Why Is It So Hard to Find a Bass Player?

kayd_mon

• Members

Our band has no egos or drama. We're nice people, and we play honest music. Our last bassist moved, so we are searching, but it's been really tough. The few guys we've had contact with have been total flakes - one guy canceled on us on two different occasions, and both times we were on our way to the rehearsal spot. Needless to say, we gave up on auditioning that guy. Somehow, I don't think it should be this hard. We've been looking for two months now. If I believed in signs, I'd take this as the fates want us to give up the whole thing.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Quote Originally Posted by poolshark

View Post

If you're using craigslist, that could easily be your problem. I find I do better recruiting in person - around here, that means going to open mics.

We've used bandmix and craigslist. Dead ends, really. I thought about going to some open mics, since that's probably where all the local musicians are going to be.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by poolshark

View Post

If you're using craigslist, that could easily be your problem. I find I do better recruiting in person - around here, that means going to open mics.

That's good advice...also, maybe look for a guitarist who's open to playing bass? I was told once a long time ago: learn to play bass and you'll never be unemployed in the music biz...dedicated bassists are hard to come by...

• Members

The really good and imaginative ones end up writing their own music and switching instruments, that's probably why.

So the ones who are left are the ones that really love the bass as its own art form (these are the guys making gear demos on youtube where all they do is slap) and the bad ones. The few good ones are already in decent bands.

But then again, you can say this about any instrument.

• Members

I have had this problem. From my experience a lot of people who claim they can play the bass are just posers who want to be in a band because they think it's cool. To find an actual dedicated bass player (not as a 2nd instrument) is pretty rare. Best compromise is finding a guitarist who doesn't mind (or even enjoys) playing bass. I actually love playing bass.

Keep trying, you'll find someone.

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by AVisme View Post
Fate wants you to take up the bass. icon_lol.gif
Quote Originally Posted by Help!I'maRock! View Post
buy a bass. now you're a bass player.

time to go find a guitarist. they're everywhere.
While I realize that guitarists outnumber bassists, and while I do have a bass and can play it well, I'm not open to this. Mostly because playing bass and singing is harder for me than playing guitar and singing.

• Members

I guess it's because there's less glamour in playing bass as compared to guitars and drums? At least that's what my peers kept telling me when I was growing up.

At any rate, there's no harm in taking the bass seriously yourself. I did it when my bassist went MIA and as we couldn't find another guy on short notice, I decided to do it myself. It opened up a whole new appreciation an understanding of the instrument, and I play it almost as much as my guitar nowadays. I'm still nowhere near decent enough, but I try every day to be.

• Members

You might as well try playing bass while singing. It's pretty natural for me (piano training means I always have multiple parts running in my head at once), and I'm not exactly good at bass or singing. It just takes practice. The fact is, bass is a less glamorous instrument. So if you want someone talented to do it right, do it yourself. You have a mic, you don't need extra glamor.

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by jpnyc View Post
Because too many singers and guitarists want the bass player to just stand in the back and pump out quarter notes. So bass players switch to guitar by the time they turn 18.

Quote Originally Posted by StevenJM View Post
you never mentioned where you're located.

I started playing bass. I've been just as hooked on bass as i was on guitar.
me too. I changed because its a lonely life playing bass to yourself when the band's not performing or practicing.

Also hard to do when the neighbours a mile away can hear what you play.

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by honeyiscool View Post
You might as well try playing bass while singing. It's pretty natural for me (piano training means I always have multiple parts running in my head at once), and I'm not exactly good at bass or singing. It just takes practice. The fact is, bass is a less glamorous instrument. So if you want someone talented to do it right, do it yourself. You have a mic, you don't need extra glamor.
Actually, I'd have to disagree to an extent. I play bass for one band, and while I'm not a particularly skilled bass player, I still get a pretty fair share of the attention. I get to play simple, fun parts that allow me the freedom to get drunk, goof around and generally rock out. I get to be the fun guy on stage, and people seem to respond to that. I think audiences prefer a showman over weedly wee solos and cool guy posturing.

... but I still play guitar in my own band. =)

Archived