Cheap Ass Strings on Best Buy

honeyiscool

• Members

Of course, last time I made one of these posts, a lot of people started bitching and moaning and whining because a few people jumped on it first and they missed out and they were jealous, so don't miss this one. And if you do, please keep the whining to yourself.

Free shipping!

D'Addario 9's: http://www.bestbuy.com/site/D%27Adda...exl&cp=1&lp=12

D'Addario 10's: http://www.bestbuy.com/site/D%27Adda...=1218108416268

(Of course, I have no need for these since I still have Boomers from last time. ^_^)

• Members

XLs are fine strings. However, if I do use XLs, I use the balanced packs, which generally have more consistent string-to-string tension. The standard XL sets have the B string too loose for my tastes. So like I prefer EXL111 instead of EXL110. However, then the problem is that they don't offer the balanced sets for half gauges.

But more importantly, I stopped using XLs because GHS strings are far bendier w/ less tension at the same gauges. That means I could use GHS 10s and have the same bending ability as D'Addario 9.5s. This is especially useful if you play Fender offsets which just like thicker strings in general. GHS Boomers also don't start out as bright, and they stay more consistent in tone as they age. They also don't stretch as much since they seem to be better stretched from the factory. Also, Boomers have better balance and they come in all the half gauge sizes I want. So that's why I switched to GHS Boomers.

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by brandass View Post
10s sold out, 9s still up at $16.99/10-pk.

Nice deal, thanks for posting!

BTW, what's not to like about D'addario XLs? I've used them exclusively, so I'm a total newb when it comes to string comparisons. Maybe I should test the waters a bit?
That is a sweet price.

I just ordered 9s and 10s. Didn't see anything about being sold out.

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by brandass View Post

BTW, what's not to like about D'addario XLs? I've used them exclusively, so I'm a total newb when it comes to string comparisons. Maybe I should test the waters a bit?
I was like you for over a decade. I just figured if so many people played them they were probably fine. Then I tried a few other brands and finally settled on the Fender Pure Nickel bullet ended strings. They bite my fingertips less and don't corrode as fast, feel smoother, and the ends don't get stuck in the trem block. The wound strings are a little mellower, which I like but others might consider dull. Long story short strings are different brand to brand.

Archived