Need a custom Jaguar wiring diagram

Loxley

• Members

Hey all,

I'm building a custom Jaguar right now, and I'm no expert at wiring and could use a diagram.

Basically, it's going to have two pickups, but no rhythm circuit nor volume or tone controls. To put it simply, all I want is the standard Jaguar switching (the three switches) and two pickups and an output jack.. that's it! Can anyone tell me how to wire this? Thank you.

• Members

Not at all trying to annoy, but could I talk you into trying the volume knob as a way to tweak tone? It has a different effect than a pedal, changing the shape of the sine wave as opposed to just amplitude.

Can't help with the diagram, but when I Googled there was plenty to look at, and IIR Fender's Jag manual (onilne at fender.com) has a wiring diagram.

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by Danhedonia View Post
Not at all trying to annoy, but could I talk you into trying the volume knob as a way to tweak tone? It has a different effect than a pedal, changing the shape of the sine wave as opposed to just amplitude.

Can't help with the diagram, but when I Googled there was plenty to look at, and IIR Fender's Jag manual (onilne at fender.com) has a wiring diagram.
I appreciate your concern, but honestly, I never ever use volume knobs to tweak my tone because I simply prefer the tone at 100% volume. In fact, I'm hardly a tone freak in the sense of traditional tone seekers. I play noise rock and shoegaze, and this guitar is strictly going to be a balls-to-the-wall treble noise machine.

Quote Originally Posted by honeyiscool View Post
This isn't hard at all. Jaguar pickup switches are just on-off affairs. Nothing crazy about it. Just ignore the rhythm circuit and volume/tone knob of any diagram.
Right, but what about the series/parallel switch?

• Members

What series parallel switch? Jaguar doesn't have one.

And if it did, series mode would only work when both pickups are on and otherwise there'd be no sound at all. It's the kind of thing that is easy to forget when you're on stage and fumbling with "Where did my sound go?" I'd suggest you use a blade switch like the Johnny Marr Jag.

• Members

I do like the idea of using the third switch as a killswitch. I'm assuming that I need the rhythm circuit to utilize the strangle switch, no?

A no-load pot isn't a bad idea.. I'm sure it's closer to what I'm getting at here.. And yes, I'm aware that no volume pot will give me different results.. but that's kind of what I'm going for with this guitar.. it's a treble machine. Hopefully it won't be too obnoxious, but if it is, it'll be easy to install a volume pot to fix it.

Also, Sonic Youth has almost always played nothing but Jazzmasters.. they're pretty mellow tone-wise compared to what I'm going for with a Jag, so that point is moot. I should also point out that I'm putting lipstick pickups in this.

• Members

Volume pot thread not dead yet! My taste in music goes to some serious sonic extremes (Flying Saucer Attack, the Dead C, whole bunch of {censored} on Kranky that could clear a yuppie martini bar in seconds). You *STILL* need to consider the difference between amplitude and distortion. Trust that we hear what you're saying, and still want you to have more sounds available. In fact, I'd keep the volume over the tone when it comes to "how many sounds can I get out of this?" Most tone knobs are really sweepy low pass filters - whereas volume adjustment through maniacal fx can lead to all kinds of harmonic goodness.

No, you don't need the rhythm circuit to use the strangle switch - that is a filter on the lead circuit only.

And most Jags are NOT wired like Mustangs (HIC is correct) .... so maybe you'd like to do that?

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by Loxley View Post
Hey all,

I'm building a custom Jaguar right now, and I'm no expert at wiring and could use a diagram.

Basically, it's going to have two pickups, but no rhythm circuit nor volume or tone controls. To put it simply, all I want is the standard Jaguar switching (the three switches) and two pickups and an output jack.. that's it! Can anyone tell me how to wire this? Thank you.
I like your idea. thumb.gif A nice diagram is a available from Seymour Duncan: http://www.seymourduncan.com/support...hematic=jaguar

You're basically going to cross out everything at the top right side of the picture and also cross out the volume and tone pots at the bottom left. I'm not really an expert and don't want to tell you wrong, but I'm sure that there are people around here who could figure the rest out. Or I think I read somewhere SD does custom diagrams... even if they charge a small fee it would probably be worth it not to screw up.

• Members

Sorry to bring this up again, but I need a new diagram.

Plans have changed a little.. I was going to use a no-load pot for the volume but I discovered that no load doesn't actually work for volume pots, just tone pots, so I scrapped that idea. Instead, I'm implementing a third switch, an on-on switch, that enables the volume pot or bypasses it.

Anyone?

Archived