your mistake and went back? did you buy it and foolishly sell it later? does it belong to a close friend who you're trying to convince to sell it to you?

post 'em if you got 'em, and share a story or two if you are so inclined.

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

This one, Tom Anderson Swamp Ash Classic with Fralin vintatge hots in the neck and middle, and a steel pole 43 in the bridge. Perfection. I sold it when my wife got pregnant the first time. I sold it to a guy from Hong Kong, he was in the states for 2 weeks and I shipped it out to him in LA before he left.andersonoutside-1.jpg

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by Burgess

View Post

The nicest guitar(s) I've ever played is any one of a dozen or so in my collection that I have setup myself. idn_smilie.gif

yeah, i get it; most any guitar can be a really nice player with the right set-up and tweaking. do you have one in the dozen (or so) that "brings it" just a bit more than the rest though, or it is really just as simple for you as a set-up to personal tastes?

• Members

Excuse the crappy photo but I'm going to have to go with my Reverend Flatroc
http://wickedchickenz.com/kit/photos...t/IMG_0021.jpg

It was a total crapshoot since there weren't any Reverend dealers around but my wife got the rest of the family to chip in to get it as my 2007 Christmas gift. Instantly it felt great and has been played heavily since then. I need to rewire it as one of the pots (or caps) seems to ahve gone bad and now there are no mids and highs. It could probably use a refret to as the first 6-7 frets are pitted to hell.

I have several other great feeling/playing guitars in my collection but the Flatroc will always be my first love.

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by GreatDane View Post
yeah, i get it; most any guitar can be a really nice player with the right set-up and tweaking. do you have one in the dozen (or so) that "brings it" just a bit more than the rest though, or it is really just as simple for you as a set-up to personal tastes?
My point is this:

It's not the guitar. I can bring it whenever I need to as long as the guitar is setup to my preferences. The guitar is really a bit player a that point.

• Members

My mates Dad bought a brand new Gibson J-200 in the 60's (jumbo acoustic). He was a young man at the time and has only owned that one guitar ever since. One chord sounds like a symphony and it feels like an extension of your body. I don't own it because it's his. He wants to be buried with it.

• Members

Probably the first guitar I fell in love with aesthetically was the Washburn A20. I was (even more) of a hack back then and had just began guitar lessons and they were about $1000 and well out of my price range. Until I saw one advertised in the local newspaper. I went and saw it and couldn

• Members

Probably an SG I played at a guitar store almost 25 years ago when I was first learning how to play. Back then I had no idea why it felt and played so good and to this day I still have no idea but it was amazing. I don't own it because I couldn't afford it back then. Another one that I do own is an Epi LP Custom that I bought about 20 years ago.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by GreatDane

View Post

awesome! did you get it directly from Joe? i like the layout- simple and effective.

No, I got it from a guy that bought it at an auction of old FOB gear- He had this one and the blue one that looks like it, he kept the blue one because it wasnt as dinged up- its seen some use but its a killer guitar- one of the best neck carves ever. It's also the heaviest guitar I have ever owned .

• Members

It would be either A) my 1983 Gibson Custom Shop Edition Studio (really plays like buttah, and I can't even tell you why) or my Parker Fly Classic

But then I did once play this upper end Ibanez (shred guitar model - I forget which one) my stepson owns that had the coolest feeling complex contours on the neck that it felt like none other I've ever had in my hands. It just felt totally ergonomic at whatever point your at on the fb.

• Members

Peavey Wolfgang Standard

Don't own it because it's out of my price range, and now they're discontinued. It was the neck that did it for me, perfect balance of chunky-meets-"shred" that I have yet to find on another guitar (the EBMM Axis is close, but not quite there). The new EVH brand version doesn't do it for me, just feels too generic.

• Members

One of the nicest playing guitars I have ever picked up and was really impressed with the feel and set up was at summer NAMM this year. It was a Zerberus Guitar, made in Germany.

i would like to try a Zerberus. they have some interesting guitars on eBay from time to time, but the prices are a bit out of my league. what was the neck carve like on the one you played?

• Members

My mates Dad bought a brand new Gibson J-200 in the 60's (jumbo acoustic). He was a young man at the time and has only owned that one guitar ever since. One chord sounds like a symphony and it feels like an extension of your body. I don't own it because it's his. He wants to be buried with it.

sounds like a perfect instrument. maybe you can let me know where he intends to be buried... :freak:

• Members
Probably the first guitar I fell in love with aesthetically was the Washburn A20. I was (even more) of a hack back then and had just began guitar lessons and they were about $1000 and well out of my price range. Until I saw one advertised in the local newspaper. I went and saw it and couldn

Archived