Are VOX AC 30 C2 Speakers wired in series?

wanderoo222

• Members

MF website states it contains 2 8 ohm greenbacks with an external switchable 8 or 16 ohm cabinet jack that mutes the internal speakers. It also a has a 16 ohm cabinet jack that allows u to run a cabinet and the internal speakers at the same time.

OK. I have a cabinet with a 16 ohm 12" Celestion Blue 15watt and a 16 ohm 12" celestion 12H 30 watt anniversary vintage. How or can I use this cab or Speakers with the AC30C2 with the internal 8 ohm speakers together? Thanks

• Members

In the combo? Yeah, it is. Otherwise, the two speakers would be 4 ohm total. As it is, they are wired in series to create a 16 ohm load.

Since your cab is 8 ohm load (2x16 ohm parallel), you won't be able to run it together with the internal speakers. HOWEVER, you can run it as an external cab in 8 ohm mode, muting the internal speakers. Or... you can disconnect one of the speakers in your cab and then it'll be a 16 ohm cab. At that point, you can run it as an extension cab in 8 ohm mode, which will use both the internal speakers and one of your external speakers. If you do it that way, you should probably use just the Celestion Blue.

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by PrawnHeed View Post
Running an 8 ohm cab (so your 2 speakers in parallel) in parallel with the internal speakers will do no harm at all.

Whether it sounds any good is another question.
Umm... that's not wise. Running an 8 ohm cab in parallel with the internal speakers (which are wired for a 16 ohm load) will create a smaller than 8 ohm load... that is not recommended at all.

(although the amp can probably handle it)

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by honeyiscool View Post
Umm... that's not wise. Running an 8 ohm cab in parallel with the internal speakers (which are wired for a 16 ohm load) will create a smaller than 8 ohm load... that is not recommended at all.

It will definitely handle it. It is designed to handle 8 and will get 5 and a bit.

The impedance of speakers is a pretty arbitrary number anyway as it is very much frequency dependent and the transient impedance of any speaker varies very widely (between negative numbers and positive numbers). No modern amp would have a problem with that mismatch.

The problem is that the sensitivity of the speakers varies so the volume coming from each driver will differ giving a somewhat unpredictable tone that will vary greatly depending on where you are standing.

• Members

Probably not a good idea to run as an 8 ohm cab. But using the blue alone as a 16ohm cab sounds like a winner. Does Vox make a AC 30 Head only?

• Members

The handwired version is available as a head:

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/ampli...uitar-amp-head

And 16 ohm 2x12" speaker cabinet:

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/ampli...peaker-cabinet

However, if you don't like fawn, here's a great option:

http://www.voxshowroom.com/northcoas...epro_ac30.html

I think the option with the two Celestion Blues for $899 is a great deal. These should be the same size as your AC30 and it would make a fantastic looking Vox stack on stage. The only thing is you have to make sure to get a speaker cable with it since it uses the vintage Vox XLR connection.

• Members

Also remembered I have a 16 ohm geenback around here somewhere. I could swap out the 8 ohm greenbacks for the 18 ohm blue and greenback plugged into the 8/16 ohm switchable jack which disconnects the internal wiring for the 8 ohm greenbacks. Of course I could just use the 8 ohm cab with the blue/greenback and/or 12h annv vintage. I was also thinking I could redo the cab in Vox tolex and grill cloth. I'm crazy that way. Here is a pic of a tweed peavey classic 30 ext cab I made'

• Members
The handwired version is available as a head:

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/ampli...uitar-amp-head

And 16 ohm 2x12" speaker cabinet:

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/ampli...peaker-cabinet

However, if you don't like fawn, here's a great option:

http://www.voxshowroom.com/northcoas...epro_ac30.html

I think the option with the two Celestion Blues for $899 is a great deal. These should be the same size as your AC30 and it would make a fantastic looking Vox stack on stage. The only thing is you have to make sure to get a speaker cable with it since it uses the vintage Vox XLR connection.

That Northcoast cab looks great.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by wanderoo222

View Post

Also remembered I have a 16 ohm geenback around here somewhere. I could swap out the 8 ohm greenbacks for the 18 ohm blue and greenback plugged into the 8/16 ohm switchable jack which disconnects the internal wiring for the 8 ohm greenbacks. Of course I could just use the 8 ohm cab with the blue/greenback and/or 12h annv vintage. I was also thinking I could redo the cab in Vox tolex and grill cloth. I'm crazy that way. Here is a pic of a tweed peavey classic 30 ext cab I made'

Celestion Blue and Greenbacks will have considerable volume discrepancies between the two due to seriously different sensitivities of the speakers.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by Deadbeat Son

View Post

Celestion Blue and Greenbacks will have considerable volume discrepancies between the two due to seriously different sensitivities of the speakers.

The greenback is rated at 98db and the celestion Blue at 100db. . Is there that much of a difference?

Archived