How much does the looks of a new guitar make you like it anymore?

Drastion

• Members

I know looks are not everything especially with guitars. Its suposed to be about how they play and feel in your hand.

While I have not had much time to get the feel for it. I am feeling pretty disappointed with the looks of it. I mean I got a great deal on it so its not that. I also know its made of wood and you don't have much control other than before the wood is placed.

Parts just look weird like the fretboard. Other guitars I have had had pretty consistent dark color. This one is much lighter with a dark streak going from the left of the 22nd fret to the right of the 1st fret. Pluss there are strange while streaks along either side of the neck like white paint got inside the grain.

Next would be more of just complaining. The tiger stripe or book match veneer looks so much worse than any pics I have seen on the net. Not to a point of splotches of to much or to little stain. Just the general grain is rather flat. Nothing like the amazing texture and color on the product page. Again this part I am not so sure about being replaced would look better.

Sorry if I sound whiny its just I really wantes to like this guitar. All the pics I found through google told me that I would. That's just not the case.

Has anyone else just felt disappointed when they got a new guitar. I am not sure exchanging it is possible. But I don't want to have another guitar I end up despising the looks of like what ended up happening with my schecter.

• Members

I have to think it looks cool. that's the first barrier to pass befor I'd even consider buying it. I'd never buy a guitar I thought looked ugly or stupid. That's why you won't see me with a flying V or a rickenbacker. to me they're ugly. they might play great, but I wouldn't spend money on them because I hate how they look.

• Members

That's the same way I felt about a dean tyrant bloodstorm. Got a crazy good deal on it from a price mistake. Was on back order for months. Out of nowhere they ship it to me. I get it and while it sounded nice I just couldn't even close get past its looks. So I gave it to a friend who I work with and wanted to learn. Sending it back would probally have been a better idea. But I know he will pay me back eventually.

• Members

To me, looks are half of the reason I buy a guitar. The other half is how it plays.

This is one guitar that I wouldn't consider purely based on looks. It could play like butter and have tone oozing for days but I wouldn't care 'coz the head stock is too ugly to me.

18704d1326318289-havent-seen-one-these-b

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by guitarman View Post
To me, looks are half of the reason I buy a guitar. The other half is how it plays.

This is one guitar that I wouldn't consider purely based on looks. It could play like butter and have tone oozing for days but I wouldn't care 'coz the head stock is too ugly to me.

18704d1326318289-havent-seen-one-these-b
You could open big beers with it or pull your boots off with it.. That sonbitch is fugly.

• Members

Fretboards have variation in colour, it is normal. The whitle may be dust settled in the smaller lines along the fretboard from finishing/sanding. Use a wet rag or some lemon oil and clean it.

There is a rule here, pictures or it didn't happen. Otherwise, you get this...

simmons2.jpg

• Moderators

Quote Originally Posted by twotimingpete

View Post

I have to think it looks cool. that's the first barrier to pass befor I'd even consider buying it. I'd never buy a guitar I thought looked ugly or stupid. That's why you won't see me with a flying V or a rickenbacker. to me they're ugly. they might play great, but I wouldn't spend money on them because I hate how they look.

I gotta totally agree with thisidn_smilie.gif

• Members

well, i do consider looks when i am considering a purchase - but sound and feel is much more important to me. that being said, several things in the looks category will automatically reject a guitar from consideration. the 'worn' thing does nothing for me, and certain colors/shades are much more attractive. i guess it's like women ... in my world, she has to have a certain level of attractiveness before consideration of the rest of the package.

• Members

Here is a pic it should show up. I tried to get the neck but it wouldn't show up. I will try again tomorrow with better lighting.

Tell me is this what they all look like? To me it just looks flat , boring and has such a stark contrast from left to right bright to dark. Not saying it looks ugly just doesn't espire me to want to pick up and play it wich is the whole point to me.

IMG_20121129_135220.jpg

• Members

It's a great time to be a guitar player. There are more guitars with different style and finish options available for purchase than at any other time in history. With all the options that are out there, I really have to love everything about an instrument - including it's looks - before buying it. If not, I'll simply continue shopping around - which, for me, is half the fun anyway.

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by twotimingpete View Post
this number suggests that you would go with an exceptionally good feeling guitar even if you didn't like its looks. I wouldn't.
Yeah. I only have one guitar like this though; My Epiphone Les Paul Standard. Plays great, sounds great (upgraded the pups), but looks like the mess left after Stevie wonder wrecked that chick Cyndi Lauper all over the les paul while they were both on acid.

...Garish, disgusting, and yet soulful.

• Members

Fretboards have variation in colour, it is normal. The whitle may be dust settled in the smaller lines along the fretboard from finishing/sanding. Use a wet rag or some lemon oil and clean it.

There is a rule here, pictures or it didn't happen. Otherwise, you get this...

simmons2.jpg

...and now im scarred for life...thanks

Archived