NGD: Black Friday Gibson Blue Mist Standard - Question?

orbm1

• Members

SO, I got a great deal in this guitar as you may already be aware.

I received it early today, but I waited until tonight to open the box as it is in 30's here in Michigan.

Before I opened the box, I notice a dent in the outside box, and what worried me the most, that I could feel the case/box shuffling inside!

Anyways, I opened the box expecting the worse and hoping for the best. Because of the shuffling of the box I inspected the guitar at every detail...

First of all, the guitar is GORGEOUS and the color is better in person than on pictures. Excuse the low light, iPhone photos:

3CB3B258-92A7-49D3-88AC-C2E8B259967B-333

BE4E0D49-C242-458B-B200-462A1B97E442-333

Something I noticed and I am not sure if it is normal or not, I saw a couple of "cracks" by the neck/headstock joint, pics from both sides:

3198D2B0-F5F8-4E74-9207-F92418A46E5B-333

3B204662-D6ED-44F1-8ABD-F893CE400DB9-333

C0830A0D-C2A6-44C5-A6AC-739EFA899EAA-333

D72979CE-4C1E-474F-9466-8B2E9516E556-333

NOW, I am not sure if this is NORMAL or not, I have had other LP's and I never seen this before.

Questions:

- Should I worry?
- Should I return it?

Thanks in advance for your comments and insights! wave.gif

Omar thumb.gif

• Members

I wouldn't be happy with that at all. They look like finish-only cracks but say the headstock got "whipped" hard in transit, short of a headstock snap. I am looking at the other pics and it seems like the finish along the edge of the nut to where it blends into the headstock looks very rough as if the wood is showing through the finish?

• Members

woo hoo!

That's gorgeous, but no, the checking is not normal. I agree with Han Solo, it looks like checking and not a crack. But, the temps have fluctuated over 25 degrees in the days it has been enroute, so I have my doubts regarding whiplash.

Although it's a Standard for Pete's sake, I would send it back.

• Members

Thank all for the comments...

Update:

The customer service guy (CJ) was top notch! Unfortunately, they don't have any more blue mist in stock, so exchange is out of the question. He did took some notes and add them in the system and asked me to PLEASE PLAY the guitar: if I am happy with it, to keep it and he may be able to give me something to make up for the defect, and if I am not happy or if something happens, to return it, no problems (I have 40 days to make up my mind)...

I will play it for 10 - 20 days and I will take to a tech (recommendations in SE Michigan?) to see how much would it cost to "fix" it, if it needs it anyways..

I'll play later and I'll try to take more pics.

Thanks!

Omar

• Members

Now on my PC, I only see one tiny line in the pics of the treble side (horizontal line in front of the nut). I can't imagine that being anything structural if that's the only evidence that it was stress related. A little super glue off the tip of a sewing needle might prevent it developing into a paint chip. Since they are willing to work with you, and if you can get some cash back, it may well be worth it. Is the model/color discontinued with no more coming in stock? No chance for a future exchange?

Still a damn fine looking guitar... why can't they make more guitars like this?

Archived