Youtube Demo of my 1966 Fender guitar

SPONGEBOB

• Members

It was done with a camera phone. so the audio stinks, as does the video, but you kind of get the idea..
You hear lots of clanking from the cables under the guitar, because, I was so worried about distortion, I kept the volume on the amp just above a whisper. If you listen to the audio, you will hear my voice is louder than the steel!.. Should have turned it up some... Most Fender pedal steels in the 60's were either 8 string,[400] or dual neck 8 string[1000] ,, There was also a dual 10 string[2000], and mine is the most rare model for some reason the, single neck 10 string[800] VERY hard to find.
It weighs a ton compared to modern steels, about twice as heavy as a modern pedal steel.
The pickup is identical to the Fender jaguar pickup, black cover set in metal teeth, exposed poles,, and pretty twangy... btw guys, the are several 6 string pedal steels on the market today that are tuned like a guitar, and make a guitarist a pedal steel player quickly.. They run CHEAP too.. You can have a good quality 6 string pedal steel these days for around $600 mint used condition.. It won't turn you into a full time steel player, but it will add a huge new dimension to your guitar
" color pallette"... I would be happy to answer any PM's about pedal steel guitars in general if anyone cares to inquire... bob

• Members

Man that sounds great. I've played country in bands in my area with 2 different steel players, and I always felt they MADE our sound. I wish I had the patients to learn steel guitar. I've always wanted to stumble on and old steel guitar in a pawnshop,but it hasn't happened. I think you should move to South Texas to join a Country Church and bring people to God with those HOLY steel tones.. Just a thought.smile.gif

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by guitarcapo

View Post

that's a pedal steel. Not a guitar.

Pedal Steel GUITAR.. It has frets, similar string gauges and scale as a 6 string, E is open major chord, 3rd fret is g same as a 6 string, , it uses the same pickup as a Fender Jaguar, except for 4 more pole pieces,, and its played with fingerpicks, or bare fingers, or some guys play it well with a flatpick.. Is a resonator guitar also not a guitar??.. ANY steel guitar is indeed a guitar... bob

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by SPONGEBOB View Post
Pedal Steel GUITAR.. It has frets, similar string gauges and scale as a 6 string, E is open major chord, 3rd fret is g same as a 6 string, , it uses the same pickup as a Fender Jaguar, except for 4 more pole pieces,, and its played with fingerpicks, or bare fingers, or some guys play it well with a flatpick.. Is a resonator guitar also not a guitar??.. ANY steel guitar is indeed a guitar... bob
Fender called it a guitar in their own ad copy. Pedal Steel by itself doesn't seem to describe the instrument, but it's a semantical distinction at best.

So what I was surprised to read is that the pedal steel has frets. Do people actually fret notes??

l.jpg

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by axegrinder View Post
Fender called it a guitar in their own ad copy. Pedal Steel by itself doesn't seem to describe the instrument, but it's a semantical distinction at best.

So what I was surprised to read is that the pedal steel has frets. Do people actually fret notes??

l.jpg
Actually, there are no wire frets as you would have on a 'spanish"[fretted ] guitar.. There are fret markers.. You position the steel bar over the fret markers while playing. If you are off the fret markers, you are out of tune, so you need to be accurate.

Archived