Move Remove Collapse

X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 100% of my guitars have the same problem. WTF

I have six guitars from various manufacturers, with different style bridges, tailpieces, tuners, nuts etc. and it doesn't matter how straight the neck is or if it has relief or if the treble end of the bridge is stupid high off the body. All of them do the exact same thing even after being worked on by techs, the high E string "wobbles" and/or frets out. It is very noticeable with open D chords (on all of the guitars) so that is what most of the clip is. The B string gives me some issues on my PS-900, too.

Can someone listen to this and tell me why five electrics and an acoustic would have the exact same problem and what can be done about it? This has been driving me crazy for most of the year and draining cash from my wallet trying to get it fixed. I am absolutely stumped by this.

Clip explanation, I played an open D chord but only on the first two strings so you can hear the clash between the E and B. Then I might play the E open and run up and down a few frets. There is a short rest then a countdown between each guitar. For some reason the acoustic recorded a lot quieter than the others, it didn't seem like it when I was recording. The guitars are in tune, so it isn't that.

Guitars in order of appearance: Gibson Les Paul Custom, Agile PS-900, Fender American Standard Stratocaster, Agile AD-2500, Ibanez EX-360, Douglas acoustic electric something or other. The Strat really sounds like crap and I've had two different techs work on it.

http://www.fileswap.com/dl/uB8sBh7DdV/posx6.wav.html
    The Artist Formerly Known As Señor Cleavage.
    Good deals with: Jim Hunter, vaughn4380, clapointe

Have you tried different techs?

Comment

Have you tried different techs?

Yeah, sounds like you may have a ****************ty tech.
      Mazi Bee Militia!
      JJ Pistols Kickfụck Brigade
      PpP
      My gear list is in serious need of an update...

Comment

Just the two so far, I'm leery of paying any more techs since the ones I've been to can't even fix the problem. I know it isn't fair to judge everyone in the area based on two but a 100% failure rate isn't very confidence building. Plus I have no idea who to go to around here.

Comment

nut slots cut too low? hard to say without looking at/examining the guitar(s)
          My Rig:
          #1: Jolly Roger Cutlasscaster (Duncan Custom 4/Lil '59)
          #2: Fender MIJ '62RI Strat (Rose BuffBeauty/Robusta/Robusta)
          #3: Ibanez SAS32 (X2N/PAF Pro)
          AudioTechnica Wireless, Boss NS-2, Korg Pitchblack, Boss GE-7, Dunlop Crybaby, Fulltone OCD, TC Nova repeater
          Jet City JCA100H
          Sunn 4x12 (G12-65s/Retro30s)

Proud Member of the Jet Setters (Jet City Lounge)

Comment

i only really hear it on the first 3. the the third is the worst, you are getting a sitar effect. I dont hear it on the fourth or 5th.

stuff:
            52RI Tele
            Gibson SG 1970s Tribute
            more stuff:
            65 Twin Reverb Reissue
            Cox Tweed Deluxe Ultimate

The REAL Angry

Comment

And the second one has been to a tech, as well as the Strat and the Ibanez.

I agree with Blakkwater that it is hard to say without seeing the guitars and I also thought the nut slots may be too deep but that is weird to have it on 6 guitars. At least nuts arent very expensive if I decide to swap 'em out.

Comment

try some nut sauce

stuff:
                52RI Tele
                Gibson SG 1970s Tribute
                more stuff:
                65 Twin Reverb Reissue
                Cox Tweed Deluxe Ultimate

The REAL Angry

Comment

I have gun oil, maybe try that?

Comment

String gauge ? Brand of strings ?
                    Fender-TeleSonic Tele Elite, ProJr, 75Amp, '67 Bassman w/212 cab
                    Gretsch- 71 Nashville, 2003 New Nashville
                    Gibson- 76 LP '55 model
                    BC Rich- 1977 Koa Eagle deluxe
                    Martin- 1972 D-35
                    Mesa Boogie-Subway Blues w/12" EVM 12L-F cab.
                    Assorted fun toys and boxes of joy.
                    "Many are cold, few are frozen"

Comment

/thread

that sticky, humid, salty air is hell for guitars. You should keep them all in a room with controlled humidity. I be they're all just warped from the climate.
                      rockin' for life

Originally Posted by GAS Man

Thrash the establishment, strip it down, and let it rip.

Originally Posted by Deadbeat Son

There's no "just a" allowed here. There's no reason to denigrate a great guitar that does the trick for you just because it's less expensive than someone else's.

Good Trades with: boonestunes, smithshred

Nox P

Comment

Ernie Ball Super Slinky, 009-042 on electrics, Ernie Ball Earthwood Light 11-52 on acoustic. I've used Super Slinkys since the Seventies with no problems.

Yes, I live directly across the street from the ocean, about a 1 minute walk from my front door to the sand. But shouldn't working the truss rod fix the issue? There are tons of bands around here, I can't imagine everybody having warped necks on all of their guitars.

Comment

/thread

that sticky, humid, salty air is hell for guitars. You should keep them all in a room with controlled humidity. I be they're all just warped from the climate.
                          Good point.

Comment

Ernie Ball Super Slinky, 009-042 on electrics, Ernie Ball Earthwood Light 11-52 on acoustic. I've used Super Slinkys since the Seventies with no problems.

Yes, I live directly across the street from the ocean, about a 1 minute walk from my front door to the sand. But shouldn't working the truss rod fix the issue? There are tons of bands around here, I can't imagine everybody having warped necks on all of their guitars.

When you got them back from techs
                            is it possible they had 010's ?
                            Maybe you should try a set and see if that helps. Then you'd know to do some saddle length adjustment. Get the octaves good and then test the string on fretted notes ( chromatic tuners are a godsend)
                            Like you want the B to make a good D and the E to make a good F# or G so you take a look at those while you are adjusting and looking at the tuner.
                            Fender-TeleSonic Tele Elite, ProJr, 75Amp, '67 Bassman w/212 cab
                            Gretsch- 71 Nashville, 2003 New Nashville
                            Gibson- 76 LP '55 model
                            BC Rich- 1977 Koa Eagle deluxe
                            Martin- 1972 D-35
                            Mesa Boogie-Subway Blues w/12" EVM 12L-F cab.
                            Assorted fun toys and boxes of joy.
                            "Many are cold, few are frozen"

Comment

Thanks for suggestions, gotta catch some Zs but will check back tomorrow. I hope everybody had a safe and happy Thanksgiving!

Comment

Working...
                              X