more about pickups: my Rickenbacker 330

Collapse

X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Quote Originally Posted by onerailunder
    View Post

This is a bit of a wild assed guess, but I'm thinking perhaps the leaves on your input jack aren't making or breaking contact correctly when the cord is plugged in. It may be as simple as reorienting the jack within its cavity so there is enough space for the contacts to move and open and close properly. Alternatively, the contacts on the Ric-O-Sound jack may be inappropriately opened or closed.

Had a similar problem with mine.

I'd also encourage you to ask on the Ric Resource Forum.

it's a 330. there's no ric-o-sound.

additionally, when i proposed the master volume wiring scheme at Ric Resource some years ago, they nearly had my head.
    There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there always has been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that "my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge." - Isaac Asimov, Newsweek (21 January 1980)

Comment

I have the blender on my 360. Works like a charm but I find it pretty unneccessary. My pickups seem to be pretty well balanced volume-wise. I have more problems with the output jack and have to plug and unplug a few times before both pickups are at the same volume. This may be the problem you are encountering. When it is not working right, I only get bridge pickup signal or very low neck pickup output.. I unplug and snap the jack in hard and then it works fine.
      "I've got a briefcase of thin air. I can play some tricks on you, pretend that I don't care." The Contrast

Comment

Quote Originally Posted by Help!I'maRock!
        View Post

additionally, when i proposed the master volume wiring scheme at Ric Resource some years ago, they nearly had my head.

Were it my guitar, I would probably jumper the legs on the bridge volume pot and possibly tone pot and see if it made a marked difference. If it did, voila, bad pot, your bridge pickup sounds strangled and the blender knob doesn't do much. Alternatively, you could desolder the pot and measure its resistance and desolder the pickup and measure its resistance and rule them out.

You could also write to RIC and send it back. It does sound like something is clearly wrong given your description.

GREC: that's a humbucker stuffed into a Ric pickup cover. Shouldn't it have had toaster pickups in '69?
        Hear our stuff at: theprettyvoices.bandcamp.com

Comment

View Post

Were it my guitar, I would probably jumper the legs on the bridge volume pot and possibly tone pot and see if it made a marked difference. If it did, voila, bad pot, your bridge pickup sounds strangled and the blender knob doesn't do much. Alternatively, you could desolder the pot and measure its resistance and desolder the pickup and measure its resistance and rule them out.

You could also write to RIC and send it back. It does sound like something is clearly wrong given your description.

GREC: that's a humbucker stuffed into a Ric pickup cover. Shouldn't it have had toaster pickups in '69?
          Hear our stuff at: theprettyvoices.bandcamp.com

Comment

View Post

it's a 6 year old guitar. by RIC standards, it's out of warranty. there's nothing here a tech can't take care of.
            There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there always has been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that "my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge." - Isaac Asimov, Newsweek (21 January 1980)

Comment

View Post

+1

Howie, my 360 has Hi Gains, and the're some of the hottest pickups I've seen in single coils. They're as hot as some PAFs I've had. DC coil resistance isn't everything when it comes to pickup output, but I measured mine, and the coils measured 11.5K ohms. That's quite a bit more than a P90 (which is typically 8K ohms). It sounds to me like something's wrong with your wiring. It ould also be due to the frequency response being different (due to the picku design), making them sound off to you.
              Guitars I Have (and Play)

Gretsch G6119-1962FT Tennessee Rose

2006 Mapleglo Rickenbacker 360

2012 Fender Esquire

2012 Squier Modified Jaguar - not the humbucker one, the traditional one

Guild D125-12, 12-string acoustic

Amps

Early 90s Teal Stripe Peavey Bandit (the earliest Transtube Peavey)

Comment

I called Chris at Pick of the Ricks, which is where i bought the guitar from, and described my issue with the blender knob. he said it's working exactly as intended. that being the case, it's time for me to look into a master volume setup. there's no reason to have two knobs to work the volume on the neck pickup.

Comment

I have a 650 that I had a love/hate with. Plays great but was struggling to get really rocking tones out of the humbuckers. I rewired it so the 2 tone knobs run as spin-a-splits, with a master blend and a master volume + the 3-way toggle.

This wiring gives me a huge range of tones between single-coil and full humbucker. I've found that a blend pot has a very nice sonic peculiarity - e.g. with the 3-way toggled to solo neck, when I turn the blend pot to favour the bridge, it rolls down the volume without muddying up the tone like rolling down the volume pot does.

Ric pickups are low output - which has some sonic advantages - so I use a clean-boost right at the beginning of my chain. No biggie - I need it for my strat and tele as well.

Many of the "blend" pots out there don't shut off completely on the extremes. I had this issue with StewMac and with Bourns. The only ones I've found that do are the generic blend pots at Allparts. But you have to put them on a meter to make sure they go zero to 100 because I've found some duds. Allparts will do an exchange though.
                  --------------------------------
                  www.VerneAndru.com

Comment

From Rickenbacker's website:

All Rickenbacker pickups are

adjusted by two screws, one on

each side of the pickup. For the

standard high gain and super high

gain Rickenbacker pickups which

are mounted on a piece of flexible

foam rubber, as on series 300 and

600 guitars, only the middle screw

of the three screws on each side of

the pickup is used for readjustment. To lower the pickup, simply

tighten down each of the two

screws clockwise. To raise the

pickup, loosen both screws counterclockwise.

Additionally, all Rickenbacker

standard
                    i have come to the conclusion that he is some form of god. no mere mortal has that many guitars/pedals/amp/anything. "It boggles my mind. His collection is the most glorious and true expression of GAS.To each his own though. Amazing collection of beauties. It takes some seriously messed up OCD to compile a collection like that.I hate BBreaker. Damn, I hate him.Suck it.We learned that bbreaker is some sort of god. A god of whine.fk this guy.

Comment

The way that fifth knob works is, when you have both pickups selected, it varies from full both pickups to just the bridge pickup. But, even if it's turned down, you can still switch to just the neck pickup and it still works. If you have the "blend" knob turned all the way down, it may be a bit quieter, but that's not a problem if the neck pickup is hotter.

It DOES allow you to do things that are impossible, or at least very difficult, with just the regular two volume controls. In my experience, when just using volume controls, there's a miniscule range of the control that serves to blend the signals, and as soon as you get beyond that, there's not much effect. The Rickenbacker fifth knob gives you a full sweep of useable blend.

If you don't like it, or it's not doing anything you feel you can use, just turn it all the way up, and it's like it's not there. But once I got the hang of it (I have a 360), I've found that mine is very useful. At one time I had a 330 that a previous owner had wired such that the fifth knob went the other way, i.e., it went from both pickups on full to just the neck pickup, but I put it back to stock wiring, because I like having the option of dialing in just a bit of extra thickness to go with the bridge pickup chime.

That doesn't address the possible problem you're having with your bridge pickup. The easiest way to figure out if it's broken or if its supposed to be like that is to find somebody else who has a Rick and compare. Or go into a store that carries them and try some. If you're in NYC, you've got options.
                      My band: www.dec8de.com

Comment

The bridge pickup has a strangle cap wired in. Jump the .0047 cap (between the bridge vol pot and the switch). That will fix the "pinched" sound issue.

Comment

Quote Originally Posted by Little Ricky
                          View Post

The bridge pickup has a strangle cap wired in. Jump the .0047 cap (between the bridge vol pot and the switch). That will fix the "pinched" sound issue.

couldn't i just cut the cap out?

Comment

Then you'd have no connection between the pot and switch. You can remove the cap and reconnect the 2 open wiring ends or just a small loop of wire tacked to both sides of the cap as a bypass.

Comment

Opened it up this morning. Cap isn't there. Next idea?

Comment

View Post

Opened it up this morning. Cap isn't there. Next idea?

Pix of innards.
                                >>>Click here for my list of smooooov deals!

Comment

Working...
                                X