Move Remove Collapse

X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need an inexpensive laptop

I believe my old laptop will soon breathe it's last. Is there anything decent out there for $300-ish? Its gotta run stuff like audacity, rocksmith etc. usual business stuff like Ms office.

I got a Hp mini netbook for work and it is a piece of slow crap.

Is the used market viable?

advice please.

so I see from dealnews and slickdeals that there are under $300 prices but I don't know what sucks or not.

Comment

I dunno if it has enough power for you, but these are new and very tempting for the price...
      Please take a moment to check out my podcast, Two Average Dicks. Thank you.

Comment

Quote Originally Posted by Hand Amputation
        View Post

I dunno if it has enough power for you, but these are new and very tempting for the price...

I just bought one of the $200 Acer C7 Chromebooks as a Christmas gift for my daughter and found references online that 1) it can handle up to 16Gb of RAM and 2) you can set it to dual boot into Chrome or Ubuntu (& possibly Windows as well). I fired it up last night and that little thing is pretty smokin', especially with the Chrome OS.

Hell, if I like how Ubuntu runs on it (or, better yet, can get Windows on it), I might have to buy another one of these for myself.

That being said, JohnnyDD is going to need a Windows machine if he wants to run Rocksmith on it.

Comment

Google just came out with that one that is $250.
          -Luke
          You can trust: Misle, teleman, Teh Bacons, usebigwords, honkytone, uOpt.
          Member of the SG Army

Comment

I like my MS Office. Need something compatible with windows.

Comment

I have an Acer One I bought at Radio Shack on sale for $249. Win7, 1.7 dual core, 4gb ram, nomoptical. Worth it.
              Good deals with - Yarbicus, CBH5150, BozzofAngels, Alvin Wilson, Harris Quinn

Oh, but you can't expect to wield supreme executive power just because some watery tart threw a sword at you.

Comment

Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyDD
                View Post

I like my MS Office. Need something compatible with windows.

Only using online apps, which is a pain IMO.
                One MIA Fender Strat, one Gibson Les Paul, one Martin Acoustic, what more do you need?

http://i1099.photobucket.com/albums/...ps92b32f13.gif

Comment

If you want a good laptop, it's pretty hard to find a good one for less than $500...
                  My Gear:
                  2015 Taylor 214ce Deluxe
                  2008 Fender American Standard Telecaster
                  Takamine acoustic
                  Fender P-Bass

Comment

brands to look are are ASUS, Lenovo or Toshiba . . .
                    an expert on what it feels like to be me
                    & you are who you google
                    http://soundcloud.com/mrnatural-1

Comment

NO...steer clear of Lenovo...I bought one last month, major issues...returned it. Asus, even Acer are okay for the money...then Toshiba, Sony, or HP.
                      My Gear:
                      2015 Taylor 214ce Deluxe
                      Takamine acoustic
                      Fender P-Bass

Comment

If you are lucky enough to live near a Fry's Electronics, you can get one of these babies for peanuts. I played around with one of these Lenovos last week and it is indeed a very decent computer for little money.

http://www.frys.com/ads/computer-tab...ks-accessories

Comment

ASUS. Have had two in a row and the are outstanding.

Comment

Here is the thing...brands? Crapshoot. It all depends on the production run.
                            Good deals with - Yarbicus, CBH5150, BozzofAngels, Alvin Wilson, Harris Quinn

Oh, but you can't expect to wield supreme executive power just because some watery tart threw a sword at you.

Comment

Quote Originally Posted by Reality Check
                              View Post

If you are lucky enough to live near a Fry's Electronics, you can get one of these babies for peanuts. I played around with one of these Lenovos last week and it is indeed a very decent computer for little money.

http://www.frys.com/ads/computer-tab...ks-accessories

Single core processor... I wouldn't go near one of those, especially with Windows 8. If ALL you are doing is word processing and surfing the web, it might be okay. However, try to do anything that requires some memory, or processor speed (videos, streaming music, downloading video, recording, etc.), and you'll have all kinds of issues. I've had two different new PCs with Windows 8 in the last month. While I LOVE Win. 8, I would not buy a computer with less than 8 GB of RAM to run it all smoothly. Plus, do some research on Lenovo product support. My i5 model pooped out within two weeks. Took it back and bought an HP Envy...no issues at all. They lure you in with the cheap pricetag, but those $278 models are nothing more than a big netbook.
                              My Gear:
                              2015 Taylor 214ce Deluxe
                              Takamine acoustic
                              Fender P-Bass

Comment

Working...
                              X