Pleasant surprises

Lonnie99

• Members

So I'm at Sam Ash today buying shipping boxes when I run across one of those cheapo Starcasters. Silverburst with rosewood fretboard one. I'd never even as much as held one before, but when I grabbed it off the wall I immediately liked the feel of the neck, felt just like the Fender Classic 60s strats I've owned. Really full and thick. No sharp frets, I'm liking it. Plugged it in just to make sure the electronics worked, paid the man $60 and out the door I went. Got it home and did a quickie setup and I honestly feel this thing is as good as a MIM standard Strat, of which I've owned at least a hundred. It even has decent sealed tuners. I figured I'd swap out the pickups down the road but through my amp at home I really really like them. They're hot but not harsh at all, just loud.

400f7f2bf8360e9731e022d1dae4e19c.jpg

• Members

A lot of people bad rap them, which I never understood. For the price (and $60 even better), I thought the played and sounded pretty damn good. Those necks were all over eBay at one time and were a real bargain for Partscaster builders. One of my favorite guitars of all time (which I stupidly sold) was a maple neck, butterscotch Affinity Squier Strat which was only one notch up the food chain.

Archived