Harmony Central Forums
Announcement Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

new clip (instrumental prog. metal) - feedback appreciated

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse







X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • new clip (instrumental prog. metal) - feedback appreciated

    Hi,



    I been working on re-recording one of my tunes, I added some new parts and worked on the mix.



    What do you guys think of the mix/playing/sounds/riffs, etc.



    http://soundcloud.com/larsbauer/metal-11-v2-1-0-mix1



    Thanks,

    Lars
    <div class="signaturecontainer"><font color="royalblue"><font face="Arial"><font size="2"><a target="_blank" href="http://www.larsbauer.com/">my website - free licks - some of my music</a></font></font></font></div><br><br><div class="signaturecontainer"><font color="royalblue"><font face="Arial"><font size="2"><a target="_blank" href="http://www.larsbauer.bandcamp.com/">my new EP 'Sonic Sketches' is out now (instrumental progressive Metal)</a></font></font></font></div>

  • #2
    This is a tough one. When I think of instrumental prog/metal I think of BtBaM, Animals as Leaders, Last Chance to Reason, LTE. But nothing in this song really jumps out or sounds like any of those bands. It is very musical though, but perhaps needs to be rethought. For soloing, I could definitely hear some Vinnie Moore, Steve Vai and of course Petrucci in there. There wasn't much of a climax. I actually wanted the song to be over sooner. Nothing really made me say "oh wow, i wonder whats around the corner". It was almost predictable. I'm not sure if you have enough gravy for the listener to stay hooked to it, maybe too many string beans on the plate. Maybe try to work in more modes, or phrasing that really hits those key notes to make it sound more colorful. You know what I mean?
    <div class="signaturecontainer">True happiness pours from the inside out.</div>

    Comment


    • #3
      I liked it. I can see the anticlimactic viewpoint though. Is that 7 strings? A little formulaic sounding but well played and recorded for sure. Where did the drums come from.
      <div class="signaturecontainer">LIVESTRONG<br><br><br>< br><a target="_blank" href="http://www.bandmix.com/kevman/">www.bandmix.com/kevman/</a></div><br><br>Hey what happened? I had 5000+ posts here.

      Comment


      • #4
        Nice work! I just started a new progressive, technical, black metal band myself (sort of Blotted Science meets Dimmu Borgir). Be sure to post anything else you do, keep it up! ,,/
        <div class="signaturecontainer">-Luke<br />
        <font size="1">You can trust: Misle, teleman, Teh Bacons, usebigwords, honkytone, uOpt.</font><br />
        Member of the SG Army</div>

        Comment


        • #5






          Quote Originally Posted by formosa
          View Post

          This is a tough one. When I think of instrumental prog/metal I think of BtBaM, Animals as Leaders, Last Chance to Reason, LTE. But nothing in this song really jumps out or sounds like any of those bands. It is very musical though, but perhaps needs to be rethought. For soloing, I could definitely hear some Vinnie Moore, Steve Vai and of course Petrucci in there. There wasn't much of a climax. I actually wanted the song to be over sooner. Nothing really made me say "oh wow, i wonder whats around the corner". It was almost predictable. I'm not sure if you have enough gravy for the listener to stay hooked to it, maybe too many string beans on the plate. Maybe try to work in more modes, or phrasing that really hits those key notes to make it sound more colorful. You know what I mean?




          Thanks a lot, I appreciate the feedback.



          yes, I agree, the solo does not really have a climax. At some point it would be awesome to have some shredding in there, but my technique (or lack thereof) stops me from doing anything really fast.











          Quote Originally Posted by Kevman
          View Post

          I liked it. I can see the anticlimactic viewpoint though. Is that 7 strings? A little formulaic sounding but well played and recorded for sure. Where did the drums come from.




          Thanks!

          Yes, I played this on an RG 7 string (the one in my avatar).

          Drums were done with Addictive Drums.









          Quote Originally Posted by 3 Headed Moses
          View Post

          Nice work! I just started a new progressive, technical, black metal band myself (sort of Blotted Science meets Dimmu Borgir). Be sure to post anything else you do, keep it up! ,,/




          Thanks, man!

          I love Blotted Science! (huge Jarzombek fan).
          <div class="signaturecontainer"><font color="royalblue"><font face="Arial"><font size="2"><a target="_blank" href="http://www.larsbauer.com/">my website - free licks - some of my music</a></font></font></font></div><br><br><div class="signaturecontainer"><font color="royalblue"><font face="Arial"><font size="2"><a target="_blank" href="http://www.larsbauer.bandcamp.com/">my new EP 'Sonic Sketches' is out now (instrumental progressive Metal)</a></font></font></font></div>

          Comment


          • #6
            I like it - it's got some technical bits with some nice tension and some nicely melodic harmony parts that offsets the heavy metrical riffing. Some nice tones too. I'd love to know what you're doing for the drums as well - they work well for this. The layered multitracked guitars in some sections are particularly impressive.



            That being said some of the sections have a little bit of timbral sameness - when the multitracked sections end we go back to a standard drop tuned heavy guitar with drums and bass - maybe in those sections add some textures to make it sound less like "sections are layered heavily and other sections just aren't" effect. Otherwise it's very cool - some real nice work here.
            ________________________________________
            music projects are now available online at http://aliensporebomb.com

            Comment


            • #7






              Quote Originally Posted by aliensporebomb
              View Post

              I like it - it's got some technical bits with some nice tension and some nicely melodic harmony parts that offsets the heavy metrical riffing. Some nice tones too. I'd love to know what you're doing for the drums as well - they work well for this. The layered multitracked guitars in some sections are particularly impressive.



              That being said some of the sections have a little bit of timbral sameness - when the multitracked sections end we go back to a standard drop tuned heavy guitar with drums and bass - maybe in those sections add some textures to make it sound less like "sections are layered heavily and other sections just aren't" effect. Otherwise it's very cool - some real nice work here.




              Thank you very much!



              I used Addictive Drums on this with the Metal AdPak.



              Yeah, I basically have two different kinds of textures, like you said, one is just low guitar riffing with bass and drums and the other is the parts with all the melodic stuff going on. I agree, not too much variation going on here.

              The whole idea of thinking in textures and having different layers is still pretty new to me, I still gotta learn so much about this.
              <div class="signaturecontainer"><font color="royalblue"><font face="Arial"><font size="2"><a target="_blank" href="http://www.larsbauer.com/">my website - free licks - some of my music</a></font></font></font></div><br><br><div class="signaturecontainer"><font color="royalblue"><font face="Arial"><font size="2"><a target="_blank" href="http://www.larsbauer.bandcamp.com/">my new EP 'Sonic Sketches' is out now (instrumental progressive Metal)</a></font></font></font></div>

              Comment


              • #8






                Quote Originally Posted by Santuzzo
                View Post

                Thanks a lot, I appreciate the feedback.



                yes, I agree, the solo does not really have a climax. At some point it would be awesome to have some shredding in there, but my technique (or lack thereof) stops me from doing anything really fast.




                I'm not much of a fan of fast playing any more, you can certainly do it, but I'd much rather hear well chosen notes that really speak to the listener. Silence lets the music speak.
                <div class="signaturecontainer">True happiness pours from the inside out.</div>

                Comment


                • #9






                  Quote Originally Posted by formosa
                  View Post

                  I'm not much of a fan of fast playing any more, you can certainly do it, but I'd much rather hear well chosen notes that really speak to the listener. Silence lets the music speak.




                  Yeah, I guess could reach a build up by starting more sparingly, too!
                  <div class="signaturecontainer"><font color="royalblue"><font face="Arial"><font size="2"><a target="_blank" href="http://www.larsbauer.com/">my website - free licks - some of my music</a></font></font></font></div><br><br><div class="signaturecontainer"><font color="royalblue"><font face="Arial"><font size="2"><a target="_blank" href="http://www.larsbauer.bandcamp.com/">my new EP 'Sonic Sketches' is out now (instrumental progressive Metal)</a></font></font></font></div>

                  Comment


                  • #10


                    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_KUhADOESHY
                    <div class="signaturecontainer">True happiness pours from the inside out.</div>

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      anybody else?
                      <div class="signaturecontainer"><font color="royalblue"><font face="Arial"><font size="2"><a target="_blank" href="http://www.larsbauer.com/">my website - free licks - some of my music</a></font></font></font></div><br><br><div class="signaturecontainer"><font color="royalblue"><font face="Arial"><font size="2"><a target="_blank" href="http://www.larsbauer.bandcamp.com/">my new EP 'Sonic Sketches' is out now (instrumental progressive Metal)</a></font></font></font></div>

                      Comment


                      • #12






                        Quote Originally Posted by Santuzzo
                        View Post

                        anybody else?




                        time for another bump
                        <div class="signaturecontainer"><font color="royalblue"><font face="Arial"><font size="2"><a target="_blank" href="http://www.larsbauer.com/">my website - free licks - some of my music</a></font></font></font></div><br><br><div class="signaturecontainer"><font color="royalblue"><font face="Arial"><font size="2"><a target="_blank" href="http://www.larsbauer.bandcamp.com/">my new EP 'Sonic Sketches' is out now (instrumental progressive Metal)</a></font></font></font></div>

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          It's not really my normal style of music, but I listened to it a couple of nights ago and really dug it.
                          Vintage Sunburst Epi Dot Dlx: Seth Lover set | Red MIM Strat: Tonerider City Limits set; Deaf Eddie Fat-O-Caster switch | 3TS Classic Vibe 60s Strat: Deaf Eddie Chromacaster switch | Ibanez SZ520QM: Dimarzio Bluesbucker & Air Zone | Fender Sonoran Bucket acoustic-electric | Fender Super Champ XD: Eminence Ragin' Cajun; JJ Tubes | Fender G-Dec III 30: Eminence Ragin' Cajun

                          Comment


                          • #14






                            Quote Originally Posted by Santuzzo
                            View Post

                            Hi,



                            I been working on re-recording one of my tunes, I added some new parts and worked on the mix.



                            What do you guys think of the mix/playing/sounds/riffs, etc.



                            http://soundcloud.com/larsbauer/metal-11-v2-1-0-mix1



                            Thanks,

                            Lars




                            Sweet, I enjoyed listening to that

                            Comment


                            • #15






                              Quote Originally Posted by formosa
                              View Post





                              I enjoyed this, too

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X