The $100 Guitar Project - (The guitar passes thru 65 hands & still on the move)

GAS Man

• Members

I heard about this on NPR today - I believe the radio said they'd be broadcasting the story about this tomorrow.
100DollarGuitar_body-front.jpg
FinalSignatures250.jpg

Quote:

On Oct 20, 2010, Nick Didkovsky and Chuck O'Meara (that's us) bought a $100 electric guitar from Elderly Instruments. We did not know what it sounded like or if it even worked, but we were charmed by its no-name vibe and single bridge pickup that looks like an old radio.

A bunch of our guitar playing friends were instantly charmed, too, including (take your time reading this, it's an awesome list): Alex Skolnick, David Starobin, Elliott Sharp, Mike Keneally, Barry Cleveland, Fred Frith, Henry Kaiser, Mark Hitt, Keith Rowe, Nels Cline, Andy Aledort, Hillary Fielding, John Shiurba, Karl Evangelista, Phil Burk, Ray Kallas, Janet Feder, Thomas Dimuzio, Julia Miller, Chris Murphy, Chuck O'Meara, Marty Carlson, Shawn Persinger, Kai Niggemann, Steve MacLean, Ken Field, Roger Miller, Michael Bierylo, Bill Brovold, Larry Polansky, Biota Bill Sharp, Ava Mendoza, Amy Denio, Bruce Eisenbeil, Caroline Feldmeier, Colin Marston, David Linaburg, Hans Tammen, James Moore, Jesse Krakow, Jesse Kranzler, Joe Bouchard, Jon Diaz, Josh Lopes, Kobe Van Cauwenberghe, Marco Cappelli, Marco Oppedissano, Joe Berger, Mark Solomon, Mark Stewart, Mike Lerner, Nick Didkovsky, Rhys Chatham, Ron Anderson, Taylor Levine, Tom Marsan, Greg Anderson, Han-earl Park, Del Rey, Teisco Del Rey, Matt Wilson, Bruce Zeines, Toon Callier/Zwerm, Juan Parra, and Wiek Hijmanns.

The $100 Guitar passed through the hands of over 65 players, each of which recorded a piece with it (anywhere from a few seconds to 3 minutes long), and then passed it on to the next player. We got enough pieces for Bridge Records to release a double CD (see below!).

The enthusiasm is kind of staggering; we started this idea and 48 hours later we were overwhelmed by the positive response!

READ/SEE MORE HERE (Including Vids)

http://www.100dollarguitar.com/

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by JRicoC View Post
I've never heard of ANY of those people. People take such liberties with the term "awesome" these days ...
Quote Originally Posted by bjcarl View Post
I didn't wanna be the first to say it...but +1

^^ I don't think that's the point. I heard a brief blurb on NPR on my drive home about this story. It's not as much about "who" plays the guitar, it's more about what they do with it. They've recorded a wide variety of music and basic sounds that all these musicians have done with this guitar.

I know I've had my worst guitar in the hands of a very pro classically trained musician and I was amazed to hear the tones he could coax out of it. Me, I use it to slice hard boiled eggs.

In this case they took a cheap guitar and have recorded where 68 (now) musicians have taken the instrument and it's still on the move.

I think that's a cool project for electric guitar fans.

Maybe I should have posted a "show me your green guitars" thread.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by JRicoC

View Post

I've never heard of ANY of those people. People take such liberties with the term "awesome" these days ...

You've never heard of Alex Skolnick? How about Testament or maybe Trans-Siberian Orchestra given the time of year when their songs are commonly heard with the rest of the holiday music?

• Members

And no one knows who Andy Aledort is?

Andy Aledort has been a significant figure in the international music scene over the last 20 years. As a senior editor for the top guitar-oriented music magazines Guitar World, Guitar for the Practicing Musician, Guitar Extra, Guitar Legends, and Guitar World Acoustic, among others, his work is unsurpassed as a music transcriber, instructional columnist and journalist.

He has authored over 200 books of guitar transcriptions as well as a series of guitar-related instructional guitar courses and books, all of which are distributed worldwide, for the leading music publishers Hal Leonard Corp., Warner Brothers Publishing and Cherry Lane Music.

Aledort is a performing musician as well: along with leading his own ensembles in the New York/tri-state area, he is often tapped for high-profile appearances with artists such as Buddy Guy, Dickey Betts, and the Allman Brothers band.

As a session player, Andy Aledort was called upon to recreate the Band Of Gypsys-era playing of Hendrix for recording sessions with the original Gypsys themselves, Billy Cox and drummer Buddy Miles, where Aledort was required to recreate note-for-note renditions of Hendrix

• Members

Awesome idea! And maybe instead of dismissing the list because you've never heard of anybody on it, you should educate yourselves. There are some serious monster players on there.

I like that they did this with a cheapo guitar. I know when I play on guitars like that, I end up approaching things way differently (you're usually forced to).

Thanks for posting GAS Man!

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by bjcarl

View Post

Teisco Del Ray is a person???

Teisco Del Ray is/was the psuedonym of columnist Dan Forte. Back in the 80's he wrote a column in Guitar Player about odd ball guitars like...Tiesco Del Rays. Dan currently writes for Vintage Guitar, and is a killer Surf guitarist.

• Members

we should do this here.

there's a place near here that always has some old japanese guitars like that. i could pick one up, and start things off.

I also have this fake Phantom that won't intonate that I would throw out there. It was less than $100:

nox1.jpg

It's my office guitar right now, but it's hard to play sitting down, anyway.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by cratz2

View Post

You've literally never heard of any of them? Or are you using hyperbole to display your opinion of all of them as C-list celebrities? ...

I have not heard of ANY of them, so I could not express an opinion about them. I was not trying to slog on the music, or even the intent. I did as the writer asked and took my time reading the entire list. I was shocked to not see any recognizable names given that it was referred to as an "awesome" list. It's not as if I'm in some form of over-the-top denial here; I've never seen anyone post a Ray Kallas, Marco Oppedissano, or Bruce Eisenbeil Appreciation thread here ...

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by JRicoC View Post
Language is a living thing dude. Awesome and rad (and words of the sort) have been misused for the past 30 years - it's to the point where they aren't even being misused anymore; the words just don't mean what they used to.

If you want to complain about a more recent abuse of the English language (and one I'd sell a toe to rid the world of) then have a look at the way some people are using the word "anymore" these days. It's disgusting.

Archived