Harmony Central Forums
Announcement Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

New Gibson 2013 models at Sweetwater - whoa!!!

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse

X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Quote Originally Posted by w00dsy
    View Post

i'm digging the gritty look of this one, the price is kinda nice too. Not sure the pickups would be great but a swap is easy enough.

I Love the Gibson 490/498 pickups.

Not sure if i'm liking the EMG looking covers though.
    Mesa Boogie MK III
    Marshall DSL 50
    JCA 20H
    ADA MP-1

Kramer Stagemaster
    Gibson Les Paul Studio Premium Plus
    Gibson Les Paul Vintage Mahogony
    Fender HM Strat
    Paul Reed Smith SE Custom

Comment

Quote Originally Posted by Mesa/Kramer
      View Post

I Love the Gibson 490/498 pickups.

Not sure if i'm liking the EMG looking covers though.

ah i didn't see they were 490/498's. Yeah they are good pickups. It could have almost done with black bridge as well.

Comment

Quote Originally Posted by peskypesky
        View Post

why the pickguard hate by Gibson?

I can't remember seeing a decent pick guard on any Gibson. It shouldn't be hard to do but maybe they just figured it was best to leave it off and same a few bucks on each guitar.
        Foul language is the sign of a weak mind trying to express itself forcibly. * Thankfully, my computer program masks all the foul language and changes it to @&%)7#

Comment

Quote Originally Posted by billythegoat
          View Post

On the retro side, the 2013 Gibson SG Tribute Future starts off with a traditional 24-fret fingerboard

WTF is traditional about a 24 fret fingerboard on an SG?

At least they don't have the stupid giant pickguard Gibsons have had for years. Even the Epis had batwing guards.

Comment

Not impressed.

Cheap Gibson quality.

Henry loves you.
            i have come to the conclusion that he is some form of god. no mere mortal has that many guitars/pedals/amp/anything. "It boggles my mind. His collection is the most glorious and true expression of GAS.To each his own though. Amazing collection of beauties. It takes some seriously messed up OCD to compile a collection like that.I hate BBreaker. Damn, I hate him.Suck it.We learned that bbreaker is some sort of god. A god of whine.fk this guy.

Comment

How are these any different from everything that's been made for the last 50 years? I really must sell my last-years-finish Les Paul and SG so I can have this-years-finish?

Nuts to that.

As for the creosote-finish Lester, just astonishing.
              http://tertl.blogspot.com - The Blog of the Ancient Mariner

Grumpy old man from the Yew Kay.

WTB Emi Ramrod

Dirty 30 AC30 Crew

Good deals with Darxcide, MetalheadUK, Farmer Geddon, Lanefair, Chris006, ChrisB, Zoidberg, Uncle Psychosis, Krashpad, Loobs, stevemcb, Prauny, Benecol, Muttz, axis player, Ratae Coritanorum.

Comment

Quote Originally Posted by Steadfastly
                View Post

I can't remember seeing a decent pick guard on any Gibson. It shouldn't be hard to do but maybe they just figured it was best to leave it off and same a few bucks on each guitar.

What in the world is a "decent pick guard"? If you NEED a pick guard, you haven't learned how to pick, and you should practice. If you don't, then pick guards are cosmetic, and ALWAYS ugly. If the pick guard can be removed, you're in luck. If it can't (because all the electronics are mounted to it), you have a poorly designed guitar and you should burn it immediately.

Comment

Quote Originally Posted by Flintc
                  View Post

What in the world is a "decent pick guard"? If you NEED a pick guard, you haven't learned how to pick, and you should practice. If you don't, then pick guards are cosmetic, and ALWAYS ugly. If the pick guard can be removed, you're in luck. If it can't (because all the electronics are mounted to it), you have a poorly designed guitar and you should burn it immediately.

Ah yes, the "telecasters, stratocasters, les pauls, SGs, ES-335s and all other well known popular electric guitars, as well as D-28s and most known acoustic guitars, are terrible and you're an idiot of you like any of them" argument.
                  disconnected by your smile

Comment

Golpe

Comment

The new SG does away with the stubby neck and baked maple fiasco. 57's are much better than the shouty 490 series, and the small guard looks killer. I'd say that those changes are significant!

Comment

Quote Originally Posted by docjeffrey
                        View Post

The new SG does away with the stubby neck and baked maple fiasco. 57's are much better than the shouty 490 series, and the small guard looks killer. I'd say that those changes are significant!

So these are fixing what's been broke? Fairy snuff.
                        http://tertl.blogspot.com - The Blog of the Ancient Mariner

Grumpy old man from the Yew Kay.

WTB Emi Ramrod

Dirty 30 AC30 Crew

Good deals with Darxcide, MetalheadUK, Farmer Geddon, Lanefair, Chris006, ChrisB, Zoidberg, Uncle Psychosis, Krashpad, Loobs, stevemcb, Prauny, Benecol, Muttz, axis player, Ratae Coritanorum.

Comment

I kind of hate these. SGs without pickguards look ridiculous. Some of these finishes look awful (alpine white burst?) and a lot of the changes appear to be made just for the sake of changing something.

Comment

Quote Originally Posted by Carbohydrates
                            View Post

I kind of hate these. SGs without pickguards look ridiculous.

Yeah. The new SG Standards are certainly nothing to shout about. And at $1,300 they are nothing to make you go "Wow, I'm getting one."

Best move is to buy a blown out SG Standard right now for just $800. We are talking five hundred dollars saving!

$1,300 -- you get '57 pickups with a lousy half pickguard

$800 ---- you get great 490/498 pickups, cool full batwing pickguard, and choice of great finishes (Natural Burst, Vintage Burst, Vintage Cherry)

This one is a no brainer. I went and bought me an SG Standard for just $800 and saved myself FIVE HUNDRED dollars!

Got it two days ago (won't open till Christmas).

Comment

Quote Originally Posted by grape
                              View Post

Ah yes, the "telecasters, stratocasters, les pauls, SGs, ES-335s and all other well known popular electric guitars, as well as D-28s and most known acoustic guitars, are terrible and you're an idiot of you like any of them" argument.

Its pretty persuasive, right? lol
                              The most important part of my religion is to play guitar.
                              Lou Reed

Comment

Quote Originally Posted by Carbohydrates
                                View Post

I kind of hate these. SGs without pickguards look ridiculous. Some of these finishes look awful (alpine white burst?) and a lot of the changes appear to be made just for the sake of changing something.

So buy one with a pick guard and a finish you like. There are plenty of options.

Comment

Working...
                                X