Gibson Midtown

genesis3

• Members
gibsonmidtown.jpg

Just got the Gibson Midtown in cherry sunburst....I like everything about it except the narrow fretboard....great for wanking faux slide but just too narrow I think for my fingers to get around comfortably. The play is a bit on the stiff side too, though that could probably be adjusted out and a new set of D'Addarios too. Beautiful fit and finish (except the bridge P90 which is on the loose side)

Here's a couple of rough LZ clips with it, in celebration of the Celebration Day DVD biggrin.gif...

https://soundcloud.com/noizeystuff/in-my-time-of-dying

https://soundcloud.com/noizeystuff/nobodys-fault

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by PunkKitty View Post
Nice. I have the same guitar. I really like it.

That's great...I think it's the best of the finish choices and it matches my LP....The tuners are cool...never seen any like this, the keys, buttons...whatever you call them look like Klusons but the rest of it has the sturdiness of typical Grovers, nice. I actually think I like the flat body as much as if it were arched

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by Will Chen View Post
Your neck is narrow? Huh! I thought the Midtown neck was just a hair wide. The neck spec is 1.695 the same as the LP Standard which is actually wider than the 339...

ha, I forgot to mention....my Warmoth, which feels 100% perfect for my hands is 1 and 3/4 INCHES and the nut, and even tapers up from there. That's pretty massively wide, which means plenty of room between strings which I like better, so when I say tge Midtown is too narrow, I'm using that as comparison. Many players would probably like it just fine... Plus it doesn't taper as much up the neck, if at all, so it really feels cramped in comparison. I can adjust for it somewhat, but my preference now is the super wides. By comparison, it also is literally nearly effortless to fret and bend notes. The Midtown by comparison is stiff, though I think I can tweak the relief some on the truss rod to improve that...

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by genesis3

View Post

ha, I forgot to mention....my Warmoth, which feels 100% perfect for my hands is 1 and 3/4 INCHES and the nut, and even tapers up from there. That's pretty massively wide, which means plenty of room between strings which I like better, so when I say tge Midtown is too narrow, I'm using that as comparison. Many players would probably like it just fine... Plus it doesn't taper as much up the neck, if at all, so it really feels cramped in comparison. I can adjust for it somewhat, but my preference now is the super wides. By comparison, it also is literally nearly effortless to fret and bend notes. The Midtown by comparison is stiff, though I think I can tweak the relief some on the truss rod to improve that...

Wow, so interesting how different experiences can result in different perception. For me, the Midtown feels slightly wide with a very slinky feel to it. The taper spec is 1.695 to 2.260 which should be wider neck than a Fender neck pocket would allow. In comparison to my American Standard Strat, the neck is thinner and wider...though not by leaps and bounds. I can fully understand the preference thing though. My main axe is an Epuphone ES-339 which is skinnier by comparison (1.68 at the nut), as such the Midtown feels wider.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by Will Chen

View Post

Wow, so interesting how different experiences can result in different perception. For me, the Midtown feels slightly wide with a very slinky feel to it. The taper spec is 1.695 to 2.260 which should be wider neck than a Fender neck pocket would allow. In comparison to my American Standard Strat, the neck is thinner and wider...though not by leaps and bounds. I can fully understand the preference thing though. My main axe is an Epuphone ES-339 which is skinnier by comparison (1.68 at the nut), as such the Midtown feels wider.

Not to derail, but Will, do you still have all three Midtowns? wink.gifpoke.gif

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by genesis3 View Post
gibsonmidtown.jpg

Just got the Gibson Midtown in cherry sunburst....I like everything about it except the narrow fretboard....great for wanking faux slide but just too narrow I think for my fingers to get around comfortably. The play is a bit on the stiff side too, though that could probably be adjusted out and a new set of D'Addarios too. Beautiful fit and finish (except the bridge P90 which is on the loose side)

Here's a couple of rough LZ clips with it, in celebration of the Celebration Day DVD biggrin.gif...

The fretboard is the first thing I check before I look at buying any guitar. If the fretboard doesn't fit my hands and fingers, then the guitar doesn't fit me. I just move on.

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by genesis3 View Post
gibsonmidtown.jpg

The fretboard is the first thing I check before I look at buying any guitar. If the fretboard doesn't fit my hands and fingers, then the guitar doesn't fit me. I just move on.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by Steadfastly

View Post

makes sense...there is a more practical side though, a guit that isn't a glove fit from A to Z can still have many many spot uses, like if it produces tones you're looking for in a recording, or setup for alternate tuning, slide use, etc,etc,etc...plus it's good to know you can adapt to different sizes and feel guitars...

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by Verne Andru

View Post

You're a bunch of neck-width {censored}'s. I move from 5 string bass through 7 string guitar right down to mandolin. It's amazing how adaptable our hands can be when accompanied with an open mind!

You just have really adaptable hands. I need a fat neck I can grab or my wrist cramps up.

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by jpnyc View Post
You just have really adaptable hands. I need a fat neck I can grab or my wrist cramps up.
Hey, I'm just having a bit of fun. Everyone has their preferences - vive la difference - and sometimes I wonder if I would be a better player if I focused on a single instrument. But I like the diversity of sounds and adapting is part of the price I'm prepared to pay.

I have a buddy who likes really chunky necks. He has the same problem with hand's cramping on skinny ones. My theory is that on fat necks the back of the neck supports the hand between the thumb and index finger whereas skinny necks require the thumb to do the heavy lifting. When moving from a fat neck to a skinny one the thumb hasn't developed the strength it needs so the other muscles can't compensate and cramp up. Nothing wrong with this, just how people choose to train their hand muscles and as long as it works, it's all good.

• Members

Hey, I'm just having a bit of fun. Everyone has their preferences - vive la difference - and sometimes I wonder if I would be a better player if I focused on a single instrument. But I like the diversity of sounds and adapting is part of the price I'm prepared to pay.

I have a buddy who likes really chunky necks. He has the same problem with hand's cramping on skinny ones. My theory is that on fat necks the back of the neck supports the hand between the thumb and index finger whereas skinny necks require the thumb to do the heavy lifting. When moving from a fat neck to a skinny one the thumb hasn't developed the strength it needs so the other muscles can't compensate and cramp up. Nothing wrong with this, just how people choose to train their hand muscles and as long as it works, it's all good.

Some people just have really big hands too. Regular guitar necks feel like mandolins in my toilet seat hands. Why wear shoes that are two sizes too small for you?

• Members

makes sense...there is a more practical side though, a guit that isn't a glove fit from A to Z can still have many many spot uses, like if it produces tones you're looking for in a recording, or setup for alternate tuning, slide use, etc,etc,etc...plus it's good to know you can adapt to different sizes and feel guitars...

You have a point. On the other hand, you likely have smaller hands and fingers than mine. It limits the size necks I'm comfortable with.

Archived