No luck buying guitars online..

stratmansblues

• Members

I have been buying/selling/trading guitars for years and I currently do not own an electric other than my first beater guitar. I have grown super picky about details with guitars with each guitar I have had my hands on. These days I go to brick and mortar stores and I'm usually disappointed with the selection. Wondering if I'll find a guitar again that I can hold onto. I find I spend more time looking for guitars than playing them. I have had cheap, medium priced, and boutique guitars from many builders. I know I'm not the only one on the forum that finds buying guitars online difficult. Because so many people are buying online to save on tax and get better deals, the brick and mortar stores aren't stocking as much. When I look on the used market I usually find high priced stuff unless you're looking at boutique. I have tried to build a few guitars with parts in the past and they didn't come out right.

• Members

I prefer not to buy online as well but the ONE time I did on a whim I lucked out BIG time... I ordered an American Special Tele and after a little setup to suit my playing I couldn't be happier, neck is the right shape and size the action was able to get low enough without buzzing or fretting out and the tone is awesome.... I would never spend any BIG money on a guitar online that's for sure... especially being in the Caribbean where returning stuff to the US is not as simple as calling USPS

• Members

If it's something like an Agile (which I do own several of), you don't have much choice and so far I've had good luck. But if looking for something pretty popular like a Fender Strat or even the EVH Wolfgang, I would shop online to find the cheapest price, then start calling around to see who had them and if they'd match the price. You'll always find someone that will or will come VERY close. I have driven a couple hours one way to look at a guitar before buying it.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by Randy G

View Post

All I know is there have been plenty of great albums made and great players produced with the guitars you reject. ANd more will be made while you continue to be finicky. Problem doesn't seem to be the guitars. so what's left that might be the problem...?

no doubt... but at the same time I don't like paying money for a big unknown, I'd rather play one in a store and get the feel for it because what's perfect for me may not be perfect for someone else...

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by Marc G

View Post

no doubt... but at the same time I don't like paying money for a big unknown, I'd rather play one in a store and get the feel for it because what's perfect for me may not be perfect for someone else...

So you keep buying guitars from stores, and some of us will keep buying guitars online. What's the issue?

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by Grantus View Post
So you keep buying guitars from stores, and some of us will keep buying guitars online. What's the issue?
no issue... I'm just giving my opinion, it happens to be different than yours and that's because its different strokes for different folks mannnnnn.... thumb.gif

But.. I would agree with you should I be in a situation where I could spare the cash and know that flipping or returning the gear would be as easy as buying it I would have a totally different view on things....

Archived