Best Epi 339 Black Friday strategy (if there is one)?

chipwich

• Members

There was a thread here a little while ago asking if there is one guitar that seems like it was made for you. I was one of those that answered no, that they were all great depending on my mood, and the type of music that was being played. That was until I picked up a Cherry Gibson 339. Can't put it down. Looks, feels, and sounds so right.

The thing is, now I've been thinking about getting an Epi to lug to my lesson, to band practice, sit on the coach noodling, or sitting in a stand. Not really a beater, but something that I wouldn't get upset if my 2 year old daughter pulled over or if I accidentally dinged it on the desk.

OK, I know that they are not too expensive. Pros are $400 and Ultra $800. I wish so badly that they made the Pro in Pelham Blue. Guess that I will probably just pick up a cherry Pro, and probably from Sweetwater, so I can pick from a few. Can't go play one, because it seems that no LGSs or big box guitar shops keep them in stock. Regardless, are there any BF coupons or deals to be had on 339s? TIA

• Members

Reminds me of my friend Roy who built a beautiful street rod and now is afraid to drive it because it might get dirty .
I understand what you are saying but don't think the Epi will have that same magic .
I say you bought it to play so play it.

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by gardo View Post
Reminds me of my friend Roy who built a beautiful street rod and now is afraid to drive it because it might get dirty .
I understand what you are saying but don't think the Epi will have that same magic .
I say you bought it to play so play it.
Agreed. I take all my higher end guitars to guitar practice all the time play them I. The couch, and leave them sitting in stands and I too have a toddler.

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by chipwich View Post
...are there any BF coupons or deals to be had on 339s? TIA
They have been (somewhat) discounted via a handful of vendors on Amazon.

ES-339

$360 for the Epiphone (-$40)
$2300 for the Gibson you (and I) really want (-$300; however Sweetwater has the '59 neck in red for $2000)

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by chipwich View Post
Add it to the cart and it says "coming soon", with an estimate of Jan 25th.
The Limiteds have been running at $450 (and the black one still is) so maybe $400 pre-ordered is the best we'll get? I still wish I knew why the Limited costs more . . . is it color alone?

AMS says 1/15/13.

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by Puddintown View Post
The Limiteds have been running at $450 (and the black one still is) so maybe $400 pre-ordered is the best we'll get? I still wish I knew why the Limited costs more . . . is it color alone?

AMS says 1/15/13.
Most likely. I think that they are limited runs. Looks like MF calls their PB Ultras Limited. If memory serves, the Gibson Custom Shop did a limited run of PB 339s a couple of years ago. I will most likely pre-order a Epi PB Pro and sometime next year throw in some 57 Classics, keeping the coil splitting wiring. Should be interesting.

Archived