cheap acoustics?

stewiesguitar

• Members

"Cheap" is somewhat vague...maybe if we knew your price point? You can pick up an Epiphone or a Yamaha from Guitar Center or Best Buy for around $100...both brands are pretty decent. Avoid Rogue and Carlo Robelli(sp?)...

However, if your idea of cheap goes up to $500, there are literally scores of options...

edit: and thanks for your service thumb.gif

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by stewiesguitar

View Post

are there any really cheap acoustics that feel good and sounds decent? right now i play with a Takamine G series and i absolutely love it. but in a few months im deploying and want to take a beater with me.

Good luck, man and thanks for your service. My son just got back safe and sound last Saturday night. What a great Christmas present for our family. He took his older Yamaha FG260 with him and it worked out great. The Yamaha FG series really sound much better than their price point and are very resistant to changing temperature and humidity. The heat, dryness, cold nights and sand are tough on a solid wood guitar. The laminates hold up much better and the Yammies sound great for what they are. If you look on Craigslist you can find them under $100 once in a while.

Stay safe.

• Members

I played a chinese acoustic at a music store that I take guitars to for setups. I think it was $99 and played great and sounded very good. If I needed an acoustic, I'd have had no problem picking one up. So there are good acoustics for cheap out there but I HIGHLY recommend playing them first.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by mschafft

View Post

I bought a Sigma guitar, which is a Martin copy. It sounds nothing like a Martin but it is a really nice sounding guitar.

ACTUALLY, the M next to the SIGMA name is for Martin. Martin sold acoustics and electrics under the SIGMA brand for some time. BTW, the electrics had decent hardware and a good finish over nasty plywood. Mine is an SG copy.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by Meowy

View Post

Not sure what "really cheap" means but,

Yamaha FG700S $199 with $25 cashback at MF

http://www.amazon.com/Yamaha-FG700S-...rds=yamaha+700

I've got one of those as my beach/campfire guitar. If you can find one on sale (I paid a buck and a quarter) it can be an outstanding value. You've got to play a few of them - there's not a lot of man-hours put into setting up a $200 guitar, but some of them can really be pretty nice.

• Members

The cheapest of the cheap nowadays can be made to play well if you know how.

Unlike back in the day, they pretty much get the frets in the right place on all of em.

Playing well is all about the nut, saddle, fretwork, and truss rod adjustment.

Sometimes you get lucky and find one off the line that's set up pretty darn good.

But I second the all laminate Yamaha, more likely to remain in one piece.

Oh, and thank you! Be careful over there.

• Members

Normally I would recommend one of the all wood top Yamaha's such as the FG700S mentioned above (they have laminate sides and backs which suits your needs perfectly I think; see below), because Yamaha makes the best guitar at that price. However, the "S" designation means it has a solid spruce top, and I'm not sure how it would handle the extreme temperature variations I read about in Afghanistan (assuming that's where you're going).

I think perhaps a laminate top would be tougher, so that would mean the Yamaha FG700, or similar model, which is a bit cheaper. None of them sound like Martins or a good Gibson, but Yamaha has the best quality and quality control of the bunch, and they build them like tanks. I still have my Yamaha I bought new in 1970 and not a problem with it. I've never heard anyone say anything bad about a Yamaha. I don't think any of the other guitars mentioned would survive your deployment.

For example, the Seagulls et al are nicer guitars, but a lot more fragile. Depends on your needs.

Please stay safe wherever you are deploying to.

• Members

I would agree that Seagulls are a lot more fragile, but, the lack of glue/laquer/wahtever on them makes them sound great. I now have 2 Rainsongs that are what I play out because they are bullet proof, but they were a lot more cash.

I have said this before, but I think you have to honestly try to by a {censored}ty guitar these days. What you can get new for $150 is what cost $400 when I was a kid. OMG....I sound like a geezer. {censored} me! I want waffles!

Archived