What do you stick in your nut slot?

brandass

• Members

I've gotten away with a little piece of paper - I think the correct thing to do is sand a little material either from the top of the nut if there is excess or from a nut blank, mix it with super glue and use it to fill in the nut slot slightly - then you can file it to the correct height - have never done it myself a tech did something like that with an old Gretsch I had -

• Members

I have, in the past, shimmed one side of a nut to raise it slightly.

I've also heard of people using a mix of baking soda and super glue to build up a nut slot - but never actually done that myself so I can't comment on the effectiveness.

Pre-cut nuts, imo, are the way to go.

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by wagdog View Post

I've also heard of people using a mix of baking soda and super glue to build up a nut slot - but never actually done that myself so I can't comment on the effectiveness.

A guitar tech built up a slot for one of my guitars with a mixture of super glue and nut filings(the dust from filing down another nut). Worked great now for several years so I can testify to it's effectiveness.

• Members

I can. It's the best way to deal with one or two slots that are too deep. any more than that, just make a new nut. Put the baking soda in the slot and apply a SMALL drop of CA. It sets up NOW!
BTW I'm having good luck with corian. You can get 2" square samples at Lowe's, Homeboy's, etc. for free. You have to have a vice and a hackwaw to make the blanks, but corian is good {censored}, Maynard. I haz one customer who was burning thru nuts because of his insane whammy use. I put a Corian nut on his geetar and haven't seen him in a year. Well I actually saw him last nite and he's still raving about his nuts (DON'T GO THERE!!!!!eek.gif)

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by wader2k

View Post

A guitar tech built up a slot for one of my guitars with a mixture of super glue and nut filings(the dust from filing down another nut). Worked great now for several years so I can testify to it's effectiveness.

This is what I do if it's a cheap guitar or the owner won't spring for $15 to replace it with a new bone one. It can work fine, but MAKE SURE that the string makes contact with the front of the slot, otherwise all of the other notes on that string will be sharp when you tune it to the open string.

• Members

i had to do this with my Gibson, the high E all of a sudden was too low, it wasnt like that when I bought it.

anywho I took some baking soda, dipped my finger in it and smahed it into the slot and blew off the excess, repeated and then applied a small drop of super glue. Worked like a charm and you cant hardly tell but for some sheen on the nut

I got lucky and did not have to file it, it was just right.

plek4.jpg

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by Belva View Post
I can. It's the best way to deal with one or two slots that are too deep. any more than that, just make a new nut. Put the baking soda in the slot and apply a SMALL drop of CA. It sets up NOW!
BTW I'm having good luck with corian. You can get 2" square samples at Lowe's, Homeboy's, etc. for free. You have to have a vice and a hackwaw to make the blanks, but corian is good {censored}, Maynard. I haz one customer who was burning thru nuts because of his insane whammy use. I put a Corian nut on his geetar and haven't seen him in a year. Well I actually saw him last nite and he's still raving about his nuts (DON'T GO THERE!!!!!eek.gif)
I had a guitar with a corian nut. I don't know, I wasn't a fan, but then again, the whole guitar was set up wrong.

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by Belva View Post
I had a guitar with a corian nut. I don't know, I wasn't a fan, but then again, the whole guitar was set up wrong.

• Members

Your strings are just sitting on the nut. Shouldn't there be more of a groove so they can't slip?

Quote Originally Posted by Angry Tele View Post
i had to do this with my Gibson, the high E all of a sudden was too low, it wasnt like that when I bought it.

anywho I took some baking soda, dipped my finger in it and smahed it into the slot and blew off the excess, repeated and then applied a small drop of super glue. Worked like a charm and you cant hardly tell but for some sheen on the nut

I got lucky and did not have to file it, it was just right.

plek4.jpg

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by EJ_Boy

View Post

Your strings are just sitting on the nut. Shouldn't there be more of a groove so they can't slip?

No, that's about right. The depth of the slots for the wound strings should be half the width of the string. The depth of the slots for the plain strings should be about the width of the string.

• Members

I've also heard of people using a mix of baking soda and super glue to build up a nut slot
I got a guitar about a year ago or so that came new with some nut slots cut too low. The tech, who is one of 2 or 3 authorized Gibson techs in the state suggested fixing it with either of those two methods. I thought the baking soda and super glue routine sounding a bit hokey when I'd heard of it before, but he was very confident with that process. But I still opted for a new nut made of bone and just applied the warranty money towards it. I figured that way it was better than fixed, it was New & Improved biggrin.gif

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by Angry Tele View Post
im not having any problems with tuning, so the nut is OK. although recently ive been getting some creaking when bending but I put some Reel Oil in the slots and that fixed it.

Maybe its the pic that makes it look worse than it is.

plek1.jpg

my fender nuts are a bit wider and deeper though
grace9.jpg
The second pic looks a little deeper. Angle probably. The width/ depth Of the nut on your strat looks a lot like mine.

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by wader2k View Post
That's exactly what I've used. It has held up for years on an acoustic guitar.

If I were to do it again, I might use CA glue and an accelerator just because it gives you a bit more control. CA glue dries slow until you spray on the accelerator, then it hardens fast.