Lifted wrap-around bridge concerns!!

KevinTJH

• Members

I've got a Gibson Les Paul Studio which had beyond horrible intonation.

I took it to my local tech to get it professionally setup. He said he adjusted the bridge as far as possible.

Now intonation is fine, but the bridge seems to be lifted quite abit and I'm really paranoid about the bridge just snapping and flying off straight at my face. Should this be a concern?

101220121746.jpg
101220121747.jpg

Thanks in advance!

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by mrbrown49 View Post
It doesn't look like the posts are pulling out. As long as it's not shifting around while you are playing, and I'd be surprised if it were, it's fine.
I believe he's talking about how far back it is sitting on the posts.

As to the question, I wouldn't worry about it unless the bridge doesn't feel secure at all when changing strings. How does it feel on the posts then?

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by Deadbeat Son View Post
I believe he's talking about how far back it is sitting on the posts.

As to the question, I wouldn't worry about it unless the bridge doesn't feel secure at all when changing strings. How does it feel on the posts then?
I realize that. Not an issue IMO as long as it's stable.

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by fretless View Post
should be fine and if it did pop off I doubt it would hurt anyone . What model is that , can we get some pics from top down .
It's one of the new Juniors with the obeche freboard.
http://www2.gibson.com/Products/Elec...s-Paul-Jr.aspx

Well maybe I'm a little more concerned about the guitar being hurt. In the event that it did pop out, I'd imagine it would cause a good amount of damage to the guitar.

When i put pressure on the bridge while a note is played, I don't hear any changes in pitch (I'm assuming the bridge isn't moving).
I just thought it looked a little odd when comparing it to my other guitar (tune-o-matic).
101220121754.jpg

But I guess if it's nothing to worry about, I should forget about it. Thanks guys!

Also, you might notice pink shavings all over my blue Les Paul. Those darn DR Neon strings aren't as durable as they should be!

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by KevinTJH View Post
I'm really paranoid about the bridge just snapping and flying off straight at my face. Should this be a concern?
Strings are not like rubber-band's so it's not going to fly and hit you in the face. smile.gif

Unless the studs have been rigged with thermite your fine.

• Members

thanks for the responses, guys.

Quote Originally Posted by Ratae Coritanorum View Post
TP-3691-010-web.jpg&maxx=320&maxy=250
Do these fit 100% perfectly or will I have to make some adjustments?
I might consider at some point when I bother wink.gif

I seldom play my Les Paul to be honest so it doesn't bother me too much. My initial concern was coming back to that guitar after a couple of months, and finding it totally unplayable.

Quote Originally Posted by Ancient Mariner View Post
It's not ideal, but should be fine.
What do you mean "not ideal"? Would it lead to any long term problems?

• Members

I don't think you're in danger of having it pop out...the bridge is in there more than half the way, and there's a lot of string pressure there.

But if you want your bridge to be completely clamped down straight (which I would do), I think Tone Pros sell locking ones that screw tight to the bridge and make it sit flat.

• Moderators
Quote Originally Posted by mschafft View Post
Doesn't Tonepros sell posts with adjustable height that would fit the bridge better...?

BTW please show us the whole guitar.
Tonepros does sell a post with a screw down top, but it's meant to pinch yp the tailpiece so it doesn't fall off, it's not engineered to actually torque up and hold a tailpiece down flat, I'd hesitate to go down this route

• Members
It's one of the new Juniors with the obeche freboard.
http://www2.gibson.com/Products/Elec...s-Paul-Jr.aspx

Well maybe I'm a little more concerned about the guitar being hurt. In the event that it did pop out, I'd imagine it would cause a good amount of damage to the guitar.

When i put pressure on the bridge while a note is played, I don't hear any changes in pitch (I'm assuming the bridge isn't moving).
I just thought it looked a little odd when comparing it to my other guitar (tune-o-matic).
101220121754.jpg

But I guess if it's nothing to worry about, I should forget about it. Thanks guys!

Also, you might notice pink shavings all over my blue Les Paul. Those darn DR Neon strings aren't as durable as they should be!
IMO coated strings are crap , get some "normal" strings on there , like R Cocco or S.I.T. or whatever , coated strings also mask the highend so it will be like lifting a blanket off that toan machine . Your LP tail does not sit as far back because it's not using screws to adjust the intonation like the wrap tail is , you have bridge tilt perhaps because that it is adjusted futher back makes it tilt more . IME Tonepros locking studs or Faber locking posts will fix and secure it . I have both on my guitars . The Tonepros studs are a quick and easy fix for that .

Lpaw7.jpg
Tonepros studs on a mojoaxe wraptail bridge

Faberlocked.jpg

FaberHeight.jpg
Faber studs w/ Faber wraptail bridge

• Members
Faberlocked.jpg
Pardon me for saying this, but wouldn't that be identical to what I have on the LP? I thought these had adjustments for individual strings or something.

Even if I had this installed, wouldn't I still have to push the bridge as far back as it is now and wind up with the same tilt?

By the way, I really like how you're a fan of single pickup guitars. I think they just look awesome!

Quote Originally Posted by Into Nation View Post
I'm kind of wondering why a new guitar has to have the bridge back to far in order to intonate. idn_smilie.gif Something seems amiss.
Sigh...Gibson, what have you done this time...

• Members
Pardon me for saying this, but wouldn't that be identical to what I have on the LP? I thought these had adjustments for individual strings or something.

Even if I had this installed, wouldn't I still have to push the bridge as far back as it is now and wind up with the same tilt?

By the way, I really like how you're a fan of single pickup guitars. I think they just look awesome!

Sigh...Gibson, what have you done this time...
ok lets address your Les Paul with the bridge and the stop tail ( TOM) , the stop tail is just that , it's not like the wrap around bridge that can be intonated so no it's not like it , but it is like your guitar in the OP (Jr.), being a wrap around bridge . Perhaps it would need to be further back but it would still lock down . Actually without having my hands on it I suspect your setup guy and not so much Gibson icon_lol.giftongue.gifcop.gif but you can check it , measure from the nut to the 12th fret , then measure from the 12'th to the bridge at the break point of the string . Should be the same , or you should be able to adjust to that point . If Gibby is to blame either the nut is waay out of wack or the bridge post holes are in the wrong spot . I doubt it .
<_>>_>

Thanks man me too , though that red one is a Heritage 137 and has 2 x pups , a P90 in the neck and a Custom SD 'bucker in the bridge Totally_jammin_out.gif

• Members
... Actually without having my hands on it I suspect your setup guy and not so much Gibson icon_lol.giftongue.gifcop.gif but you can check it , measure from the nut to the 12th fret , then measure from the 12'th to the bridge at the break point of the string . Should be the same , or you should be able to adjust to that point . If Gibby is to blame either the nut is waay out of wack or the bridge post holes are in the wrong spot . I doubt it .
<_>>_>

Thanks man me too , though that red one is a Heritage 137 and has 2 x pups , a P90 in the neck and a Custom SD 'bucker in the bridge Totally_jammin_out.gif

NO! DO NOT set your intonation by numbers, set it by the 12th fret tuning. Three string type and mass affect where the saddles need to be to intonate, and if you do it by measuring, I guarantee it will be off!

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by dabbler

View Post

NO! DO NOT set your intonation by numbers, set it by the 12th fret tuning. Three string type and mass affect where the saddles need to be to intonate, and if you do it by measuring, I guarantee it will be off!

it is more complicated then what I suggested but my suggestion was for a quick check, however #'s do matter as it's broken down by scale theoretical *24.625"

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by Into Nation View Post
Did the OP get this resolved? Kind of curious.
Not sure...I actually started this thread with the idea of getting a "Yes/No" answer, because I flew overseas the day after I started the thread so I won't be seeing my Les Paul for the next 2 weeks or so.

The only thing I can do now is to take note of all the advice given here.

If Gibby is to blame either the nut is waay out of wack or the bridge post holes are in the wrong spot . I doubt it .
Aren't LP Juniors notorious for intonation problems? I was prepared to accept that mine would be no exception. In fact my first choice was actually the Billy Joe Signature version with a completely non adjustable bridge (in which I would've imagined to be much worse).

As far as I can remember, the notes on the first fret are pretty close to being spot on except for the G-string which is a tiny bit sharp. Overall it's decent enough that I wouldn't notice without playing through a tuner.

Archived