Move Remove Collapse

X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hamer Guitars Closes Up Shop

It's official. FMIC has closed down Hamer Guitars. They are fulfilling any open custom orders and that's it. When Fender bought Kaman Music, they stopped making production guitars, but kept accepting custom orders while the fine craftsmen at Hamer started production on the Guild acoustics in the New Hartford factory. I haven't heard whether they'll keep making the imports, not that I really care.

While it's not totally unexpected, it's still a bummer. Hamer guitars have been my #1's on and off for 18 years. I've owned a bunch of great ones, and have enjoyed a market full of under-priced used Hamer USA's. I imagine that will end and their values will finally go up like they never did while in business. I was a dealer for the brand too for a while, and worked with some customers on getting custom order guitars made. Despite the quality, it was not an easy brand to sell due to little market recognition.

There may be a silver lining to the cloud. The guys up in New Hartford are keeping their jobs and I've heard a rumor that Fender is tooling up the factory to start making Guild electrics again. We'll see. I just hope Fender doesn't screw it up.

MFPOMFS
    "Scalloped & Stickered"
    A Colled One & A Rold One!
    Proud DOA Member
    PpP
    Epi,Hamer,Squier,70's Hdstk Thingies,both MB/M's

Comment

Quote Originally Posted by Rand-O-Monium
      View Post

MFPOMFS

0.O

Comment

Let's someone worthy buys the name and start making cool guitars again. Loves me some Hamer.
        Originally Posted by buddhapaugh

Rocking the spandex AND the depends!

Comment

Shop is still there, they make Guilds and Ovations still.

Hamer had a market in the 70's and 80's, when Gibson was making guitars that were total ****************. Now....uh, what was I saying?

Gibson marketing > Hamer marketing

Comment

Quote Originally Posted by Special J
            View Post

There may be a silver lining to the cloud. The guys up in New Hartford are keeping their jobs and I've heard a rumor that Fender is tooling up the factory to start making Guild electrics again. We'll see. I just hope Fender doesn't screw it up.

FMIC made a handful of Guild electrics recently, including a few basses, made of leftover parts. My guess is we should get ready for "revitalized" Guild electrics being in production for a couple of years, then discontinued, the relaunch of the "new" Hamer for a couple of years...alternating until they've milked the novelty enough.

Comment

Quote Originally Posted by Kap'n
              View Post

FMIC made a handful of Guild electrics recently, including a few basses, made of leftover parts. My guess is we should get ready for "revitalized" Guild electrics being in production for a couple of years, then discontinued, the relaunch of the "new" Hamer for a couple of years...alternating until they've milked the novelty enough.

Or, certain Guild and Hamer models get relaunched with the Dearmond logo.

Comment

Quote Originally Posted by Reality Check
                View Post

Or, certain Guild and Hamer models get relaunched with the Dearmond logo.

FMIC already sells Asian-made Guild acoustics with the GAD series. There was an interesting Q&A about that at the Let's Meet Guild event this year.

Comment

I'm surprised they haven't tried to sell the brand. FMIC has alot of debt due coming in 2014.

Comment

Originally Posted by csm

The first, and most frequently violated rule of punk is: THERE ARE NO RULES.

"You know, once you've had that guitar up so loud on the stage, where you can lean back and volume will stop you from falling backward, that's a hard drug to kick." — David Gilmour

Fender :: Gibson :: Epiphone :: Ibanez :: Yamaha
                    Blackstar :: Orange :: Vox

Comment

That struck me as "that's a shame"

I've never had the pleasure of owning, or even playing one. I remember seeing one at a store a couple decades ago and the owner was telling me "better than Gibson". But despite my voracious GAS appetite, one never crossed my path again. I'd harbored a small ambition that maybe one day a deal on a good quality used one might cross my path, but that never happened and I never gained much knowledge of them other than their reputation. Bummer.
                      A '57 Classic, MIJ from USA parts.
                      HCEG Existentialism: I buy guitars, therefore, I am.
                      Well Dick, it's got a good beat, and I could dance to it, so I give it a 10!
                      I have opinions of my own,strong opinions but I don't always agree with them.

Comment

I don't know why that strikes me as sad. I've never supported their operation other than by word of mouth and the folks that I've let play my old Chicago era Hamers (purchased used). I've played some pretty special guitars but I've never played better than those two Hamers (93 HB Special and 97 Mirage II). It just seemed like for those fellas (Hamer and Dantzig) it was more like a religion, but that kind of dedication and devotion probably ended a long time ago.
                        My 9/11 Tribute Song: https://vimeo.com/49284582

The 9/11 Wall of Shame (caught stepping in it):
                        http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T3s4_dkKn8Y
                        http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x6Xoxaf1Al0
                        http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-jPzAakHPpk
                        http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4n7uJ...feature=relmfu
                        https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QU961SGps8g

Comment

RIP, Hamer.

Damn, that sucks. I have two and they're both amazing instruments. Someone really screwed up with the marketing on those guitars; they were as good as anything coming out of Gibson or PRS and should have been just as big as either of those two brands.

My Hamers.

Originally Posted by Warren Buffett

“There’s class warfare, all right, but it’s my class, the rich class, that’s making war, and we’re winning.”

Member of the Hamer Squad

Founder of the Danelectro Horde

Third Cousin of The Orange-y Family

Good dealings with: GreatDane, Norcal_GIT_r (x2), solly, puckman, rydia is hot, 98 les paul, JerEvil

MY GUITARS

Comment

SPAM:

Custom Wired Strat Pickguard Assemblies - PM me to discuss specs & pricing

Good Trades: PunkKitty, mfergel, Norcal_GIT_r, Chuck1016, Elias Graves, hrcnsfan, ugameus, RosePickups, jelloman, Hookandcanman, Danocoustic

Comment

Hmmm. Hamer is one of the last guitar brands of which I don't have a specimen but want one. Bummer.
                              “Conservatives aren't necessarily stupid, but most stupid people are conservatives” John Stuart Mill.

Comment

Working...
                              X