Move Remove Collapse

X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Best glue to use for a floyd rose trem stud/insert replacement

Never done this repair before, but I need to replace the studs/sleeve insert on a FR equipped guitar.

I have

Super glue (Cyano arcrylate)

Yellow elmers woodworkers glue which I have read is the same as titebond

Gorilla Glue.

Will any these work well,or do you have a better suggestion?

no glue at all , just push'em in .
    "Our virtues and our failings are inseparable, like force and matter. When they separate, man is no more."
    Nikola Tesla

Comment

Those bushings are designed to be pressed into wood, but some people add glue for whatever reason. If you aren't having trouble with it pulling out AND if the holes are actually sized properly with a snug fit then try it sans glue. If the holes are so big that the bushings are sloppy during insertion, don't rely on glue as a filler. I'd be thinking drill and plug in that case and start with fresh holes.

Before getting into ANY of that, I am curious what is wrong with the original bushings? Are they a different size than the new posts or have they become loose in some way? If they have gotten loose, then it seems highly likely that the wood needs to be addressed. The bushings shouldn't wear out.
      Originally Posted by wedgehed II

Instead of searching for intelligent life in the universe, NASA should send a probe to this thread.

Comment

The studs are on a 90's washburn mercury import and the allen wrench sockets on the studs are stripped and the sleeve and stud outside diameter is smaller than a regular FR so you can't just put in new FR studs. I have replaced the studs on other mercs with a wilkinson stud (same OD as the original), but uses a smaller allen wrench to adjust it, and so I decided to replace this one with regular floyd studs. I will need to drill the holes larger to accomodate

The originals are the ones that have the sleeves attached by a horizontal bar that is screwed into the guitar probably because some of them were made out of cheap wood or plywood. Another problem is that the trem rout landing for the sleeve/bar assembly is not deep enough with the additional thickness of the sleeve/bar and you bottom out the stud before the action is low enough. If the bar wasn't there, you could lower the trem for perfect action.

The import mercuries are good guitars with a little extra work.

This one is alder so it should be fine.

Comment

The answer is most definitely NOT Gorilla, that **************** is ****************ting ****************
          Music is a moral law. It gives soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination, and charm and gaiety to life and to everything. - Plato

Comment

You just press them in. If they don't stay without glue you need to plug and start anew.

Comment

Quote Originally Posted by Canadian Jeff
              View Post

If they don't stay without glue you need to plug and start anew.

Sounds like lyrics of a salacious nature!

Comment

Quote Originally Posted by Canadian Jeff
                View Post

You just press them in. If they don't stay without glue you need to plug and start anew.

This!
                This space left blank by accident

Comment

Thanks folks! I will hide the glues!

But can you hide "hide" glue?

Comment

Quote Originally Posted by Task
                    View Post

Thanks folks! I will hide the glues!

But can you hide "hide" glue?

You will need to glue the plug in place. Just about any hardware store will have dowel plugs. Drill to proper size, glue up the plug, install. I always use tape and my Japanese back saw to cut off the excess, but you can also insert the plug, mark with a pencil and cut it off prior to installation.
                    Irresponsible is what boring people call fun people

Comment

View Post

Sounds like lyrics of a salacious nature!

lol, so it does. I hadn't meant for it to.

Comment

View Post

Yellow elmers woodworkers glue which I have read is the same as titebond

Titebond I -- maybe, but not same as Titebond II or Titebond III. Luthiers use Titebond II and III these days.

Gorilla Glue.

This **************** should never get anywhere near a guitar that you care about. It's meant for emergency construction work, as in carpenters performing emergency work with wood where stuff needs to setup and cure quickly.

Comment

Quote Originally Posted by Reality Check
                          View Post

This **************** should never get anywhere near a guitar that you care about. It's meant for emergency construction work, as in carpenters performing emergency work with wood where stuff needs to setup and cure quickly.

You know I can't honestly think of anywhere that Gorilla **************** would be appropriate, its ****************ing horrible ****************
                          Music is a moral law. It gives soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination, and charm and gaiety to life and to everything. - Plato

Comment

Once the dowels are in, how do you precisely find the center of the dowel to drill it out. This is critical right?
                            Rig:
                            Ibanez S2170FB
                            Soldano X88R Clone Preamp
                            TC Electronic G-Major 2
                            50W EL34 Rack Power Amp
                            Lopo 2x12 Cab.

Stuff I've built:
                            5W tube amp (1 12AX7/1 EL84)
                            Ruby Cigar Box Amp
                            X88R Clone
                            50 Rack Power Amp

Comment

Quote Originally Posted by i386
                              View Post

Once the dowels are in, how do you precisely find the center of the dowel to drill it out. This is critical right?

http://halen.com/evh/index.php?name=...695389&start=0

That's the very first link I got off Google with regards to how to drill for Floyd studs. Your question has been answered a million times on a thousand other forums. Google yo.

Comment

Working...
                              X