I watch too many gear demos.

honeyiscool

• Members

The guys that stare are monitoring your admiration level. They live for someone else's envy.

I thought this thread would be about a problem I've started to have. I watch too many damned gear demos and now I find myself playing in some of the styles from gear demos instead of playing the music I really like.

I hear myself think "I would love to hear what a custom vibrolux reissue sounds like for my style" and then I can only find six videos, all of them playing white blues. Then the day is over and I realize I've heard more hack guitar playing than I've heard good playing that week.

• Members

Hhaahah. I do have that problem a little bit. After spending too much time on the Jensen and Eminence websites, I started getting their demo riffs stuck in my head, and I would find myself playing the speaker demo riffs. It's annoying!

There's that other problem, too, where there's a lot of hack playing because only two people have the gear you're looking for and both of them play in a frustrating fashion, although I actually don't mind that because if an amp (I generally look at amp demos more than guitar demos) makes that still sound pretty good, you know it's good.

• Members

There's nothing worse in a gear demo than the guys who play gently like they're trying not to offend anyone.

All I ever need to know about an amp is what happens when you drive it hard and play aggressively. Short of metal anyway.

• Members

I watch pretty much every PGS demo and I watch a lot of GMD demos... anything else I generally don't watch. Gear demos really don't mean anything unless you have context and consistency, which PGS and to a somewhat lesser extent GMD provide.

With PGS I'm used to how their setup sounds and how that relates to how things soudn through my setup, so if I hear a demo from them I have a good idea of what that means.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by grape

View Post

All I ever need to know about an amp is what happens when you drive it hard and play aggressively. Short of metal anyway.

Is that because that is the tone you always use?

There are a lot of 'us' that use a variety of tones, and appreciate gear demos that cover a variety of them. For me personally, I want to hear what an amp sounds like clean and a little bit overdriven - don't have a use for hi-gain tones.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by twisty571

View Post

You don't like the stares then how about the guitar faces smile.gif

Oh man, this guy sounds sick, though. The gear is just simply insane. And he mics with tube Neumann U47s to top it all off.

Quote Originally Posted by ajympt

View Post

I think sometimes the hack ones are a good counterpoint to the ones done by the 'ringers' that the big companies use. Tells you more about what it sounds like when mere mortals are in the room.

Word. I'd rather hear a couple of G chords and D chords than a blues lick. I mean, almost any decent amp can do that stuff if the guy has enough skill, but only a great amp can really make you take notice at an open chord.

Quote Originally Posted by wagdog

View Post

There are a lot of 'us' that use a variety of tones, and appreciate gear demos that cover a variety of them. For me personally, I want to hear what an amp sounds like clean and a little bit overdriven - don't have a use for hi-gain tones.

Well, I don't mind gentle playing, but I really do like to see the right hand at least making a bit of an attempt at providing SOME grit, you know.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by wagdog

View Post

Not really, actually I like everything from fully clean to pretty dirty. I just like the sound of power amp saturation, and if an amp doesn't sound good at that stage I probably won't want to buy it.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by honeyiscool

View Post

Oh man, this guy sounds sick, though. The gear is just simply insane. And he mics with tube Neumann U47s to top it all off.

In another video he mentions micing with U67's & a U87,I am not a mic guru though...he does sound awesome though and he can play!

Archived