What's your favorite or recommended 1 x 12 combo amp?

GAS Man

• Members

Title says it all. I just think it's time to survey the crew on this.

Take all things into consideration that are important to you, whether that be tube/solid state, affordable/mid/upper-end/or boutique.

I was just thinking about my 1 x 12 buddies and think there's something missing. It could be that I would be nominating my old Fender Super 112. Great clean and more modern over drive tones, but it was unfortunately also by far the least dependable amp I ever bought.

So I'm curious what the crowd would float these days.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members
BC60.jpg

Over the past year, I've grown bored with this amp, and that's a good thing. It never surprises me, and I'm never fighting it. I just set it on clean, roll the Volume as high as it will go, EQ at 12 o'clock, Reverb at 2 or 3, the Master at whatever, and then it seems like I'm never more than a quarter turn away from getting exactly the sound I need at all times. I like that.

• Members

I just bought a Fender Princeton 112 Plus. It may be not the best amp ever created, but for some reason the clean tone really agrees with me and I like its looks. It's lightweight, and you can't get more affordable. It sounds really great as is but I'm thinking I might see if an Eminence Red, White, and Blues puts it over the top.

not my video but it was easier than finding a pic:

• Members

Well, it depend on wht kind of budget were talking about. Ifi here's no limit then I think the Tone King Metropolitan would be my first choice. My Electra dyne is a 1x12 but It as big as a 2x12 so it is hard to recommend when talking about more portable 1x12s.
For a more modest budget I'm quite thrilled with my Ampeg GVT 15. Tons of character, loves pedals, spring reverb, and an FX loop. Everything I need in a 1x12 combo.

• Members

I still love my Jet City combo. With a recent tube upgrade to JJ's (with a 5751 in V1), it sounds REALLY nice. This is not the amp for pristine cleans but for blues/classic rock stuff it's perfect. And it LOVES dirt pedals. Best $299 I've ever spent on a piece of gear.

DV016_Jpg_Large_583601_V.jpg

• Members

I absolutely LOVE my Dr. Z Maz 38 studio deluxe. Just killer one channel, no frills amp that sounds amazing.

I got a chance to test drive a Mark V a while back, and I really, really liked that as well. Kind of the polar opposite in terms of design, but really cool.

• Members

I like my Deluxe Reverb RI a lot, but it's modded and has been retuned with better glass and is a bit different animal than the stock ones in my rehearshal studio. That and the Hot Rod Deluxe are solid amps with very good clean sounds that offer a nice platform for some overdrive pedals. And frankly, a nicer overdrive pedals sounds better than a lot of the built in gain circuits in many low-mid priced tube amps.

Higher end, my friend has a 30w 1x12" Fuchs Overdrive Supreme combo and that thing kills. Light, compact, plenty of headroom, and a rare amp with great overdrive and clean tones.

• Members

So many great ones. I'm a big fan of Vox tones, so an AC15 or better yet a Hayseed 15/30 combo, or Morgan AC20 would be great choices there. For Fender the obvious choice, IMO is the Deluxe Reverb. Mesa has made many great 1x12 combos. I tend to think Mesa is the best value out there for amps, especially on the used market. Plug into any Mark series amp and you'll have tone for days. Riveras are awesome sounding and versatile. I thought the Jet City 112 was a one-trick Marshally kind of amp, but it does it well, and is extremely affordable. Bad Cat, Dr. Z, Music Man, Victoria, Matchless, Traynor...

There are so many great combos out there, whether classic, boutique or new production line amps, that I wouldn't mind plugging into. I'd have to have some parameters to make an actual recommendation.

Archived