School me on Danelectro's!

Fersnachi

• Members

The first reissues (MIK, late 90s) are considered the best by many but the MIC are decent too. Check out danguitars.com for lots of info on models, but they tend to sell at a premium. I currently have a MIK convertible and a MIC U2 ('56 single cut). The '59 (aka Jimmy page double cut model) are also very popular. There are some other quirky models too that might appeal to you depending what you like. You should be able to get many in good to like new condition for $200 - $300.

• Members

Most are pretty good guitars. They are fairly crudely built, but they have their own unique tones. They make for great slide guitars (bluesy) and have more than their own fair share of twang. I bought a Dead On '67 that's a solid body build and I'd say I don't enjoy it's tone quite as much as the semi-hollow masonite designs.

Beside the Dead On '67 RI, I have a '63 Baritone RI, Hodad, '59 DC RI, and '56 Pro RI.

If you want a unique vintagey vibe, go for it, if you want a more precise modern rock guitar, I'd say look elsewhere.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by Meowy

View Post

The first reissues (MIK, late 90s) are considered the best by many but the MIC are decent too. Check out danguitars.com for lots of info on models, but they tend to sell at a premium. I currently have a MIK convertible and a MIC U2 ('56 single cut). The '59 (aka Jimmy page double cut model) are also very popular. There are some other quirky models too that might appeal to you depending what you like. You should be able to get many in good to like new condition for $200 - $300.

I think it's worth mentioning that they're MIK again.

• Members

I have a 63' reissue, the one that nobody really seems to like, but I actually dig it a lot. For some reason, I just don't dig the wooden bridges a lot of Dano's offer, so this one fit's perfectly for me. The neck pickup is really nice, but the bridge pickup was weak, so I replaced it with an SD, sounds awesome now. The good news is that a lot of the Dano models can be found for cheap, so browse around Craigslist and you should be able to hook one for $100-$150

• Members

Had a Dano I scored in the '80s (Traded Peter Buck a Gretsch Tennessean..) come back into my life recently, bit the bullet and grabbed a Page Dano re-issue to find out how different they sound...

DSC04597.jpg

Surprisingly close, amplified. (The original is noticeably louder, richer unplugged).
The newer one has a more friendly neck, bridge allows much better intonation.

• Members

First, a little schooling on grammar: Danelectros, there is no apostrophe.

The guitars: Best clean tones anywhere. Better than a Ric or a Tele. Awesome necks. Can also get very fat distorted tones, possibly because of the hollow construction. Can twang on the bridge. Super light in general.

Cons: Obviously, the rosewood saddle. Some say it contributes to the tone. All my Danos have RW saddles so I can't comment on this one way or the other. Also, the bridges bend up over time and will need to be replaced.

• Members

I have one of the few Danos not a re-ish, an MIK Hodad w/Fakesby. Currently has a small wiring prob I need to fix, but then again I'm pretty rough with guitars onstage, so more probably my bad than the fault of the axe. The lipsticks are wired like HBs but also can be split. Doesn't have the trad wooden bridge since it's not a re-ish, so no issue there.

Krash likee.

3141374077_74b1b0f4a0.jpg

382784_10150461312383879_1463384887_n.jp

373802_10150461312833879_59569740_n.jpg

• Members

Waay back when I was a 15 year old, my first electric was a made in Neptune NJ Danelectro double cutaway with 2 lipstick pickups. It was a bomb proof beast, with a lighting fast neck. Really cheesy (but rugged) construction, bright twangy sound. Masonite and formica top and bottom, contact paper sides, formica pickguard, chunky flat topped frets, non adjustable but perfect neck. It was a one trick pony as far as versatility, and I was really jealous of our rhythm guitarist's Strat.

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by Brian Krashpad View Post

3141374077_74b1b0f4a0.jpg

I still occasionally kick myself for not snapping up one of those Fakesby-equipped Hodads back in the day. I spotted one at my local L&McQ and fell in love when I played it. But I convinced myself I already had enough guitars and didn't need another. facepalm.giffacepalm.gif

This is my one-and-only Danelectro: a MiK DC-12. I absolutely love this guitar; Danelectros make the best 12-strings south of Rickenbacker and I'd argue their necks aren't as nice as Danelectro's.

IMG_0381.jpg

I swapped out the original pickups, after they died, for Seymour Duncans, and rearranged the pots so they'd be more to my liking. It's even better now.

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by Alecto View Post
I still occasionally kick myself for snapping one of those Fakesby-equipped Hodads back in the day. I spotted one at my local L&McQ and fell in love when I played it. However I convinced myself I already had enough guitars and didn't need another. facepalm.giffacepalm.gif

This is my one-and-only Danelectro: a MiK DC-12. I absolutely love this guitar; Danelectros make the best 12-strings south of Rickenbacker and I'd argue their necks aren't as nice as Danelectro's.

IMG_0381.jpg

I swapped out the original pickups, after they died, for Seymour Duncans, and rearranged the pots so they'd be more to my liking. It's even better now.
Whoa, mama, that looks sharp! I love those DC's w/the "seal" guards. Right now I have an inexpensive electric 12 (a white Daisy Rock Retro-H) but may be selling it, as I've been brokedity broke-ass broke for awhile due to health costs (in addition to my costs, recently my adult daughter's migraines actually resulted in a couple emergency room visits no longer covered by ins.), and if that goes I'll eventually replace with a Dano 12. They're the recognized leader of the inexpensive electric 12 pack, from everything I've seen online here and elsewhere.

• Members

Love Dano's. Nathan Daniels started the company back in the 40's or 50's [www.danguitars.com for history lessons]. He made amps and guitars. Some for Sears under the Silvertone brand, and his own Danelectro and Coral brands. He's responsible for a number of fundamental innovations in guitardom, not the least of which he invented the push-pull tube amp, which has been widely copied since.

Many of the original Danos and Silvertones were not that good as instruments but have this gorgeous, bell-like tone to them. Luthier Jerry Jones has been making boutique versions of the old Dano's for years and has been the person most responsible for keeping the mojo alive. His stuff does tend to the pricey end of the spectrum, though.

Evets [http://www.danelectro.com/] got the rights to the Danelectro name and started producing re-issues in the 90's at mass-produced price points. They originally came out with a whole range of instruments and just about went under as a consequence. They regrouped and have adopted a business model that sees them introduce a few new guitars which they offer for a year, after which they stop making them. There is a noticeable exception to that at Musician's Friend - they have an exclusive on the black DC-2/12 and it appears to be an always stocked item.

DV016_Jpg_Large_423552.001_black.jpg
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/guita...lectric-guitar

They also have their popular effects pedals as well as the Snark tuners.

The first re-issues [and maybe the 2nd] used Alnico magnets in the lipsticks, which is vintage correct and also sound super sweet. At some point they switched to ceramic which don't sound as good. And you can't flip the polarity on ceramic like you can on Alnico, so you can't make a 2 pickup version humbuck when both pups are on. All the reissues are very well made instruments, just be prepared to swap pickups if you don't like the ceramics. A number of companies offer nice lipstick pickups these days, so choices are plentiful.

I have one of the first re-issue doublenecks:

Double-Dano.gif

I changed the bottom neck to a long-scale that I alternate stringing between baritone and bass vi. I've also added a Roland GK synth pickup to the 12-string neck. It's a pretty sick guitar. Then I found myself with a left-over neck, so that became the start of the Danedetto:

Danedetto-d.jpg

You can read about over at http://www.danguitars.com/PROJECTS.html . I've since made a 7-string version that is my #1 at the moment:

Danedetto7-front.jpg

I'm hankering for a '63, or an original amp-in-case. A sitar-guitar would be fun. And a DC-2, and...

Love Danos!!

• Members

Get an original.. the knock offs sound like garbage in comparison.. Not even close.. I have had many originals, and reissues, and there is simply no comparison.. For $500 you can get a two pickup red sparkle Silvertone /Dano 1457 that plays well and sounds like fine old gold.. Then you can play it for years and sell it for more than you paid//// bob

Archived