RIP Dave Brubeck

bsman

• Members

RIP, Dave. Thinking back, it's distinctly possible that "Take Five" was the first jazz song that I really liked as a kid. Of course when I was growing up, my parents listened mostly to country music with a little Beatles and CSNY thrown in, so my exposure to jazz was very limited until I was 12 or 13.

But man, I loved that song when I was 8 or 9.

• Members

Yeah, I heard that this morning and definitely took note. But to be honest, my first response was that I didn't know he was still alive. Sounds cliche', I know, but in his case I really would have guessed he'd already passed on. Hell, if an icon like that was still on this planet, he should have been paraded out on stage from time to time to be honored by the public before he passes.

I'm nowhere near a Jazz aficionado, but indeed, Take 5, is one of my top favorites and one of the few jazz pieces I've ever worked to learn on guitar.

Dave Brubeck
Charlie Parker
George Benson
Miles Davis &
Vince Guaraldi (who sadly only lived to 47 - but whose Jazz piano music is about the most instantly recognizable)

-are the only Jazz musicians (other than vocalists) whose music I've sought and bought.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by BeanoBoy

View Post

Take 5 is a HUGE piece of music. RIP Mr. Brubeck.

I agree. For those who don't know, however, "Take 5" was written by Paul Desmond. Certainly Brubeck's contribution to its performance (Desmond was in the DB Quartet) was key.

Archived