Harmony Central Forums
Announcement Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

Gibson Midtown

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse







X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Gibson Midtown





    Just got the Gibson Midtown in cherry sunburst....I like everything about it except the narrow fretboard....great for wanking faux slide but just too narrow I think for my fingers to get around comfortably. The play is a bit on the stiff side too, though that could probably be adjusted out and a new set of D'Addarios too. Beautiful fit and finish (except the bridge P90 which is on the loose side)



    Here's a couple of rough LZ clips with it, in celebration of the Celebration Day DVD ...



    https://soundcloud.com/noizeystuff/in-my-time-of-dying



    https://soundcloud.com/noizeystuff/nobodys-fault

  • #2
    Nice. I have the same guitar. I really like it.

    Comment


    • #3
      Enjoyed the review, thanks!



      Clips didn't work for me, but it might be my computer, it's old and glitchy.
      Great transactions with: pan760, Unclemeat, adlo76, deadanddreaming, Woody_in_MN, Rose Pickups, Toshiro, BryanMichael, cbh5150, Rand-O-Monium, ugameus, jcm800stratman

      "It's the internet, dude. We all make six figures, f*ck supermodels and drive 9 second Supras when we're not in here bitching about our MIM Strats." [flummox]

      "Before you read this post, it should be noted that I f*cking love bunny rabbits." [CompleteGuitard]

      Comment


      • #4






        Quote Originally Posted by PunkKitty
        View Post

        Nice. I have the same guitar. I really like it.






        That's great...I think it's the best of the finish choices and it matches my LP....The tuners are cool...never seen any like this, the keys, buttons...whatever you call them look like Klusons but the rest of it has the sturdiness of typical Grovers, nice. I actually think I like the flat body as much as if it were arched

        Comment


        • #5
          I have the Wine Red model and love it, can't say I agree with you about the neck, how comfortable it is was the first thing that got my attention when playing more for the first time.
          <div class="signaturecontainer">Member of the SG Army<img src="http://img3.harmony-central.com/acapella/ubb/thumb.gif" border="0" alt="" title="thumbs up" class="inlineimg" /></div>

          Comment


          • #6
            Your neck is narrow? Huh! I thought the Midtown neck was just a hair wide. The neck spec is 1.695 the same as the LP Standard which is actually wider than the 339...
            <div class="signaturecontainer"><b><br><br></b><div align="center"><font color="#0073bc"><font color="#000000"><a href="http://www.reverbnation.com/willchentrio" target="_blank">Will Chen Trio</a> | <a href="http://FrugalGuitarist.com" target="_blank">FrugalGuitarist.com</a> | <a href="http://www.facebook.com/pages/FrugalGuitaristcom/52247336654" target="_blank">FG on Facebook</a> | <a href="http://forum.frugalguitarist.com/" target="_blank">Forum</a><br><br></font></font></div></div>

            Comment


            • #7






              Quote Originally Posted by Will Chen
              View Post

              Your neck is narrow? Huh! I thought the Midtown neck was just a hair wide. The neck spec is 1.695 the same as the LP Standard which is actually wider than the 339...






              ha, I forgot to mention....my Warmoth, which feels 100% perfect for my hands is 1 and 3/4 INCHES and the nut, and even tapers up from there. That's pretty massively wide, which means plenty of room between strings which I like better, so when I say tge Midtown is too narrow, I'm using that as comparison. Many players would probably like it just fine... Plus it doesn't taper as much up the neck, if at all, so it really feels cramped in comparison. I can adjust for it somewhat, but my preference now is the super wides. By comparison, it also is literally nearly effortless to fret and bend notes. The Midtown by comparison is stiff, though I think I can tweak the relief some on the truss rod to improve that...

              Comment


              • #8
                Congrats! I snagged the Custom version myself with the Burstbucker 1 & 2 humboogies.
                A '57 Classic, MIJ from USA parts.
                HCEG Existentialism: I buy guitars, therefore, I am.
                Well Dick, it's got a good beat, and I could dance to it, so I give it a 10!
                I have opinions of my own,strong opinions but I don't always agree with them.

                Comment


                • #9






                  Quote Originally Posted by GAS Man
                  View Post

                  Congrats! I snagged the Custom version myself with the Burstbucker 1 & 2 humboogies.




                  I wish I did. I really like the Standard.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    These look so good! Gotta try one of these soon!



                    HNGD!
                    <div class="signaturecontainer"><font size="1">Good dealings with ~dcindc x2~alleytrash~ashasha~jjegg~Yavin</font></div>

                    Comment


                    • #11






                      Quote Originally Posted by genesis3
                      View Post

                      ha, I forgot to mention....my Warmoth, which feels 100% perfect for my hands is 1 and 3/4 INCHES and the nut, and even tapers up from there. That's pretty massively wide, which means plenty of room between strings which I like better, so when I say tge Midtown is too narrow, I'm using that as comparison. Many players would probably like it just fine... Plus it doesn't taper as much up the neck, if at all, so it really feels cramped in comparison. I can adjust for it somewhat, but my preference now is the super wides. By comparison, it also is literally nearly effortless to fret and bend notes. The Midtown by comparison is stiff, though I think I can tweak the relief some on the truss rod to improve that...




                      Wow, so interesting how different experiences can result in different perception. For me, the Midtown feels slightly wide with a very slinky feel to it. The taper spec is 1.695 to 2.260 which should be wider neck than a Fender neck pocket would allow. In comparison to my American Standard Strat, the neck is thinner and wider...though not by leaps and bounds. I can fully understand the preference thing though. My main axe is an Epuphone ES-339 which is skinnier by comparison (1.68 at the nut), as such the Midtown feels wider.
                      <div class="signaturecontainer"><b><br><br></b><div align="center"><font color="#0073bc"><font color="#000000"><a href="http://www.reverbnation.com/willchentrio" target="_blank">Will Chen Trio</a> | <a href="http://FrugalGuitarist.com" target="_blank">FrugalGuitarist.com</a> | <a href="http://www.facebook.com/pages/FrugalGuitaristcom/52247336654" target="_blank">FG on Facebook</a> | <a href="http://forum.frugalguitarist.com/" target="_blank">Forum</a><br><br></font></font></div></div>

                      Comment


                      • #12






                        Quote Originally Posted by PunkKitty
                        View Post

                        I wish I did. I really like the Standard.




                        Yeah, in hindsight, I would have LOVED a $999 Custom, but I'll do with the P90 .
                        This used to be a great place. Thanks, GCI, for killing it.<br><br>See y'all at Wein's.

                        Comment


                        • #13






                          Quote Originally Posted by Will Chen
                          View Post

                          Wow, so interesting how different experiences can result in different perception. For me, the Midtown feels slightly wide with a very slinky feel to it. The taper spec is 1.695 to 2.260 which should be wider neck than a Fender neck pocket would allow. In comparison to my American Standard Strat, the neck is thinner and wider...though not by leaps and bounds. I can fully understand the preference thing though. My main axe is an Epuphone ES-339 which is skinnier by comparison (1.68 at the nut), as such the Midtown feels wider.




                          Not to derail, but Will, do you still have all three Midtowns?
                          This used to be a great place. Thanks, GCI, for killing it.<br><br>See y'all at Wein's.

                          Comment


                          • #14






                            Quote Originally Posted by genesis3
                            View Post





                            Just got the Gibson Midtown in cherry sunburst....I like everything about it except the narrow fretboard....great for wanking faux slide but just too narrow I think for my fingers to get around comfortably. The play is a bit on the stiff side too, though that could probably be adjusted out and a new set of D'Addarios too. Beautiful fit and finish (except the bridge P90 which is on the loose side)



                            Here's a couple of rough LZ clips with it, in celebration of the Celebration Day DVD ...



                            https://soundcloud.com/noizeystuff/in-my-time-of-dying



                            https://soundcloud.com/noizeystuff/nobodys-fault




                            The fretboard is the first thing I check before I look at buying any guitar. If the fretboard doesn't fit my hands and fingers, then the guitar doesn't fit me. I just move on.
                            <div class="signaturecontainer">Foul language is the sign of a weak mind trying to express itself forcibly. * Thankfully, my computer program masks all the foul language and changes it to @&amp;%)7#</div>

                            Comment


                            • #15






                              Quote Originally Posted by genesis3
                              View Post





                              Just got the Gibson Midtown in cherry sunburst....I like everything about it except the narrow fretboard....great for wanking faux slide but just too narrow I think for my fingers to get around comfortably. The play is a bit on the stiff side too, though that could probably be adjusted out and a new set of D'Addarios too. Beautiful fit and finish (except the bridge P90 which is on the loose side)



                              Here's a couple of rough LZ clips with it, in celebration of the Celebration Day DVD ...



                              https://soundcloud.com/noizeystuff/in-my-time-of-dying



                              https://soundcloud.com/noizeystuff/nobodys-fault




                              The fretboard is the first thing I check before I look at buying any guitar. If the fretboard doesn't fit my hands and fingers, then the guitar doesn't fit me. I just move on.
                              <div class="signaturecontainer">Foul language is the sign of a weak mind trying to express itself forcibly. * Thankfully, my computer program masks all the foul language and changes it to @&amp;%)7#</div>

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X