Collapse
No announcement yet.

Hamer Guitars Closes Up Shop

Collapse

X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I've owned 2 USA Hamers over the years, and they were both fantastic. Sad news. I remember talking to our local dealer back in the 80's-90's who had the same experience that SpecialJ refered to - they had trouble moving them, despite the obvious quality, 'cause folks didn't know the name.
    Geezer Brigade Member #350

Comment

Quote Originally Posted by sammyreynolds01
      View Post

I'm surprised they haven't tried to sell the brand. FMIC has alot of debt due coming in 2014.

That would just create a competitor for Charvel. Better to just trim away the dead wood.

Comment

Quote Originally Posted by Yarbicus
        View Post

Let's someone worthy buys the name and start making cool guitars again. Loves me some Hamer.

I was thinking the same...I hope a worthy company will pick up the Hostess brand as well.
        Geezer Brigade Trooper #30
        1st generation Irish

Comment

Quote Originally Posted by Kap'n
          View Post

Shop is still there, they make Guilds and Ovations still.

Hamer had a market in the 70's and 80's, when Gibson was making guitars that were total ****************. Now....uh, what was I saying?

Gibson marketing > Hamer marketing

Marketing was never their strong point. Even when they spent some money on ads, they never really had the brand recognition they needed. They just weren't in the hands of enough name players. They really relied on word of mouth and their dealer network. Not a viable strategy in this day and age. BTW, the Hamer factory is actually a separate facility from where they make the Ovations. Same building, but very different factory floors.

Quote Originally Posted by Kap'n
          View Post

FMIC made a handful of Guild electrics recently, including a few basses, made of leftover parts. My guess is we should get ready for "revitalized" Guild electrics being in production for a couple of years, then discontinued, the relaunch of the "new" Hamer for a couple of years...alternating until they've milked the novelty enough.

I just hope they don't make the same mistakes with the Guild brand. It seems like it would be expensive to keep re-tooling. FMIC has completely overextended themselves and aren't in any position to play with the idea of novelty brands.

Quote Originally Posted by jpnyc
          View Post

That would just create a competitor for Charvel. Better to just trim away the dead wood.

Not sure how high-end Gibson-esque designs would be considered competition for superstrats.

Comment

Quote Originally Posted by Special J
            View Post

Not sure how high-end Gibson-esque designs would be considered competition for superstrats.

Hamer made superstrats. Given the ongoing nostalgia trend in guitar buying it would make sense for a buyer to revive the old Hamer superstrats. And Hamer

Comment

Shame. The usa studio custom I had was probably the most well put-together guitar I've ever owned.
              ORANGE AMPS
              Good Deals

Winner "Best Multi-Amp Rig" 2012 BOTR

Originally Posted by Sex Panther

I never called myself "Love Panther" or "Commitment Panther".

Formerly known as Dolflundgren

Comment

I wonder how long before the Korean Hamer Slammers will be selling for $1000 on e-bay

Comment

That sucks, great quality american made guitar for not a lot of money.
                  MIA Fender Strat / Gibson Les Paul Studio / Custom Telecaster / Washburn WI66 / Custom Stratocaster / Martin D15S / Guild D55 / Simon & Patrick Cedar / Martin HD16R LSH​

Comment

Quote Originally Posted by jpnyc
                    View Post

Hamer made superstrats. Given the ongoing nostalgia trend in guitar buying it would make sense for a buyer to revive the old Hamer superstrats. And Hamer

Comment

Bummer. Fender's kill list gets longer.

Hamer. Never forget.

Tacoma. Never forget.

As part of the Hamer/Kaman deal, Fender also got Ovation...which they semi-killed by moving their entire USA line overseas.

Ovation. Fine, forget.

Haha, but still. :/ Ovation USA had some winners. And it's always sad to hear about brands disappearing, people losing jobs (and of course Fender is saying that none of them are losing their jobs. PR. Give them time.)

I'll stop rolling my eyes at people who tape over the Fender logo on their headstocks.

Comment

Very sad. I love both my Hamers (Studio Custom, Newport Pro) - just another example of how simply making a superior product is not enough to survive in today's guitar market.
                        http://www.reverbnation.com/davidandthetinydaggers
                        http://www.guitarfugue.com/
                        http://www.soundclick.com/bands/page...?bandID=913992
                        http://www.myspace.com/davidandthetinydaggers

member of the G&L Militia

Comment

Quote Originally Posted by DavidMgT
                          View Post

Very sad. I love both my Hamers (Studio Custom, Newport Pro) - just another example of how simply making a superior product is not enough to survive in today's guitar market.

Or an example of giant corporations buying out competitors to squash the competition.

Comment

Another example of the very competitive guitar market. It's not a lot different than many other markets.
                            Foul language is the sign of a weak mind trying to express itself forcibly. * Thankfully, my computer program masks all the foul language and changes it to @&%)7#

Comment

on the plus side nice Guilds!

and hopefully electrics
                              Naked is just a "True bypass" for clothes...

Comment

Quote Originally Posted by tommyld
                                View Post

Or an example of giant corporations buying out competitors to squash the competition.

But, if Hamer had been doing well they wouldnt have been bought by Fender. Apparently they werent representing much of a threat or Fender would have kept it going and enjoyed the spoils.
                                LIVESTRONGwww.bandmix.com/kevman/Hey what happened? I had 5000+ posts here.

Comment

Working...
                                X