Collapse
No announcement yet.

cheap acoustics?

Collapse

X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Fenders in the $200-350 range are actually pretty nice...
    My Gear:
    2015 Taylor 214ce Deluxe
    2008 Fender American Standard Telecaster
    Epiphone Les Paul Standard Pro
    2006 Fender American 60th Anniv. P-Bass
    Takamine acoustic

Comment

Another vote for Yamahas. Also consider Parkwoods, although they seem harder to come by in my neck of the woods.
      I don't play a lot of fancy guitar. I don't want to play it. The kind of guitar I want to play is mean, mean licks.
      ~ John Lee Hooker

Comment

Normally I would recommend one of the all wood top Yamaha's such as the FG700S mentioned above (they have laminate sides and backs which suits your needs perfectly I think; see below), because Yamaha makes the best guitar at that price. However, the "S" designation means it has a solid spruce top, and I'm not sure how it would handle the extreme temperature variations I read about in Afghanistan (assuming that's where you're going).

I think perhaps a laminate top would be tougher, so that would mean the Yamaha FG700, or similar model, which is a bit cheaper. None of them sound like Martins or a good Gibson, but Yamaha has the best quality and quality control of the bunch, and they build them like tanks. I still have my Yamaha I bought new in 1970 and not a problem with it. I've never heard anyone say anything bad about a Yamaha. I don't think any of the other guitars mentioned would survive your deployment.

For example, the Seagulls et al are nicer guitars, but a lot more fragile. Depends on your needs.

Please stay safe wherever you are deploying to.

Comment

I would agree that Seagulls are a lot more fragile, but, the lack of glue/laquer/wahtever on them makes them sound great. I now have 2 Rainsongs that are what I play out because they are bullet proof, but they were a lot more cash.

I have said this before, but I think you have to honestly try to by a ****************ty guitar these days. What you can get new for $150 is what cost $400 when I was a kid. OMG....I sound like a geezer. **************** me! I want waffles!
          Good deals with - Yarbicus, CBH5150, BozzofAngels, Alvin Wilson, Harris Quinn

Oh, but you can't expect to wield supreme executive power just because some watery tart threw a sword at you.

Comment

Try a brand called Great Divide. Very well made and you can get them cheap.
            Harold Horatio Heckuba (Triple H)

Comment

the cheaper guild line is pretty sweet. if you like smaller 00 sized bodies, the m-120 is a ridiculous guitar for the money. like $500 and they come with a hardshell case
              rockin' for life

Originally Posted by GAS Man

Thrash the establishment, strip it down, and let it rip.

Originally Posted by Deadbeat Son

There's no "just a" allowed here. There's no reason to denigrate a great guitar that does the trick for you just because it's less expensive than someone else's.

Good Trades with: boonestunes, smithshred

Nox P

Comment

Cort/thread
                GUITARS:
                Fender MIM Standard Strat
                Hand Made SG Replica
                Epiphone DOT Studio
                Westbury Standard
                Cort X-5
                New Dawn Signature Prototype
                Frankentele "The Buddy Caster"